Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you were being kind you would say him taking his opponent into Rioli Jnr when Jnr was out was incredibly poor.

If you were being honest you could say a lot more.
I think I said "Bloody hell, Jack!" or something to that effect. Might have been a touch stronger.

Reactions: 1 users

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
If you were being kind you would say him taking his opponent into Rioli Jnr when Jnr was out was incredibly poor.

If you were being honest you could say a lot more.
That was a shocker. I hope he apologised to MoJu after that one.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
can't look at the possessions alone and the coaches won't be either.

it's oppo rebound, forward tackles, time in forward half, forward efficiency, etc etc

by the end of the season a cumbo or a bauer might match his possies whilst providing more of the defensive intangibles. might even happen sooner.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Due to his age Jack is a very different footballer to what he started as,

He just doesn't have his leap anymore, so when it's a high contest or even one on one he is a shadow of what he used to be. Likewise when the ball hits the ground.

But when we have clean ball transitioning to the forward line he is still the smartest forward in the league timing his lead. Despite his lack of pace he just gets separation at the right time. That quality is the best it's been.

Gunna be a tough one for the club - The pressure will come down to how well the team is playing Win/Loss wise.

Reactions: 7 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Due to his age Jack is a very different footballer to what he started as,

He just doesn't have his leap anymore, so when it's a high contest or even one on one he is a shadow of what he used to be. Likewise when the ball hits the ground.

But when we have clean ball transitioning to the forward line he is still the smartest forward in the league timing his lead. Despite his lack of pace he just gets separation at the right time. That quality is the best it's been.

Gunna be a tough one for the club - The pressure will come down to how well the team is playing Win/Loss wise.
Couldn't run and didn't chase towards the end of the game. Suspect he wont need to be told that it becomes more difficult to justify selection when that occurs.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
That was a shocker. I hope he apologised to MoJu after that one.
I saw it differently. Opponent would have just come in and smashed through Rioli. It's another example of him making the wrong decision. He's a small (very small) , he should know where his tall forward is and stay front and centre. It's a learning process.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I saw it differently. Opponent would have just come in and smashed through Rioli. It's another example of him making the wrong decision. He's a small (very small) , he should know where his tall forward is and stay front and centre. It's a learning process.

Nar, he led him there. It was really clear at the ground while the ball was in air, Jnr had his man turned around, Riewoldt should have turned and headed towards goal, leaving his man to decide whether to go forward to Rioli or stay with him.

If his man went at Rioli, Riewoldt would have likely been the only man standing and strolled into goal.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Nar, he led him there. It was really clear at the ground while the ball was in air, Jnr had his man turned around, Riewoldt should have turned and headed towards goal, leaving his man to decide whether to go forward to Rioli or stay with him.

If his man went at Rioli, Riewoldt would have likely been the only man standing and strolled into goal.
Fair enough, I wasn't there but imo the tall makes the decision and the small (particularly non-marking small) gets out the way.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough, I wasn't there but imo the tall makes the decision and the small (particularly non-marking small) gets out the way.
Nah, Moju had position under the high incoming. Jaaack came thundering up with his opponent in hot pursuit n crashed through Moju. Jaaack could easily have stayed out n kept his opponent from being able to influence, let Moju have a crack at the ball n been there to help out if Moju flubbed it. Instead he ended up taking Moju n himself out of the contest

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
What Jack has lost in speed he makes up for in using his experience in making space for his teammates to flourish. Easy to say he missed a couple of goals but the same can be said about others yesterday so it is one of those things

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yep.
He’s obviously not the future, but until someone is ready to take over his experience and what he provides is still valuable in the team.
That time is close. He's still capable of doing the smart things. He's Jack Riewoldt..Superstar. Nothing new there.
However there comes a time where you're holding back the future.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I get that Jack is slowing down and isn't the player he was. But it is too early for the club to make the call on him yet for a number of reasons.

Firstly, we have a very different looking forward line at the moment, very tall then you throw Dusty into the mix. The coaches have a plan and I think at the moment it is taking time to gel. We need to monitor things before making harsh calls.

Secondly, the lack of defensive effort by Jack doesn't recognise what is happening up the ground. I thought Jack looked reasonable when we were creating forward half turnovers in the 1st half, with a lot of these actually coming from midfield pressure. In the 3rd qtr, Adelaide opened us right up in the middle which allowed their defenders to move the ball forward more confidently. We were terrible in stopping them in transition in that qtr. We tightened things up in the last qtr, and Jack looked dangerous again. I refer to my previous comment regarding Jack in the 2017 GF. He ran down opponents that day, mainly due to the tremendous zoning which stifled the Crows run out of defence and made them hesitant.

Thirdly, I don't think we have anyone ready to take his place just yet. KB and Bauer are no where near there yet.