Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I think our injuries over the past few seasons are at least somewhat gameplan induced.

I know it sounds funny to say that, but the chaos gameplan of get it forward at all costs isn't conducive to load management. It's the most taxing form of footy.

Coupled with our poor foot skills it's usually always a slingshot / rubberband style game the players endure. That's why teams are always in it against us and we never blow sides away.

Reactions: 2 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Claudia Carter the partner of Olympic 1500m finalaist Stewart McSweyn is woking at the club as a dietician. The club should get Stewart in to take a few running sessions. It would certainly help us run out games well !!

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Claudia Carter the partner of Olympic 1500m finalaist Stewart McSweyn is woking at the club as a dietician. The club should get Stewart in to take a few running sessions. It would certainly help us run out games well !!
And Luke changed the set up and moved her into the Fitness team. Last year she was outside the fitness team. Meehan has made a few changes that have been revealed in some briefings that are highly positive.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
If it was a glut of hamstrings or quads then would happily blame the fitness guys.
My one concern is we don’t look fit. We have one good burst then struggle and we look slow as treacle.
Training reports were few and far between from the club and vast majority of Caesar’s reports didn’t fill me with confidence that we were having a good preseason.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
If it was a glut of hamstrings or quads then would happily blame the fitness guys.
My one concern is we don’t look fit. We have one good burst then struggle and we look slow as treacle.
Training reports were few and far between from the club and vast majority of Caesar’s reports didn’t fill me with confidence that we were having a good preseason.
GPS and sprint #'s for the pre-season are up on previous years.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
And Luke changed the set up and moved her into the Fitness team. Last year she was outside the fitness team. Meehan has made a few changes that have been revealed in some briefings that are highly positive.
That's interesting. What sort of changes have they made?

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
That's interesting. What sort of changes have they made?
They asked us not to discuss what we heard in the briefing but the stuff that is public knowledge is:
- Claudia is not just the dietician, she is also the nutritionist and has more input with the players. (Some funny stuff revealed when she told us this.)
- A new fitness guy was brought in from another club, is now more senior at the Tiges and has brought a few innovations
and the most obvious for the likes of @caesar and myself. Drop the shuttle runs and more training drills with the ball that involve repeat sprints/run throughs.
- Yeah it can look like circle work at times but if you just watch one or two players you'll notice they go on 200 to 300 meter runs at high intensity multiple times within one exercise. A lot of the training is geared to repeat efforts at medium to high intensity.

I will admit that to date we've only shown it one quarter at a time in games, but if we do if we reduce our mistakes by 10%+ then I think we see different results. Time will tell.

• Wow
Reactions: 15 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
They asked us not to discuss what we heard in the briefing but the stuff that is public knowledge is:
- Claudia is not just the dietician, she is also the nutritionist and has more input with the players. (Some funny stuff revealed when she told us this.)
- A new fitness guy was brought in from another club, is now more senior at the Tiges and has brought a few innovations
and the most obvious for the likes of @caesar and myself. Drop the shuttle runs and more training drills with the ball that involve repeat sprints/run throughs.
- Yeah it can look like circle work at times but if you just watch one or two players you'll notice they go on 200 to 300 meter runs at high intensity multiple times within one exercise. A lot of the training is geared to repeat efforts at medium to high intensity.

I will admit that to date we've only shown it one quarter at a time in games, but if we do if we reduce our mistakes by 10%+ then I think we see different results. Time will tell.
Thanks mate, that is very interesting. I appreciate you sharing what you could. It might take a while to get used to the different training methods and the benefits will show later in the year or next season.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Geez, now people are claiming a "woke" diet is to blame for our injuries.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
How we can't afford to get Burgess has me fked.
Richest club in the country and we are playing with sub standard fitness blokes.
At Port had them running like Gazelles.
At Melbourne turned them into the running machines and now Adelaide look super fit and running out games.

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Like it or not club messed this situation up going for the easy options and not spending the bucks.Last 3 seasons been poor fitness and conditioning.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Like it or not club messed this situation up going for the easy options and not spending the bucks.Last 3 seasons been poor fitness and conditioning.

I know little about fitness and conditioning but couldn't be it as simple that we're turning the footy over more and having to more defensive running as a team? I think the fitness levels from one team to the next wouldn't change significantly.

I suspect it would come down to the age and experience of the team as well, as we often hear the clique of a player "3-4 pre seasons under their belt" before their ready to run out matches.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
How we can't afford to get Burgess has me fked.
Richest club in the country and we are playing with sub standard fitness blokes.
At Port had them running like Gazelles.
At Melbourne turned them into the running machines and now Adelaide look super fit and running out games.
This. No denying the guy is a fitness genius and a huge reason we were able to accomplish what we did with the 3 flags. Coincidence we've never looked the same since he left and every team he has joined have improved ten fold in their running capacity.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I know little about fitness and conditioning but couldn't be it as simple that we're turning the footy over more and having to more defensive running as a team? I think the fitness levels from one team to the next wouldn't change significantly.

I suspect it would come down to the age and experience of the team as well, as we often hear the clique of a player "3-4 pre seasons under their belt" before their ready to run out matches.
May be some merit in what you say but if you go back and look at the years when we were dominating i think you will find we turned it over almost as much as we do now. Difference was we had the fitness and legs to cover our mistakes. I don't think aerobic fitness is a huge issue for 30+ blokes. Perhaps repeated efforts more so. In saying that atm even our blokes who are in their prime looked gassed a lot of the time.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004

Change sometimes takes time.