Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Yes, I have wondered how you could compete with the top teams doing most of your running in the ball drills. I haven't watched training but it seems a very different approach to what most AFL teams would do.
It’s why we need to build a decent lead early because we know the opposition will be running all over us later. The last three weeks are prime examples of us running out of legs. Our defence has done a magnificent job considering they’ve been under siege for a lot of the time

Reactions: 1 users

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
It’s why we need to build a decent lead early because we know the opposition will be running all over us later. The last three weeks are prime examples of us running out of legs. Our defence has done a magnificent job considering they’ve been under siege for a lot of the time
Have you considered we run out of legs because we go out hard early - chicken or the egg.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Racehorses run on machines. RFC has machines. This stuff would be mapped and measured. Running and weights.

Some players may do more but that could be a worry. Control is crucial.

There is no doubt in my mind that we load up at times. And taper at others. Heavy loading in weeks going into the finals then explosive when in them. The mechanics of this are interesting to me.

Last edited:

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
I would love to see the statistics for our 4th quarter performance. I think we have lost the last quarter in most matches this year. Clear indication that we cannot run out games

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I would love to see the statistics for our 4th quarter performance. I think we have lost the last quarter in most matches this year. Clear indication that we cannot run out games
we have won 5 4th quarters and lost 8, same as 1st and 2nd quarters. we are 8-5 in 3rd quarters.

I reckon the fitness thing is a myth. Freo won the last quarter, but we won the last 15minutes and the game. Same in the Giants game. We lost some last quarters when we had makeshift rucks- then strength in ruck contests was noticable.
the main thing that has cost us late though has been confidence and composure- with a bit of composure we beat the Bombers. it was noticeable this week Jack has a ball at his feet in the f50, his opponent was on the ground, but Jack gently let the ball go out of bounds rather than try to tap it forward.

Reactions: 6 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
In the old days, under Burge, I'd have expected our players to look a bit underdone at times all through the early to mid season, and at other times flat. When the Tiges would look lead legged during a season proper game we'd put that down to them being loaded and a bit lactic. We don't get the measurements of what the players are running/lifting but there are indicators of high workload off the park. Flatness. Running it out in game.

We'd call this flat lead-legged period of a game being Burged.

After the byes Burge would famously have us running through brick walls for crucial games. But as we approach the finals we would look steady rather than explosive and Hardwick would put the cue in the rack half way through the last quarter of every game. Working off the park and conserving energy/risk on it. Clinical stuff. Note how rare the ten goal win. Cue in the rack. Burge and Hardwick managing load and exposure.

That's typical of how peak Burge operated. How does Meehan's work compare?

We have been in the *smile* for most of the year. And our crocks are older than ever. Meehan has left them burly until now. They point blank look fat.

We have't been able to give our crocks games off. I think Dion missed one. What we've done instead is give them soft roles. Cotchin HFF. Even Dion HFF. Martin FF. Of course they're more value in the middle but they can't sustain a season with that work load and exposure. They're too old. So we manage them.

Caesar has told us about Shai. We managed something with him too for most of the season. We're managing a *smile* load of injury/geriatricity. Maybe Graham too.

Right now this Meehan looks to be handling our fitness/soundness/explosiveness much as Burge would have. Maybe going a couple of weeks earlier. We look okay.

We had to pull out all stops to win the two road games so I won't be surprised if we flatten out this week. Even with our stars much older we have to win clinically anyway.

This is not Phoney Season. The big city football is underway. It's Meehan time. A bit of luck would be handy. (The other kind of luck.)

Reactions: 9 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
In the old days, under Burge, I'd have expected our players to look a bit underdone at times all through the early to mid season, and at other times flat. When the Tiges would look lead legged during a season proper game we'd put that down to them being loaded and a bit lactic. We don't get the measurements of what the players are running/lifting but there are indicators of high workload off the park. Flatness. Running it out in game.

We'd call this flat lead-legged period of a game being Burged.

After the byes Burge would famously have us running through brick walls for crucial games. But as we approach the finals we would look steady rather than explosive and Hardwick would put the cue in the rack half way through the last quarter of every game. Working off the park and conserving energy/risk on it. Clinical stuff. Note how rare the ten goal win. Cue in the rack. Burge and Hardwick managing load and exposure.

That's typical of how peak Burge operated. How does Meehan's work compare?

We have been in the *smile* for most of the year. And our crocks are older than ever. Meehan has left them burly until now. They point blank look fat.

We have't been able to give our crocks games off. I think Dion missed one. What we've done instead is give them soft roles. Cotchin HFF. Even Dion HFF. Martin FF. Of course they're more value in the middle but they can't sustain a season with that work load and exposure. They're too old. So we manage them.

Caesar has told us about Shai. We managed something with him too for most of the season. We're managing a *smile* load of injury/geriatricity. Maybe Graham too.

Right now this Meehan looks to be handling our fitness/soundness/explosiveness much as Burge would have. Maybe going a couple of weeks earlier. We look okay.

We had to pull out all stops to win the two road games so I won't be surprised if we flatten out this week. Even with our stars much older we have to win clinically anyway.

This is not Phoney Season. The big city football is underway. It's Meehan time. A bit of luck would be handy. (The other kind of luck.)
Excellent post.
Its very much a mirror of what Burge did which is no surprise really.Why break something that isn't broken.But i guess its a bit harder than it was 2-3yrs ago.The boys aren't getting any hungrier errr younger.

• Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Excellent post.
Its very much a mirror of what Burge did which is no surprise really.Why break something that isn't broken.But i guess its a bit harder than it was 2-3yrs ago.The boys aren't getting any hungrier errr younger.
They looked pretty well fed all year, D_D.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We've opened flat and even lead-legged in three of four games since the byes. In the Brisbane game we started flat and then went home.

Flat. Slow. Lethargic. Early. I don't think it's all about the coaching. (Not to say form isn't an issue.) I think it's conditioning. Good.

Meehan has to freshen us up for this Melbourne game. We have to be running on top of the ground. Explosive early.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
After a horror start, worth noting we have stopped the flow of injuries.

Only four teams have a smaller injury list than us ATM. That includes Short and Bauer who could play this week so likely (touch wood) gets better.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia

Only four teams have a smaller injury list than us ATM. That includes Short and Bauer who could play this week so likely (touch wood) gets better.
How many times did you touch wood after saying that? I wouldnt have the eggs to say that.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

So the injuries were a Peter Burge hangover and we’ve found the Messiah?
Never doubted it.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Geez Leysy old mate @Redford will be all over this if you have put the jinx on.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

I still want sackings