Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

Nothing wrong with fiddling, fudging n tinkering around with your players in the lead up to finals. Keeps the players on their toes and most importantly lets you find alternative options if the *smile* hits the fan during finals time.
Must be able to cover for injured players by adjusting roles both during a game and if someone cops an injury that puts them completely out of finals contention.

Reactions: 1 user
Josh Caddy is a forward.
He's not a mid-fielder, winger or half back, as his pace and decision-making in traffic are suspect.
Yes he played his role in September 2017 up forward but like Dan Butler was fortunate to be sucked along in the irresistible Tiger vortex.
Since then he had an ok 2018 getting on the end of plenty of cheapies, but was poor this year when we needed him in Jack's absence.
Now with Lynch in and Jack back, there ain't no spot for him.
So why is Dimma trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?
He does a good job puffing his chest out, but those who say he's a big game performer should replay last year's prelim and search for evidence of any worthwhile contribution.
Which was a problem also at Geelong.
With Caddy (and Butler) I feel Dimma is again reverting to type in prioritising "reputation" over form.
And if that was the criteria, i would still go with McIntosh.
Dan Butler was turgid last week and Caddy was just average in an unsuitable position.
We're three weeks out from finals and i reckon its time for the MC to quit mucking about.

Think you’re being tough on his 2018 season. Got on the end of a few cheapies?
You don’t get nominated for the 40 man AA squad by hanging out the back.
Now that we have Lynch, his role had to change and we can’t judge him on goals scored every week now. Too good a player to leave on the shelf but agree with others that if we were being really ruthless, he could be traded for need

All I can say is that if we are struggling to find a spot for Josh Caddy we are in good shape.
Made for finals when it gets tough and hard imo.

Reactions: 5 users
All I can say is that if we are struggling to find a spot for Josh Caddy we are in good shape.
Made for finals when it gets tough and hard imo.

100% agree - was just thinking the same thing.
However far we progress this season - and obviously we hope it's to the big dance - we will have some incredibly unlucky and understandably disappointed (fit) players.
But that's just life.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how people think he is surplus to requirements - when he's in the 22 he makes the other 21 walk taller. If nothing else he can be a cannonball anywhere on the ground - Cotch and Towner showed how critical that is in the 2017 finals.

Straight kicking is the other strength Towner brought in 2017, and Caddy has, Graham as well come to think of it. Scoreboard pressure from taking a reasonable amount of your half chances is critical. Its why George is no longer a whipping boy and why there has to be a question mark over Bolton.

Reactions: 1 users
Josh Caddy is a forward.
He's not a mid-fielder, winger or half back, as his pace and decision-making in traffic are suspect.
Yes he played his role in September 2017 up forward but like Dan Butler was fortunate to be sucked along in the irresistible Tiger vortex.
Since then he had an ok 2018 getting on the end of plenty of cheapies, but was poor this year when we needed him in Jack's absence.
Now with Lynch in and Jack back, there ain't no spot for him.
So why is Dimma trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?
He does a good job puffing his chest out, but those who say he's a big game performer should replay last year's prelim and search for evidence of any worthwhile contribution.
Which was a problem also at Geelong.
With Caddy (and Butler) I feel Dimma is again reverting to type in prioritising "reputation" over form.
And if that was the criteria, i would still go with McIntosh.
Dan Butler was turgid last week and Caddy was just average in an unsuitable position.
We're three weeks out from finals and i reckon its time for the MC to quit mucking about.

One has to remember that Caddy's statistics in 2018 stack up favorably with say DeGoey, but under very different circumstances.

DeGoey was a focal point in Collingwood's forward line, being there to score goals.

Caddy' main role was to use his body as a battering ram to bring the ball to ground in an undersized forward line. In that respect he had to sacrafice his own game. Yet he still kicked almost 50 goals. Same could be said for Jack. Most the time these guys fly for the ball, they aren't even trying to mark it, yet Jack took out the Coleman. It's a testament to how good Jack is, and by extension you can say the same about Caddy.

Unfortunately Caddy has been under done all of this season. If he can find his way back to something resembling his best form prior to the finals, we'd just about have it in the bag.

By season's end, i wouldn't be surprised ot see us back to a One ruckman structure with Caddy forward, and pinch hitting in the Grigg role.

Straight kicking is the other strength Towner brought in 2017, and Caddy has, Graham as well come to think of it. Scoreboard pressure from taking a reasonable amount of your half chances is critical. Its why George is no longer a whipping boy and why there has to be a question mark over Bolton.

Hmm, Castagna has kicked 21 18 this year, Bolton 12 9. Why does that make Bolton suspect out of interest?

Thought he looked ok today... definitely went in when it was his turn