Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Joel Bowden

Needed to go at the end of last year. Looked completely out of his depth last night. I want improvement, not same old, same old.

tha8ball said:
Didnt we go through all of this las tyr...we dropped him and a few others....brought them back...god its like a bad song on the radio that just keeps gettin played and played...just answer me the question - why would you play a guy like Bowden over a guy like Rance?

So true 8ty. 'He's a slow starter' they say. Then why is he playing in the seniors?!

I have never even seen Rance play senior footy but surely he'd have to be a better option that what Bowdo served up the other night.

I had fears before the season started that we were top heavy with 6 over 30 fading stars and it hasn't taken long to bite.

Already this season we've seen:

Johnson - Injured knee. Out indefinitely.

Cousins - Reinjure his hamstring. Out for likely 6 weeks.

Brown - Struggled for pace. Poor tackler. Best looks behind him.

Simmonds - Needs to wear glasses. Taken to the cleaners by the Blues rucks.

Richardson - 34 and still honest in his performance but not getting better. Poor tackler.

and then there's Bowdo who IMO should just about have his papers stamped after the other night.
I have been a fan but the warning signs have been there for a while that he's not the player he was, despite a couple of good efforts last year.

Terry should have had the balls to at least cut Sugar at the end of last year but his desire to see us limp into the 8 caused us not only to keep him but go out and recruit another player who's best is likely behind him.

These 30+ players need to be outright stars to justify their position on the list let alone the team sadly Bowdo can't lay claim to that status.

Should be first name called out for Coburg next week.

Just put Joel back at HBF and let him get his usual massive amount of possessions. We are a much better team when he is creating stuff from back there. It's a total waste to have him up forward, that's not his game.

Tigerblood said:
Just put Joel back at HBF and let him get his usual massive amount of possessions. We are a much better team when he is creating stuff from back there. It's a total waste to have him up forward, that's not his game.
If he's in the team I tend to agree. Would much rather the ball was in his hands than the nervous and inept kicking from HB that we saw last week from McMahon, Raines, Newman, Thursfield and even Foley.

Joel should have been sent packing at the end of 2007. He is a slow unaccountable footballer who dithers and messes up the forward thrusts with his sideways lets go via the flanks play. The only benefit of playing Joel is that the supporters on the wings get to see the action close up as he constantly takes the ball out wide. he frustrates me and is over rated, very over rated by all. He only does what he has to when the axe is hanging....well swing it now and send him to the Burgers where he can finish his career without embarrassing us and himself! He is holding up kids who will play in a Tiger premiership and like Tiva before him deserves no favours. He and Johnson should have been shafted last year and they should join Brown at the end of this year....along with Pettifer! Shheeesh how soft are we to keep these guys on a list when they have demonstrated their inability to sustain their efforts.

Tigers of Old said:
These 30+ players need to be outright stars to justify their position on the list let alone the team sadly Bowdo can't lay claim to that status.

Its our dependency of these players that worries me the most.
But if you analyse our rebuilding process during the last 5 years, we needed to keep a core group of senior players to build around.
Unfortunately, 5 years later, not enough players have stepped up - nor developed - to fill these shoes.
I think you'll find if we commence another re building phase we are going to struggle to again.
So the question to be asked, how do we work a rebuilding solution to this current position we often find ourselves?

Tigerblood said:
no we are not he just adds to the problem of ring a ring a rosy.

somewhere sometime the club ill have to rcognise that the bowdens etc have been part of a malaise that has all but crippled the club. grossly overrated players who fail under pressure has always been part of the problem.
who in their right mind would want to persevere with bowden and others and still cop 80 point thrashings rather than actually do something to change things and play more kids is beyond me.

when are supporters actually going to sit down and be honest with themselves and appraise our players and their performances honestly. *smile* should have had his papers stamped at the end of 2004.

Skills said:
Its our dependency of these players that worries me the most.
But if you analyse our rebuilding process during the last 5 years, we needed to keep a core group of senior players to build around.
Unfortunately, 5 years later, not enough players have stepped up - nor developed - to fill these shoes.
I think you'll find if we commence another re building phase we are going to struggle to again.
So the question to be asked, how do we work a rebuilding solution to this current position we often find ourselves?

Favour kids ahead of those seniors who are struggling.

The problem this season is that many have expected these older player's performance to remain at the same level whilst those younger players come up but the harsh reality is that whilst some are deteriorating faster than others they are mostly all in decline. This was a real fear of having so many in the twilight class. Injuries and drop in form were a very high probability and it wouldn't take much for us to slide back down the ladder..

March made no secret of expecting improvement on 9th spot but has been been vocal in saying Wallace will only keep his job if he's satisfied with our overall progression of youth. Looking through the team how many youngsters have come on under Wallace's coaching??

Problem is now that our coach is between a rock and a hard place.
They must seriously consider getting rid of Wallace now because he is compromised between playing declining footballers in the hope of saving his job. Taking him out of the equation early doesn't waste any more time than has been already and hopefully we can recsue something from the coming season.

Tigers of Old said:
March made no secret of expecting improvement on 9th spot but has been been vocal in saying Wallace will only keep his job if he's satisfied with our overall progression of youth. Looking through the team how many youngsters have come on under Wallace's coaching??

Problem is now that our coach is between a rock and a hard place.
They must seriously consider getting rid of Wallace now because he is compromised between playing declining footballers in the hope of saving his job. Taking him out of the equation early doesn't waste any more time than has been already and hopefully we can recsue something from the coming season.
Another poor to mediocre performance against the Cats on saturday will leave Plough no option but to get games into the kids.
Marchfly will not allow Wallace a new contract if we stumble into seventh or eighth on the back of stellar years by the old guys.
Plough must get the young up and comers stamping their mark on the game with some of the youngsters pressuring the old guys out of their spots. If this happens he will be a chance to get a renewal.
To simply try coaching for eighth spot to save his job and not progress the kids will guarantee a coaching vacancy at years end.

yes joel played average on thurs, along with 20 others. yes hes getting on. maybe he should have been asked to retire but lets keep critism to reality.

the claw said:
*smile* should have had his papers stamped at the end of 2004.
we should have delisted him before he was dual AA? mmmmm.

the claw said:
grossly overrated players who fail under pressure has always been part of the problem.

that would be joel who kicked the goal with secs left to win us the game, who took the matchwinning mark backing back into the leading forward to win us the game, who had the calmness to walk back over the line rather than kick the ball to a contest to win us the game. seems to handle pressure alright.

Dean Hart Northey said:
He is a slow unaccountable footballer

he has repeatedly shown when given a job on a suitable opponent that he can beat them.
Dean Hart Northey said:
messes up the forward thrusts with his sideways lets go via the flanks play. The only benefit of playing Joel is that the supporters on the wings get to see the action close up as he constantly takes the ball out wide.

did you watch carlton regularly go down the wing? did you watch geelong repeatedly switch play? that is how football is played now. teams switch play to get round flooding, or zoning. if the first switch doesnt work they switch back again.

Dean Hart Northey said:
is over rated, very over rated by all.

certainly not over rated on here. must be those AA selectors who know nothing.

wayne said:
That's why guys like him play half-assed games, they know they won't be dropped.

im sure thats it. he only tries when he has to so he wont get dropped.

Jukes Extended said:
Belongs in the backline.

His declining athletic ability means that he really struggles to find a match up in the back line anymore where he won't be exposed one on one.