Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Re: Welcome Liam McBean at pick 33

Stylo said:
No room for Rance in your backline smasha? ;)

Odear. :help

That's a good sign that I forgot about one of our best.

More depth than Bass Straight. ;D

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora

WesternTiger said:
Would be extremely disappointed if we recruited Vlastuin as HBF. See him as an outright midfielder long term.

That's why we got him,long term. 10 year player or take a bet on a young ruckman?
Yeah I personally hope he plays midfield but he can do both.

Rucks are a bit of an experiment.
The club looked at McBean and saw he had more dimensions to his game for a tall.

WE do have Mighty MULLET MARIC.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Bloody hell, Justin Madden he ain't! Amazing mobility, has the tell tale sign of an athletic mobile bigman, doesn't look as big as he is. great sidestep, dunno if I've ever seen a sidestep like that on such a big player. He's not that much of a stringbean either, not at all for his age, Spider Burton he ain't.

The Big Bean!

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

On the bright side, rucks in this range rarely lose their value, so at least we won't lose anything (provided he gets some gametime).

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002

Cannons loaded with talent Sam Landsberger From: Leader March 19, 2012 1:49PM

FOUR months ago a quartet of Calder Cannons were plonked on to AFL lists inside the top 40 draft picks, strengthening the TAC Cup club's reputation as an elite player producer.

This year the Cannons are set to add another layer to that standing with a tantalising handful of talent at the top of its list, which has been finalised ahead of Sunday's Round 1 opener against Northern Knights.

"I reckon this squad has a bit more strength at the top than last year," region manager Ian Kyte said. "Last year we had quite an even squad once you got past the top six, but this year it's a bit stronger at the top end.

"This area the local clubs just continue to produce good players. The EDFL and RDFL are probably equally represented in the squads this year, which is great."

Kyte said 6-8 players were expected to force there way on to AFL lists come draft time after six won berths last year.

And the Cannons are fuelled with big names this year, household AFL icons Dean Bailey, Anthony Daniher, Justin Madden, Greg Williams and Mark Thompson all having sons in the squad. John Barnes could join that list, with son James on the Cannons radar but overcoming an injury.

THE TOP FIVE CANNONS TO WATCH IN 2012

Liam McBean (Aberfeldie) (199cm, 81kg)

Tailor-made for modern footy with his work at ground level and ability to roam the field outstanding for a key-position monster.

Kyte says: "He's hit 200cm, he's very agile, he's great in traffic and he'll play as a forward going into the ruck. It's stupid to say, but he might be a 200cm forward flanker with his agility."

Jono O'Rourke (Gisborne Rookies) (182cm, 71kg)

Could be the pick of the lot. An outstanding playmaker similar to St Kilda's Nick Dal Santo who is flying after injury battles last year.

Kyte says: "He's just a very skilful, class act. He looks to have a lot of time when he gets the ball and he uses it really well. I'd like to think we can afford to play him as an outside midfielder trying to teach him to play inside."

Lachie Plowman (Macedon) (190cm, 81kg)

Key defenders are hard to find. Ones which can negate opponents and punish on the rebound with pinpoint skills, like Plowman, are even harder. Still growing, but looks a special talent.

Kyte says: "He's going to hold a key position. I think he'll hold centre half-back the majority of the year and be a very good player. He has this real poise, when he gets the ball he has time and he delivers it really well. He plays his footy like he lives his life, always enjoying it with a smile on his face."

Rory Atkins (Maribyrnong Park) (183cm, 75kg)

Endured a frustrating 2011 with tonsillitis and several illnesses but fit and firing this year and in the leadership group.

Kyte says: "We've noticed some great changes in Rory so we're really looking forward to watching him play this year. I reckon he'll play as a mid-sized forward, and for his size he's an excellent mark and around goals a beautiful kick."

Joe Daniher (Aberfeldie) (199cm, 83kg)

The Essendon-bound star just keeps growing. Finally over his injury curse, Daniher is heavily monitored by the Bombers and is being groomed as a ruckman with strong hands and goal-kicking power.

Kyte says: "He's put on a lot of weight, he's very strong and done quite a bit of training with Essendon. If he wasn't going to Essendon (under the father-son rule) could command a top-five pick."

*Height and weight measurements from 2011

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002

Liam McBean- 2012 AFL Draft Prospect

Name: Liam McBean
Position: Forward/Ruck
Age (by draft day): 18
Height: 202cm
Weight: 84kg

Quick Notes:

Ruckman who can play forward or back
Mobile
Smart footballer
Good at ground level
Strong mark but better on the lead than contesting
Kicks goals
Has been developing strength but will need to get stronger still

Liam McBean in detail:

Liam McBean is similar to Joe Daniher in that he is quite mobile and versatile for a 200cm+ player but is likely to require a bit more development time.

Its tempting to think of McBean as a ruckman who can play elsewhere but his agility combined with his skills when the ball hits the ground make him more of a forward/utility who can pinch hit in the ruck.

It will be very interesting to see how the club that picks up McBean handles his development and what position he ends up playing at an AFL level.

I’d expect McBean to get picked up inside the first 40 picks of the 2012 AFL Draft.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora

Could he be our Buddy?

All the hype around Daniher but...
I better shutup.
Not overhype the kid.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

9757627-large.jpeg

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

tigertrue said:
Liam McBean- 2012 AFL Draft Prospect
Strong mark but better on the lead than contesting

This is the main area of concern, if he becomes an A grade ruck he'll need to learn how to take a contested mark, without exception this is one feature which is common to all the leading big men. Like I've mentioned before, he's got a tremendous amount of work to do in order to make the grade as a ruckman. All the talk of him being a 203cm flanker is just pie in the sky stuff, it's really all or nothing as far as I can see.

abers13

Tiger Cub
Nov 23, 2012

Hey Guys,
Dons supporter here sorry, but thought I could add to the McBean hype ;)
Seen a lot of Liam play over the years for abers and St Bernards, you guys could have something very special here. The comparison made earlier with Joe Daniher is an interesting one because they've played basically all their footy together and are best mates. Ability wise I honestly don't think there's as much difference between them as some think, Joe's developing slightly quicker, but they're both similar heights, quick for their size and good below their knee's. They've always been mentioned in the same breath at Bernards and Aberfeldie and worked in great partnership together so it will be interesting to see how both of their careers go
Obviously 'leesh' (McBean) will take some time but he's got an enormous amount of upside and I'm happy he's gone to the Tiges, his dad Dave will be even happier!
Anyway thats me done, hope he has a great career for your boys.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

abers13 said:
Hey Guys,
Dons supporter here sorry, but thought I could add to the McBean hype ;)
Seen a lot of Liam play over the years for abers and St Bernards, you guys could have something very special here. The comparison made earlier with Joe Daniher is an interesting one because they've played basically all their footy together and are best mates. Ability wise I honestly don't think there's as much difference between them as some think, Joe's developing slightly quicker, but they're both similar heights, quick for their size and good below their knee's. They've always been mentioned in the same breath at Bernards and Aberfeldie and worked in great partnership together so it will be interesting to see how both of their careers go
Obviously 'leesh' (McBean) will take some time but he's got an enormous amount of upside and I'm happy he's gone to the Tiges, his dad Dave will be even happier!
Anyway thats me done, hope he has a great career for your boys.

Welcome to PRE abers! :)

Cheers for the insight! Hopefully he has a good career at puntroad, he looks to have the tools.

Daniher looks fantastic by the way, a clear steal at 10.

abers13

Tiger Cub
Nov 23, 2012

Tigertool said:
Welcome to PRE abers! :)

Cheers for the insight! Hopefully he has a good career at puntroad, he looks to have the tools.

Daniher looks fantastic by the way, a clear steal at 10.
Thanks mate, I'll come by every now and then haha

I'll try and keep you guys posted when I hear anything about him, mates with his sister ;)

And trust me, we are, so excited about JD, absolute bargin!

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejJZ-LiMxU

P.S. great stuff abers.
I didn't know that myself.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Beano's body frame actually reminds me of a young Benny Gale.

I'll be looking forward to how this kid progresses.

abers13

Tiger Cub
Nov 23, 2012

WesternTiger said:
Just make sure it's not after Dreamtime if you guys get up!
I'll have better things to be doing if we get up!
The dreamtime game is just going to keep getting bigger and bigger the way our clubs are shaping up, hopefully returning to some former glories! Been brilliant the last few years and we've both been *smile*.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009

abers13 said:
I'll try and keep you guys posted when I hear anything about him, mates with his sister ;)

Hope she has a better head and not as bloody tall as her brother. ;D

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003

On his schools old boys website it says that he was the ACC premiership winning captain for the school. ACC is the inter school comp in Melbourne for Catholic secondary schools. It's a reasonable comp and Bernard's obviously dominated with McBean and Daniher. So knowing that info I reckon Leesh will end up being a good player barring injury. Just hopes he can put on some beef!

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne

Leysy Days said:
Amazing skillset for such a big man. Dual sided & lovely natural action.

However that wont decide his fait, like all big men it will be his appetite for & love of physical contact that will term his selection a success or failure.
Yep it's will all come down to whether or not he can thrive at the contest.

Pretty skills are for flankers.

At least Big Ivan will give him a few lessons on what is required.