Jake Aarts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake Aarts

we have heaps of players with heads as hard as cats, who dont crumple to the ground in a tackle and get pinged for HTB 3 times a game.

like I said, Jake plays a role when we need him too,

but I'll be astounded if he gets a medal around his neck

Reactions: 1 user
It must be his VFL years played and the relaxation in that comp of not being called for holding the ball. In the AFL over the last couple of years he gets pinged a couple of times a game for dragging it in (hoping for a ball up) Surely a coach should be working on that with him.

It's been a very low bar, but he's been our best small forward all year

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah was good first half but seems to go missing when pressure is ramped up and we are under the pump. Bit of a downhill skiier actually. Looks good when team is flying but the moment things turn he goes missing.

I thought he was poor. Again.

Got involved for about ten minutes in the second quarter.

Stole two goals from Martin.

Let both Jack and Tom be double teamed all night by being the least threatening forward in the league.

Did he get a touch when the heat went on? Or at any point in the second half?

I can't stand our forward line right now.

We routinely line up with Jack and Tom in the Goal square. Three opposition players in front of them. Rioli, Castagna, Ross, Aarts hanging out on the fifty metre line, two of which immediately push into the midfield/on to the wing.

I sit right next to that 50 metre line. I'm sure I could see Tom Stewart laughing.

It looks impossible to kick a winning score.

We need a rebalancing. CCJ must play forward. Make their defenders accountable. Aarts is the obvious out. One of Baker/Bolton (and when ready MRJ) need to be permanently stationed at the feet of the three talls. Castagna also needs a rest.

And we need to equalise numbers. Something we've never really done.

Doggies lack of key posts papered over some cracks. Make no mistake, the last 5 weeks have been the worst we've had since 2016. We must do something. And Aarts is not the answer.

Reactions: 6 users
George is still visibly making life difficult for his opponents.

Aarts is asking Lynch to give him the ball in the goal square so that he doesn't go goalless.
Stats show in last 3 games, Aarts has kicked 5 more goals, had more tackles, had more pressure act points, more contested possies than Castagna. It's obvious who's working harder atm and it aint George.

Reactions: 3 users
ive been guilty of it , however I think Aarts is just an easy target for lazy criticism at times , he’s a lack of polish type player, who rarely gets credit when plays well, but is harshly jumped on when he has a poor one, I’d like to say he’s not best 22, however he is in Dimmas eyes atm , just my thoughts I’ve had for a long time, I don’t like having both George and Arts in the same forward line, I’d rather have another classy forward

Reactions: 1 users
Stats show in last 3 games, Aarts has kicked 5 more goals, had more tackles, had more pressure act points, more contested possies than Castagna. It's obvious who's working harder atm and it aint George.
George wouldn't be in my forward line either. But he's a three time premiership player.

ive been guilty of it , however I think Aarts is just an easy target for lazy criticism at times , he’s a lack of polish type player, who rarely gets credit when plays well, but is harshly jumped on when he has a poor one, I’d like to say he’s not best 22, however he is in Dimmas eyes atm , just my thoughts I’ve had for a long time, I don’t like having both George and Arts in the same forward line, I’d rather have another classy forward
I don't think you'd put Rioli in the classy category either. Hopefully MJR becomes that class we've been waiting for.

Yep CT’s assessment of Aarts is extremely harsh. I’m not totally sold on Jake but the fact is he is having more impact than George or Dan who are both surviving on past glories. Neither have given us much at all this season and on Friday night both were invisible. The question was asked where was Jake when the heat was on; well was Jack (4 possessions and one mark for the entire game); where was Tom; where were George and Dan?? All 4 were MIA.

But CT’s assessment of our forward line is spot on. It is horrible and really hard to watch. Has been all season apart from the Saints game and a half against the Dogs. We certainly need to change something as the current system isn’t working and is real ugly to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Rioli had more of the ball than Aarts and has been better in most games this year.

Jake Aarts at 100% is 90% of an AFL footballer.

Yep CT’s assessment of Aarts is extremely harsh. I’m not totally sold on Jake but the fact is he is having more impact than George or Dan who are both surviving of past glories. Neither have given us much at all this season and on Friday night both were invisible. The question was asked where was Jake when the heat was on; well was Jack (4 possessions and one mark for the entire game); where was Tom; where were George and Dan?? All 4 were MIA.

But CT’s assessment of our forward line is spot on. It is horrible and really hard to watch. Has been all season apart from the Saints game and a half against the Dogs. We certainly need to change something as the current system isn’t working and is real ugly to watch.

George started the season pretty well but has been ordinary the last 3 weeks.

Rioli had more of the ball than Aarts and has been better in most games this year.

Jake Aarts at 100% is 90% of an AFL footballer.

Rioli had 7 efficient disposals, Aarts had 10.

Rioli v Aarts 2021

Who's been better this season? It's splitting hairs really. If we had alternatives you could make a case for all of Rioli, Catsagna, Aarts being dropped. They've all under performed.

Rioli had 7 efficient disposals, Aarts had 10.

Rioli v Aarts 2021

Who's been better this season? It's splitting hairs really. If we had alternatives you could make a case for all of Rioli, Catsagna, Aarts being dropped. They've all under performed.
Efficient disposals is a *smile* stat.

I would note Danny's brilliant solo effort when he outpointed then ran away from Atkins at half back led to an on-a-platter goal for Aarts, who ignored George on his own in the goal square.

Reactions: 3 users