Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Joel Bowden

once again *smile* escapes the ire of the feral masses. poor again today is stopping the development of a kid. the games past him.

I think he is past it, I dont think many other clubs would have him now as part of their plans.

the claw said:
once again *smile* escapes the ire of the feral masses. poor again today is stopping the development of a kid. the games past him.

Was interesting to see Joel lining up on Minson. Looked a lot like the coach had given up on developing his KPD's.

You are right though Claw. We are not going to win a flag so Joel should be left at Coburg. He is a smart guy and would probably be good with the youngsters coming through the system.

Dropped!!!1 Mate he should have been dumped 2 years ago. He is too old, too slow, too indecisive.

Now watch the bleeding hearts come out about how he won us a game or two last year. He rates amongst the poorest players now and by keeping him in the team makes us a laughing stock. Be tough Tigers.....bump Bowden, King, Tambling, Schulz and Brown. Get kids who want to play.....

I think this thread has been duplicated around the same time every year for the past 3 seasons.
Bowden should have been retired last year, 2 years ago in fact, but the fact he's still on the list is a shocking decision

Time to drop him again and see if the team lifts exponentially with him out of the side like it did last year, personally I think he should be Gaspared.

Time to retire. No future in giving Joel a game. Retirement game this week and see you later. Rance has to be persevered with in Bowden's role for the rest of 2009.

Dean Hart Northey said:
Now watch the bleeding hearts come out about how he won us a game or two last year. He rates amongst the poorest players now and by keeping him in the team makes us a laughing stock. Be tough Tigers.....bump Bowden, King, Tambling, Schulz and Brown. Get kids who want to play.....

Bear in mind that Jordan Mc Mahon was BOG for Coburg on the weekend, so any of the "young talent" at the Tigers that you could promote to replace Bowden will be a class below Mc Mahon. Did you get that? A class BELOW Mc Mahon!

Happy for Connors, Cotchin, Vickery, perhaps Collins to be rushed in, but to blame the old blokes when there are 18 relatively young blokes still dishing out rubbish football, is simply shifting the deck chairs again.

ZeroGame said:
personally I think he should be Gaspared.

It's wasteful to give a player an end of season contract extension then dump them early in the next season like what happened to Gas.  I hope none of our players are ever Gaspared.

Joel has been far from our worst player this year so it indicates the team wasn't selected on form. I hope he hasn't been made a scapegoat and that form is still a criteria for selection so players have to actually earn their spots rather than have them gifted.

rosy23 said:
It's wasteful to give a player an end of season contract extension then dump them early in the next season like what happened to Gas. I hope none of our players are ever Gaspared.
AGree,the Gaspargate was a adisgrace

The Bowden omission is bordering on farcical.

The Club may be embarrassed at the end of the year when he is in the top 5 of the B and F count after 12 rounds - then all of a sudden his voting comes to a halt. This is a 200 game player, dual All Australian player we are talking about.

He is absolutley a scapegoat for the ineptness of club recruiting and poor output from a high percentage of other players. A highly flexible and valuable player, thrown all over the place to plug holes in many ordinary teams. Very, very smart.

Surely long and well performed servants of the club - particularly as he has been through a terrible era with little support - should be treated with more respect. Why would a club expect loyalty from it's players, when this happens in return?

I do not buy the argument that it needs to be done for the good of the Club - rubbish. You have to look after your players to a degree as well. This argument only fuels my argument - that he is a scapegoat for other's poor output in recruiting, playing and coaching..

He should be played (if form holds, and it is fine at the moment) until the end of the year, and given the send off he deserves.
None of the other 4 omissions are an issue for me, and I have been a big Coughlan fan.

It stinks of Knighta all over again (who would want to have a long career at Richmond, fair dinkum. And no I am not saying Bowden is the same class as Knighta - but the theory is the same)

pturls said:
The Bowden omission is bordering on farcical.

The Club may be embarrassed at the end of the year when he is in the top 5 of the B and F count after 12 rounds - then all of a sudden his voting comes to a halt. This is a 200 game player, dual All Australian player we are talking about.

He is absolutley a scapegoat for the ineptness of club recruiting and poor output from a high percentage of other players. A highly flexible and valuable player, thrown all over the place to plug holes in many ordinary teams. Very, very smart.

Surely long and well performed servants of the club - particularly as he has been through a terrible era with little support - should be treated with more respect. Why would a club expect loyalty from it's players, when this happens in return?

I do not buy the argument that it needs to be done for the good of the Club - rubbish. You have to look after your players to a degree as well. This argument only fuels my argument - that he is a scapegoat for other's poor output in recruiting, playing and coaching..

He should be played (if form holds, and it is fine at the moment) until the end of the year, and given the send off he deserves.
None of the other 4 omissions are an issue for me, and I have been a big Coughlan fan.

It stinks of Knighta all over again (who would want to have a long career at Richmond, fair dinkum. And no I am not saying Bowden is the same class as Knighta - but the theory is the same)

Respectfully disagree pturls.

I have always been a fan of Bowden but I think he has played a few shockers in the last month or so and deserves a run in the twos. I'm not saying he should be necessarily stay there though.

He may have polled a few votes in the JD medal count up to this point but his poor performances more than make up for these IMO.

Regardless of how good Bowden CAN be (and I emphasis the word can), he is a complete and utter liability on the defensive end.

Not only is he slow, but he doesn't have the DESIRE to be a shut down defender.

Our problem in the TW years has been our unwillingness to chase and chase and pressure the opposition when we don't have the ball. And Bowden is the worst on our list at this (excluding maybe Pettifer).

He served us well a few years ago when he was our main defender, but he's slowed down a bit since then, and now that we've got better defenders, he's kinda got nowhere to play anyway.

If the criteria was heavily weighted towards rewarding defensive actions, then Joel's dropping was fair.

It also explains the inclusion of Hislop.

pturls said:
This is a 200 game player, dual All Australian player we are talking about.
This shouldn't come into consideration whatsoever when picking the side. Gladly, it looks like it doesn't.

Agree track record & reputation should not be factored into today's decisions. However, is prob 3rd or 4th in our B&F. Clearly ahead of Kel and Luke.

As mentioned by others, he is paying a heavy price for the lousy performances of a number of team mates (Bling, Kel, Thursty, Luke, Raines, Mitch, Jack - even Lids) who appear to have taken VERY tiny steps forward this year

Is the player coming in for him a better player Joel?.......................No
Did he play a bad game last week?................................................No
So why drop him?