Kane Cornes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Cornes

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Have to admit the Carlton matey thing with Gibbs seemed a bit off to me, but maybe that's just me. It's been a tough season and the game didn't mean anything.
It did look a bit odd but in the general scheme of things it’s nothing to get worked up about.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The lockdown has had more people looking at online news and click bait rules supreme. Despite the sackings in various media depts it's the worst clickbaiters that kept their jobs.

Let's hope after the lockdown that the media does start to feel the affects of their crap reporting.

Hutchinson is the worst of the worst, only concerned about the $$ even if it's to the detriment of the game.

Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The lockdown has had more people looking at online news and click bait rules supreme. Despite the sackings in various media depts it's the worst clickbaiters that kept their jobs.

Let's hope after the lockdown that the media does start to feel the affects of their crap reporting.

Hutchinson is the worst of the worst, only concerned about the $$ even if it's to the detriment of the game.
Got his ‘fingers in the pie’ ( probably wrong saying ) but he is in everything these days with more stations.
More than Eddie everywhere.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Count me as another who has essentially "switched off" from footy media.

The AFL website is an appalling resource and it speaks volumes that Adam Curley and Marc McGowan, solid journalists who reported on-the-ground facts in their regions, would be sacked ahead of "newsmakers" such as Damien Barrett and Matthew Lloyd.

I have no interest in Footy Classified, 360 or the Sunday Footy Show. Channel 7s pre- and post-game shows are amongst the most dire things on television, and it's hard to believe anyone is interested in the lightweight puff they dish up at quarter and half time.

On The Couch is probably the best footy show but that's setting a very low bar. I would hope it returns to pure analysis and does away with the peripheral stuff that is creeping in.

Against the grain -- I have time for David King's approach. I struggle a bit with tactics and strategy in today's version of the game and I appreciate data-driven explanations. Given the raft of assistant coaches who are leaving the game this season, I'd love for 3-4 of them to set up a podcast or website or radio show that focused entirely on deep analysis.

Finally, a shout out to the many posters who make this site what it is. I won't name them but those who post ideas that challenge me and fact-based points of view are what keeps me coming back to PRE.

Reactions: 17 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
There's a common thread amongst the 'new' footy media of today.... it is the one only Craig Hutchinson...
His organization has trained, mentored and directed a lot of these fools into their current roles.... many of them starting out in the great American tradition of being an intern, which we here would call an unpaid lackey and bloody unAustralian!
As we know Hutchinson thinks that the sun shines out of the US's bum.
It all started to really fall apart when his sidekick at the time started 'finding' people's medical records!
A very Naasty piece of work this bloke and part of the foundation on which Crudmedia was built.
No need to mention who Hutchinsons mentor was!

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Finally, a shout out to the many posters who make this site what it is. I won't name them but those who post ideas that challenge me and fact-based points of view are what keeps me coming back to PRE.

You are welcome :))

• Haha

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
There's a common thread amongst the 'new' footy media of today.... it is the one only Craig Hutchinson...
Interesting stuff, @aoc1974

The blurring of football commentary and entertainment is part of the trouble.

People have forgotten the game itself is the entertainment and it's the media's primary role to bring it to us in the most professional and well-produced way possible. The EPL coverage remains the benchmark in this regard.

Is there anything more tedious than self-indulgent media folk who want to make the story about themselves?

Guess that brings us right back to Kane Cornes.

Reactions: 6 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Interesting stuff, @aoc1974

The blurring of football commentary and entertainment is part of the trouble.

People have forgotten the game itself is the entertainment and it's the media's primary role to bring it to us in the most professional and well-produced way possible. The EPL coverage remains the benchmark in this regard.

Is there anything more tedious than self-indulgent media folk who want to make the story about themselves?

Guess that brings us right back to Kane Cornes.
A problem not just limited to the AFL media coverage.

Reactions: 1 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
"you can have your Dangers and Martin's but Natanui is the one"

Tbh, I don't mind Cornes but he lost me when spewing forth this hogwash but to prove he wasn't just a simple dumbarse he took it up another notch by adding Natanui is unstoppable and that x clubs have tried but failed... how convenient he completely dismissed NikNats effectiveness against the reigning premiers.

Natanui must of had an off night...

• Haha

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
"you can have your Dangers and Martin's but Natanui is the one"

Tbh, I don't mind Cornes but he lost me when spewing forth this hogwash but to prove he wasn't just a simple dumbarse he took it up another notch by adding Natanui is unstoppable and that x clubs have tried but failed... how convenient he completely dismissed NikNats effectiveness against the reigning premiers.

Natanui must of had an off night...
Im not sure on the stats but off the top of my head it does not seem as though having the dominant ruckman necessarily lead to premiership triumphs for their teams.

Grundy v Vardy/Lycett in 2018.
Jacobs v Nank/Grigg in 2017.
Hawks 3 peat with McEvoy/Bailey/Hale.

History would suggest that a ruckman dominant at centre bounce hitouts isnt necessarily important come GF day.

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
It is a shame. I watch games and Front Bar only on TV. No other footy shows. For Richmond games I have to have the sound turned down.

I used to watch them all a few years ago.

Exactly the same for me. I miss live games a lot. I will listen to the pre-game and post-game podcasts from the likes of MMM and 3AW but only if we win.

On the positive side I was so sick and tired of the crap on 360 and the Couch that I cancelled Foxtel. Nice little saving that can go to the club.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
it's hard to believe anyone is interested in the lightweight puff they dish up at quarter and half time

Suspect discussion is deliberately lightweight to keep the maximum number of people interested. Occasionally they'll offhandedly drop morsels of wisdom which suggest they have much greater insight into e.g. a player's strengths or weaknesses than they're prepared/allowed to go into.

Haven't watched 360 at all this year, never seen Front Bar. Occasionally watch Classified for the tidbits of info but not the personality stuff like Caro's Arrow or Vol-kane-o or whatever it's called. 9's Sunday Footy Show once in a blue moon. Reviews are snapshotted and focus on the obvious and there's very little room for nuance, as though it's catering to people who didn't see the game rather than those who want to know more. You've already seen and heard most of what is on offer.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Got his ‘fingers in the pie’ ( probably wrong saying ) but he is in everything these days with more stations.
More than Eddie everywhere.
probably has his fingers in Eddies 'pie' as well .... :cool:
Hutchys $1 specials coming to a store near you ... the bloke is a disease ..