Jake Aarts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake Aarts

Efficient disposals is a *smile* stat.
Disagree. In conjunction with consideration of other stats it can tell you a lot. 7 efficient disposals from 12 despite 6 handballs and only 5 contested possessions is poor. I suppose the 5 turnovers is BS stat as well. I saw the game. Thought first quarter Rioli was good, was getting front and centre and creating opportunities. After that, other than that great bit of play where he went for a run, thought he was very poor. Momentum killer. You can't seriously say he was any good against Geelong.

As I said splitting hairs. There's an argument for all 3 being dropped.

Last edited:
Whatever else, Aarts took his chances and kicked his goals, more than most of the forward line did. Won't be dropped.

Aarts kicked a few in the first half and saved his spot because he has been ordinary for a few weeks now. I thought Daniel’s first quarter was as good as I have seen him play for quite a while and then he disappeared apart from the run in the 2nd. Castagna was totally invisible apart from the comedic kick.
We do need to do something with our front half.

Reactions: 4 users
We routinely line up with Jack and Tom in the Goal square. Three opposition players in front of them. Rioli, Castagna, Ross, Aarts hanging out on the fifty metre line, two of which immediately push into the midfield/on to the wing.
I only get to watch on TV, so can't see as much as you.

Have we been using this configuration and approach since Lynch arrived at the club?

If we are doing something differently to what got us the last two flags, why would that be?

I only get to watch on TV, so can't see as much as you.

Have we been using this configuration and approach since Lynch arrived at the club?

If we are doing something differently to what got us the last two flags, why would that be?
This is basically what we've done since 6-6-6.

Although the cattle has changed, along with the game style and rules.

The extra distance and freedom for the guy kicking out has reduced the usefulness of our small forward line considerably. Castagna is suffering in particular.

But, I still think it's just a minor balance fix. The problem at the moment is not Lynch/Jack/Rioli/Castagna. They've been pretty constant through our success. It's that our fifth and six are Aarts and Ross or Graham. Previously, it's been Lambert/Prestia/Soldo/Caddy/Higgins.

Any one of which demanded an opponent, or took one out of the equation.

We may have had to make a change from what worked in previous years anyway considering the rule changes.

Aarts really really does not help.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Aarts hitting up to the spots George used to hit?

I think it happens, But how often?

George hits a contest very hard. Aarts is strong when stationary. The moderate demise of George at the contest. The emergence of Aarts. There's a link.

Is Aarts hitting up to the spots George used to hit?

I think it happens, But how often?

George hits a contest very hard. Aarts is strong when stationary. The moderate demise of George at the contest. The emergence of Aarts. There's a link.
Pickett in the centre, George on the wing, like last year's grand final.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought he was good when in the middle. Strong over the ball and hard at it.

Reactions: 7 users
He's improving, still not totally convinced but not giving up on him like I have felt like doing at times.

Not fast so really needs to be competitive in pressure situations and take a few marks.

DS

I've been a 'drop Aarts' advocate for nothing more or less than his athletic limitations. But he is a mature, hard body housing a tough, determined character, and he did some nice work in tight when he went on-ball. I stand by my call that 100% of Aarts is 90% of an AFL footballer, but with our outs, that'll do right now. Plenty of other teams are rolling out blokes lucky to break 50%.

Unfortunately for Jake, 100% of Sydney Stack is roughly 150% of an AFL footballer.

Reactions: 2 users
Aarts will not die wondering. Has an appetite for the contest and a goal. Has had a couple of good weeks. Those wanting him replaced with first gamers/novices are way off the mark.

Reactions: 1 users
I like that he doesn't lose his feet as he is very strong over the ball. He is poor aerially though (which hurts us given how we like to bomb it into our F50) and he lacks some zip. Perhaps small forward isn't his best position. Does he have the tank to play midfield?

Reactions: 1 user
Aarts will not die wondering. Has an appetite for the contest and a goal. Has had a couple of good weeks. Those wanting him replaced with first gamers/novices are way off the mark.

yeah, gives everything he has. Holds his place again. And a nice "soccer goal" too.

The goal was brilliant. I think it was Dermie who noted he kicked it with the instep, like a soccer player would. Curled it in beautifully.

Reactions: 1 users