Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Re: Welcome Liam McBean at pick 33

AstuteTiger said:
South Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy is considered the best big man in this year's crop, but Kevin Sheehan has also nominated Calder Cannons ruckman Liam McBean.
McBean, more than 200cm tall but lightly framed, played mainly as a key defender for Vic Metro at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 championships.

"His agility for a 203cm [player] is rare, which allows him to win ground balls to complement his overhead marking," Sheehan said

Don't listen to Sheehan, this is the same bloke that said that Pettifier had leader written all over him and also said that Hughes could easily the most dominate forward in the comp.
They need to get rid of him, you need someone like Aker doing his job. The truth!
Pick 54 Tim Smith Hobart aker's comments " good overhead, runs all day but can't kick to save himself"
Pick 33 Liam Bake bean " will take a 1000 years to put on weight, he was good in juniors, but in the afl its different story"

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007

THere is a ripper tackle in his highlights package. Certainly has some toe.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Tigerflag2008 said:
THere is a ripper tackle in his highlights package. Certainly has some toe.

Great tackle and pace for sure.

Even better, he seems to have great speed off the mark for a guy his size.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

TigerMasochist said:
Going to take a while for the kid to scrounge a kilo or two of bulk, probably similar to young Cordy from the Doggies.
New ruck rules means the old behemoths will follow the dinosaurs.
Tall mobile spring heeled ruckmen who can tip off like basketballers then actually play footy are back in vogue.

Good post TM. In time this may well be shown to be an inspired pick.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004

AstuteTiger said:
Having seen Liam's highlights reel gee this guy for someone over 2 meters tall is very mobile, skillful, is dual sided and can take a very strong mark....welcome aboard :clap

If he can take a strong mark he's already one step ahead of the Putt's and the Pattison's. Even Graham took very few strong marks, it's really been lacking from our rucklist until Maric came along.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth

His agility is amazing. Saw him on TAC future stars draftstar challenge and he moves incredibly well. I'm calling a good pick here!

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne

Might take till 2015-6 to see if this pick works out ... Ruck rules by then will be ZERO contact and if his ball use is as good as everyone is saying, he may be the modern day ruckman Richmond was able to pluck out of the 2012 draft.

Lets hope he doses a bit better than our last 202cm ruckman ...... Dean Putt (202 cm 89kg!!!!) Zero games.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

Very interesting pick. Very agile for a big guy - good below his knees & pretty neat kicking. If he can fill out without turning into a Richard Lounder (the human tree) & lose his mobility - he could "potentially" become a Dean Cox type player. Clearly I am looking at the bright side of his potential when I make that observation & thats all it is.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

Amazing skillset for such a big man. Dual sided & lovely natural action.

However that wont decide his fait, like all big men it will be his appetite for & love of physical contact that will term his selection a success or failure.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

I'm starting to warm towards Jelly. I reckon he's going to be something special.

Matiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne

Leysy Days said:
Amazing skillset for such a big man. Dual sided & lovely natural action.

However that wont decide his fait, like all big men it will be his appetite for & love of physical contact that will term his selection a success or failure.
Spot on. Needs to learn from big Ivan.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora

I love circumstances sometimes.

My name on You Tube is JellybeanTiger.

Had it for over 5 years.

Robbo1

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2006
Melbourne

Never seen the bloke play and highlight reels whilst looking impressive, could almost get me selected (well 20 years ago).
Wont call a good pick yet but compare the enviroment Mcbean comes into versus that of Putt, Patto & others being compared to - he will have different S & C coach, Head coach that demands a contest and will be training with big Ivan every day. He will be under no illusions from day one to put on size, compete and show aggression at every contest to have any chance of making it as an AFL player. Other blokes had a coach who wanted tall flankers to run and play bruise free footy. he does have a better chance at least. Up to you now Liam & good luck.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora

McBean's size compares with Joe Daniher.

Joe Daniher is a few kgs heavier and 3cms shorter.

I think we've done pretty well with McBean.

Don't forget we still have arguably the best ruck in the league with Maric.

He is not a purist ruck like Maric so we could use him with Maric on occasion because of his run.

Why get Grundy when Vlastuin will bolster our defense and also can be used as a mid option?

I think we played smart.

Grimes,Morris,Chaplin,Batchelor,Ellis,Vlastuin.

Backline looking brutal.

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012

No room for Rance in your backline smasha? ;)

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

smasha said:
McBean's size compares with Joe Daniher.

Joe Daniher is a few kgs heavier and 3cms shorter.

I think we've done pretty well with McBean.

Don't forget we still have arguably the best ruck in the league with Maric.

He is not a purist ruck like Maric so we could use him with Maric on occasion because of his run.

Why get Grundy when Vlastuin will bolster our defense and also can be used as a mid option?

I think we played smart.

Grimes,Morris,Chaplin,Batchelor,Ellis,Vlastuin.

Backline looking brutal.

Would be extremely disappointed if we recruited Vlastuin as HBF. See him as an outright midfielder long term.