Lowlife of the week award. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lowlife of the week award.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
MD Jazz said:
The guys been banned from football and lost his job, and may now face criminal charges, I suppose that means witches are real hey?

We won't know until they try to drown him. If he survives, he's a witch and we'll burn him at the stake. If he dies, he wasn't a witch.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
LTRTR

I have a feeling see has fled the country quick smart.

Did a Punay Punay? whatever his name is. Who fled to Indian after crashing his car and killing someone. Now faking he is sick.

Do we have an extradition policy with China?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
rosy3 said:
Don Burke take a bow :vomit
Agree entirely Rosy. Although I find it baffling that politically 'progressive' types piggy back on a lot of this and have some kind of revisionist perception that society is/has been a backward cesspit of rampant misogynistic abuse up until now. With sexual harrassment and violence against women being widely accepted by society and we are only having some kind of enlightenment now.

Why do I find it baffling? I was raised partly by my grandparents and was/am very close to them (and their peers of that same generation) and hence my morals were no doubt influenced by them heavily. Their worldview, people might think of as old fashioned and prudish. However, it seemed to be from a chivalrous kind of mindset, with pretty strict rules on social etiquette and what they considered decent or indecent. And in absolutely no way would they have thought this type of behaviour was appropriate, ever, in any context. In fact they would have been appalled by such gross indecency - the antithesis of what they would consider 'gentlemanly' behaviour.

Certainly I know I would have copped a few swift ones from my grandfather's builder's ruler for uttering such language, even more so if used in the context that it has been alleged (towards or around women). And my grandmother would have disowned me (as would my own mother)! Let alone inappropriately touching women without consent! And their morals/attitudes seemed to be very typical of that depression-WW2 generation as far as I observed, so was certainly never widely accepted by their generation born 80-90 years ago.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm surprised it's taken this long to come out but I'm glad it has just the same. As for Burke self diagnosing with Asperger's as an excuse/reason for his behaviour...that is such an insult to people who have genuine issues due the disorder.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
rosy3 said:
I'm surprised it's taken this long to come out but I'm glad it has just the same. As for Burke self diagnosing with Asperger's as an excuse/reason for his behaviour...that is such an insult to people who have genuine issues due the disorder.
Yes I immediately thought of the parallels to Kevin Spacey's, "Yeah I may have done it....hey everyone, look over there, by the way I'm gay."

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I might as well sue that female teacher who used to tap me on the bottom several times when I was in Year 10.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I guess if Burke said those things, there's no reason he shouldn't be exposed over it. However since Fairfax/ABC has collected over 500 allegations against 65 men, it'd be interesting to know who they've elected not to go after. Can they be trusted not to be selective?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I guess if Burke said those things, there's no reason he shouldn't be exposed over it. However since Fairfax/ABC has collected over 500 allegations against 65 men, it'd be interesting to know who they've elected not to go after. Can they be trusted not to be selective?
I wonder if any prominent AFL broadcasters are among the 65?

On a side note, I did see some joking memes on social media suggesting that Rex Hunt could find himself in a spot of bother over allegations he kissed hundreds of fish without consent.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
Although I find it baffling that politically 'progressive' types piggy back on a lot of this and have some kind of revisionist perception that society is/has been a backward cesspit of rampant misogynistic abuse up until now. With sexual harrassment and violence against women being widely accepted by society and we are only having some kind of enlightenment now.

I find it baffling that you find it baffling PT. Nothing revisionist about it. While many people have never looked positively at sleaze and harrasment, I'd put myself in your boat on that, many others did, and many more tolerated it even if they didn't like it. That is changing. That change is evidenced by the fact we have a tidal wave of women and men coming forward who previously felt they couldn't.

as an aside, but related, I read an amazing interview with the Hollywood actress Maureen O'Hara from the 40s and 50s. She said she was quitting acting because she couldn't tolerate constant requests and harrassment for 'kisses and embrace'. She said it was out of control amongst producers and directors, who had no respect for her marraige, and if she refused, threatened her with blackballing and spread rumours that she was a frigid ice-queen.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Even Caro says something about Burke. Gary Sweet from a female on-air colleague......it's all happening.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
TigerForce said:
Even Caro says something about Burke. Gary Sweet from a female on-air colleague......it's all happening.
My wife and I always joked that Gary Sweet seemed to have a permanently sleazy, smug smirk on his face. My wife actually spent time living in Germany in her youth and brought back a heap of recordings of Australian shows dubbed in German for German TV. The voice they chose for Gary Sweet on Police Rescue was as if they knew he looked sleazy.

tigersnake said:
I find it baffling that you find it baffling PT. Nothing revisionist about it. While many people have never looked positively at sleaze and harrasment, I'd put myself in your boat on that, many others did, and many more tolerated it even if they didn't like it. That is changing. That change is evidenced by the fact we have a tidal wave of women and men coming forward who previously felt they couldn't.

as an aside, but related, I read an amazing interview with the Hollywood actress Maureen O'Hara from the 40s and 50s. She said she was quitting acting because she couldn't tolerate constant requests and harrassment for 'kisses and embrace'. She said it was out of control amongst producers and directors, who had no respect for her marraige, and if she refused, threatened her with blackballing and spread rumours that she was a frigid ice-queen.
Like I say TS, growing up close to my grandparents and their peers, gave me quite an 'older' conservative upbringing. And the undertones were never anything but old style, gentlemanly respect (perhaps from a chivalrous perspective) towards women. Some of my friends may joke that in some ways this upbringing has made me a bit of an old man before my time. But hey, I credit the older style values my grandparents (and their peers) bestowed on me, for having nothing but derision for dirty piggish men and violent male spouses.

Christ, If I had ever shown any violent tendencies towards, or uttered the type of words Don Burke is accused of saying around, women. I would have received an absolute flogging of the highest order! And I'm sure any bloke displaying such disrespect and indecency to my mother probably would have been afforded the same treatment from my grandfather and my uncle (her brother). Hitting a woman was viewed in the context of picking on someone weaker than yourself - ie extremely dishonourable (no doubt viewed in the same light as bashing a kid younger than yourself, or bashing a blind or deaf kid).

If anything, the prudish nature of the upbringing made me quite shy and naive around girls/women when you get to that age that you start to find them attractive. Perhaps even terrified of saying the wrong thing and embarrassing them and myself. But hey, I'll take this over being a pig.

Although I note, modern feminists seem to detest chivalrous 'gentlemanly' motivations nearly as much as they detest misogynistic, violent pigs and sex pests. But as I say, I'll take my upbringing. It taught me very strict grounding on what are and aren't appropriate ways of acting around and towards women.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

They have said that Don Burke's was the most prominent name reported and probably the easiest to get women to go on the record about. I think there are others who should be very nervous, especially those no longer wielding power in the industry. As the capers over at channel 7 show, those who are still in power seem to be coated in teflon when it comes to this sort of thing

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Panthera Tigris said:
Christ, If I had ever shown any violent tendencies towards, or uttered the type of words Don Burke is accused of saying around, women. I would have received an absolute flogging of the highest order! And I'm sure any bloke displaying such disrespect and indecency to my mother probably would have been afforded the same treatment from my grandfather and my uncle (her brother). Hitting a woman was viewed in the context of picking on someone weaker than yourself - ie extremely dishonourable (no doubt viewed in the same light as bashing a kid younger than yourself, or bashing a blind or deaf kid).
But as I say, I'll take my upbringing. It taught me very strict grounding on what are and aren't appropriate ways of acting around and towards women.

But bashing people is ok in some instances?

And the threat of violence towards young people was ok to, intimidating violence and performing it was also condoned.

Yeh, the good old days where kids and women knew their place.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
MD Jazz said:
But bashing people is ok in some instances?

And the threat of violence towards young people was ok to, intimidating violence and performing it was also condoned.

Yeh, the good old days where kids and women knew their place.
Don't know where you read that in my comments MD.

Shock horror, yes I was smacked as a child. Not excessively, but the threat was there for the most abhorrent behaviour. Despite naive, misguided wisdom of some, it didn't turn me into a violent person. Quite the opposite actually. Pretty much I was taught to mind my own business, leave people be, keep my hands to myself. But if you didn't abide by the principals of leaving people be and keeping your hands to yourself, you knew full well any physical retribution coming your way was absolutely deserved. Particularly in the instance of picking on people less powerful (both physically and socially) than oneself (men abusing women being a prime example).

As a result, I have never started a fight, have never EVER so much as thought of raising a hand to, or inappropriately touching or talking to women etc. But yes, it's no surprise I absolutely did get caught retaliating to bullies at school on numerous occasions, despite knowing full well the person retaliating will get caught more often than not. Teachers weren't that stupid though. They know who the pricks are.

Admittedly it was a conservative, old fashioned up bringing. But actually made me and my siblings respectful, functioning members of society.