Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
‘Really didn’t like that’: Tigers gun recounts ‘stop the game’ pleas after star teammate’s concussion

David Zita
Fox Sports
June 28th, 2022 9:47 pm

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt believes play should’ve been stopped more quickly in the aftermath of Dion Prestia’s concussion during Saturday’s blockbuster against Geelong.

As medical staff convened around Prestia, play continued to resume, with the Fox Footy commentary team baffled at the continuation, which eventually resulted in a goal to Cats forward Tyson Stengle.

“I was screaming at the umpires, I think there was probably a few of us saying ‘stop the game’ because clearly he was knocked out,” Riewoldt said on AFL 360.

“I’m a bit flat about the minute-and-a-half of play after this; there were multiple times to stop the game. Blokes are kicking the ball over the top of him and the doctors. I thought that could’ve been handled a lot better.

“It’s the duty of care ... you’ve got three medical people looking over a player that’s knocked out in the vicinity of play in the protected zone - it could’ve nearly been 50 metres, he was in the protected zone - and we continued to play that game.

“From a safety point of view I really didn’t like that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/te...g/news-story/eea1bd5fe9b9eddc1010b22196adb3ba
Well said Jack

Good to know players asking for the game to be stopped. That should counter the argument that it is partly RFCs fault for not asking for the game to be stopped. All eyes are on the common sense of the umpires for failing to look after a player's welfare.

Reactions: 5 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Well said Jack

Good to know players asking for the game to be stopped. That should counter the argument that it is partly RFCs fault for not asking for the game to be stopped. All eyes are on the common sense of the umpires for failing to look after a player's welfare.
Seems to me that Geelong's Hawkins was also gesturing to the umpires telling them to stop the game also.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Well said Jack

Expect Jack to have 7 frees paid against him this week.

• Angry

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
AFL have embarrassed themselves again with this one. Ticked it off, no comment, fair dinkum.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
AFL have embarrassed themselves again with this one. Ticked it off, no comment, fair dinkum.
No comment isn’t ticking it off. That’s running away from it, which is something they’re really good at. Bet they’ll stop the future games for injuries, though. Pack of hypocrites.

Reactions: 7 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
No comment isn’t ticking it off. That’s running away from it, which is something they’re really good at. Bet they’ll stop the future games for injuries, though. Pack of hypocrites.
I thought they 'ticked it off' then copped a heap of scorn, then said 'no comment' ?

On sen and elsewhere they copped a pasting, the pundits basically called it a farce and said they should just admit they got it wrong, and not doing so wasn't fooling anyone and embarrassing.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It was brutal last week. Chris Scott calling Jack Riewoldt a has-been cipher. Whoa. It wasn't just playing Zach Guthrie on him (who won) there were other very disrespectful opponents.

Reality is calling.

Umpires are the problem? Well, if Jack is hanging up the boots tonight we could shyly mention that.

You think Zach Guthrie is an insult? Simpson degraded Jack today. Ryan Bozo would not be on any other list. *But Jack kicked 3.* Ben Griffens woulda kicked ten on Bozo.

The staging thing. It's bad.

Shai was mauled on the HFF. Jack baleticilly lawnsurfed 15m making angel arms at the same time. Drew the umpire eye. NO FREE! Shai missed.

Not a minute later, Jack dropped on his knee staging for a too high. Poor skill. Entitlement. HTB and rightly.

The ball rockets to VFA player BadMullet just I50. He drops a knee but not to the ground (meets umpire criterion) and draws high contact and the free. Vlastuin? mouths off and gives away 50m.

It was obvious last week. It is again this week. We want Jack to play smarter.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Jack looked like he was playing sorer than usual yesterday. He's one of the players I watch most closely at the game, b/c he's just so smart, he's a joy to watch.

Looked a tad lame at times. Burnt badly on 2 occasions by wayward kicks from Hugo and Jack Graham I think it was. And, Daniel needed to get that goal he got y/day b/c he badly burnt leads from both Lynch and JR. Should have got the round the neck free in the last too.

For me, I hope he goes around again.

But of course, I dont know what plans we have. Watched Bauer in the reserves. Like him but raw.

I'm not worried about the Geelong player beating Jack last week. If we make Sept, then we judge the 16th leading goalkicker of all time. Overtook Kernahan y/day I think.

What a star he has been. love the champ.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I have no idea where this journo got the impression that “Richmond have given the strongest sign yet they’ll re-sign Jack Riewoldt”:

3CE27C3A-87DF-4473-96B3-0D8201AF670B.jpeg

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
It was brutal last week. Chris Scott calling Jack Riewoldt a has-been cipher. Whoa. It wasn't just playing Zach Guthrie on him (who won) there were other very disrespectful opponents.

Reality is calling.

Umpires are the problem? Well, if Jack is hanging up the boots tonight we could shyly mention that.

You think Zach Guthrie is an insult? Simpson degraded Jack today. Ryan Bozo would not be on any other list. *But Jack kicked 3.* Ben Griffens woulda kicked ten on Bozo.

Shai was mauled on the HFF. Jack baleticilly lawnsurfed 15m making angel arms at the same time. Drew the umpire eye. NO FREE! Shai missed.

Not a minute later, Jack dropped on his knee staging for a too high. Poor skill. Entitlement. HTB and rightly.

The ball rockets to VFA player BadMullet just I50. He drops a knee but not to the ground (meets umpire criterion) and draws high contact and the free. Vlastuin? mouths off and gives away 50m.

i want jack to play younger.
but he cant.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Reality is calling.

I was at the game and there was a reason why Jack only touched it a few times (and goaled when he did), and it was because Bazzo had hold of him for the entire reaking game. Jack should have his own entrant to the me2 movement with the amount of touching he got against West Coast. The fact that the umpires continually saw it and basically refused to pay him a free is a disgrace. If they were fair dinkum, Jack would have had about 15 frees for the game. It was nothing about him sooking it up, or staging for frees, the only way that actually paid him one was when he went flying across the turf. Anyone other time and it was "nothing to see here".

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Should Jack get another year?
IMHO he’s playing well enough and deserves to go around again in 2023

Reactions: 1 user

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Given the circumstances we need Jack more than ever.He needs to marshall the forward line and further to that why not a full forward line of Cumberland,Jack,and new comer Bauer to see whether his new tube reel was not fake!

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Yes he should get another year. We have no one to replace him.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I thought he was pretty damn good the other night playing virtually a solo hand. Definitely gets another year IMO. Goal scorers at AFL level are not easy to replace & nobody is putting pressure on is spot. Only way he retires is if we have our eye on a ready made replacement.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yep absolutely he gets one more so does Cotch.

He will be mentoring Bauer also and any other young forward we bring in.

He's got one more trip in him.