Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

Seems Caddy might struggle to slot back into the side on a regular basis.
Not sure where he fits now but if anything I believe he is pretty much a forward and not much else.
He's going to have find a way to be a consistent contributor if he wants to remain in the side come September.

Reactions: 1 user
Not convinced he can play in any other position bar forward.
Therefore he stays in the 2's

Everyone writing Caddy off.
Teammates love playing with him. He makes others walk taller. Reckon he stays.

Yeah I definitely think he will be in the side come September. Be really interesting to see how it all works.

I would like to see him as a third tall fwd - with Chol playing.. we haven’t seen Caddy with lynch and jack yet. Caddy has kicked a lot of goals over the last two years. His marking ability and smarts would be a real test for 3rd tall defenders. I think dusty will have to play a lot of midfield time with Cotchin’s injury problems which might see a need for someone like caddy in the 50. Maybe this new role is all bluff!

If it’s a wet September then Caddy is a must.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely think he will be in the side come September. Be really interesting to see how it all works.

I would like to see him as a third tall fwd - with Chol playing.. we haven’t seen Caddy with lynch and jack yet. Caddy has kicked a lot of goals over the last two years. His marking ability and smarts would be a real test for 3rd tall defenders. I think dusty will have to play a lot of midfield time with Cotchin’s injury problems which might see a need for someone like caddy in the 50. Maybe this new role is all bluff!

If it’s a wet September then Caddy is a must.
Pretty much how I see it too 8b , however I think Chol needs a pre season working with Lynch and Reiwoldt in the forward half, I’ve felt his got in the way a bit and just doesn’t have the footy nous of Caddy to work well with the other 2. I think the 2 big blokes with the hassle of the 3 hasslers with the class, toughness and nous of Caddy is a real good forward half

Reactions: 1 users
We're going to be getting Cotchin and Ross back for the midfield.

Meanwhile Josh and Kam are being trialled back. Josh has Kam covered for aerial ability and smarts in tight contested positions. it may just work, and he can also be swung forward or mid if required. It's an interesting dilemma.

We're going to be getting Cotchin and Ross back for the midfield.

Meanwhile Josh and Kam are being trialled back. Josh has Kam covered for aerial ability and smarts in tight contested positions. it may just work, and he can also be swung forward or mid if required. It's an interesting dilemma.

It is an interesting dilemma. Caddy had 8 intercepts just behind tops for Vlastuin with 9 in his first attempt as a defensive winger/backman. KMac has only ever had 8 or more intercepts once in his career, the last time being in Round 3 2016. Caddy is a much smarter player and better decision maker. KMac is obviously quicker but is that enough to give him the nod over Caddy if the club were to choose one of them for this defensive role?

If I remember correctly Dimma referred to Caddy’s role as a “wing back” aka soccer parlance. It seems the club has a spot reserved for such a role which McIntosh has usually occupied

If I remember correctly Dimma referred to Caddy’s role as a “wing back” aka soccer parlance. It seems the club has a spot reserved for such a role which McIntosh has usually occupied
That would be a big mistake.

Seems like they are trying to find a spot for him in the team. No need for him atm up forward & not really quick enough for the midfield. Still handy off the bench though in any role required.

If we don't play Chol I can see a place for Caddy up forward. You could move Jack further up the ground to make room.

Dunno. No obvious role for him but his hardness, agro and prickness is something you want in finals

Reactions: 2 users
There's no doubt that his spot in the side is under pressure. I do like the cut of his jib though, he's got a fair bit of **** in him, which is a prerequisite for September.
He 's a proud man who won't let us down, you need a player like him in the finals to take it up to the Robinson's, Hodge's, Shuey's, Yeo's, Selwood's Dangerfield's, Greene's, De Boer's of the world.
My prediction is Caddy do be our Towner in the finals.

Reactions: 3 users
Josh Caddy is a forward.
He's not a mid-fielder, winger or half back, as his pace and decision-making in traffic are suspect.
Yes he played his role in September 2017 up forward but like Dan Butler was fortunate to be sucked along in the irresistible Tiger vortex.
Since then he had an ok 2018 getting on the end of plenty of cheapies, but was poor this year when we needed him in Jack's absence.
Now with Lynch in and Jack back, there ain't no spot for him.
So why is Dimma trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?
He does a good job puffing his chest out, but those who say he's a big game performer should replay last year's prelim and search for evidence of any worthwhile contribution.
Which was a problem also at Geelong.
With Caddy (and Butler) I feel Dimma is again reverting to type in prioritising "reputation" over form.
And if that was the criteria, i would still go with McIntosh.
Dan Butler was turgid last week and Caddy was just average in an unsuitable position.
We're three weeks out from finals and i reckon its time for the MC to quit mucking about.

Reactions: 1 users
Josh Caddy is a forward.
He's not a mid-fielder, winger or half back, as his pace and decision-making in traffic are suspect.
Yes he played his role in September 2017 up forward but like Dan Butler was fortunate to be sucked along in the irresistible Tiger vortex.
Since then he had an ok 2018 getting on the end of plenty of cheapies, but was poor this year when we needed him in Jack's absence.
Now with Lynch in and Jack back, there ain't no spot for him.
So why is Dimma trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?
He does a good job puffing his chest out, but those who say he's a big game performer should replay last year's prelim and search for evidence of any worthwhile contribution.
Which was a problem also at Geelong.
With Caddy (and Butler) I feel Dimma is again reverting to type in prioritising "reputation" over form.
And if that was the criteria, i would still go with McIntosh.
Dan Butler was turgid last week and Caddy was just average in an unsuitable position.
We're three weeks out from finals and i reckon its time for the MC to quit mucking about.
Disagree on this.Getting game time for experienced finals players like Caddy,Nanks,Towner 3 weeks out is crucial IMO.If someone becomes lame,having an underprepared player to fill in is fraught with danger.

I'm glad they are trying to piece him in. He is too good to be left out. Building our game around our cattle.