lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He sometimes was inexplicably omitted from time to time and upon return would be sporting an extreme short back and sides.
I've heard it said that they let him out on a few occasions so that he could play, not sure whether that's true or not.
He had very light fingers, most probably why he was a good palmer of the ball.

Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Not sure what sort of person John Nichols was to not step forward and admit to diving, rather than see an opponent miss a GF like that.
A prick, scumbag, a *smile*, an *smile*. That's what sort of 'person' he was.
Not sure how many of those words went through to the swear filter but I absolutely despise him for what he did to Crowey, and that happened 2 years before I was born!! My hatred of that scum club probably evolved from that act

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I've heard it said that they let him out on a few occasions so that he could play, not sure whether that's true or not.
He had very light fingers, most probably why he was a good palmer of the ball.

Yes, legend has it that Menzies (or Bolte) had him let out to play on weekends because he was a Carlton supporter, but as stated above by TBR, it's an urban myth. Nicholls was done for embezzlement, I believe. Apparently remains a victim of the punt.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A prick, scumbag, a ****, an ********. That's what sort of 'person' he was.
Not sure how many of those words went through to the swear filter but I absolutely despise him for what he did to Crowey, and that happened 2 years before I was born!! My hatred of that scum club probably evolved from that act
Yes. What made it worse was that in those days the players code was very strong that you helped your fellow players get off.
All Nicholls had to do was tell the truth and he didn’t. I spoke to someone who played for another team in that era some years ago and he told me that that act made him very unpopular across the whole vfl.
It fed a Carlton / Richmond hatred that has endured. Laurie Fowler’s brutal bump on Nicholls in the 73 grand final was seen as the ultimate revenge

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Carlton are still the same weak & gutless football club.
Taking away paper bag payments and 3rd party deals.
Carlton are the new stkilda. Promsing hope in the off season till the real season starts for them to capitulate and fall to their home in the bottom 4.
Want to pay your mortgage off??
Back us over 50 and them to finsh bottom 4.
Easy money

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes. What made it worse was that in those days the players code was very strong that you helped you fellow players get off.
All Nicholls had to do was tell the truth and he didn’t. I spoke to someone who played for another team in that era for some years ago and he told me that that act made him very unpopular across the whole vfl.
It fed a Carlton / Richmond hatred that has endured. Laurie Fowler’s brutal bump on Nicholls in the 73 grand final was seen as the ultimate revenge

Yes, still bitter memories of all this. It was really one of the lowest acts in VFL history by 'Big Nick" and I think it answers the question about what sort of character he was, along with his criminality. Whereas Neville was an absolute gentleman who was all class. It was such a cruel, mean deceit that took away Nev's one chance to play in a premiership team, probably marred his life in the end.
Yes, we all loved Laurie Fowler's great bump ... but then we let him walk to Melbourne a couple of years later. That disappointed me too. Always thought Fowler belonged at Tigerland after that legendary act.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Polo used to regularly flog Buddy when they were both playing VFL
Go figure. Always find it strange how a player can turn it on on rare occasions, but no consistency. Must be attitudinal. Buddy must have really brought the best out of him - fear of failure - or complete humiliation?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Poetry in motion, thanks Yin.

Wonder of Barge borrowed the commentary from that in 2017.
Nicholls is down. Nicholls is down. Eddie Betts has been held. Eddie Betts has been held. Eerily similar calling.