Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
Absolutely - I'm talking about the earlier in the year decisions.

But at the end one person has to make a decision and live with the outcomes - that's just part of leadership and its seems something is going wrong to have both Gibcus and Lynch get massive extensions on their recovery times. Bad luck is one explanation. Bad management is another. When it happens twice I'd back the second one.
Sorry, I am still not getting how the fitness boss is the one person making the decision on a medical issue.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Sorry, I am still not getting how the fitness boss is the one person making the decision on a medical issue.
Someone has to be responsible for the decision - who is it if not the fitness boss? Lynch? Hardwick?

So after all input is taken in and if there isn't consensus, who makes the call? That's where we need to look.

It's pretty clear last week that Gale took a decision on Pickett in the interests of the football club, despite Pickett wanting to play - and I'm sure after getting various input.

You can't have group responsibility - it doesn't work unless you think they do a vote on these decsions to make a decision in which case its getting distributed.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Someone has to be responsible for the decision - who is it if not the fitness boss? Lynch? Hardwick?

So after all input is taken in and if there isn't consensus, who makes the call? That's where we need to look.

I think that's why we have the head of a football department. I.e. to make these types of decisions.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
This convo is going off the deep end - if Lynch has a broken foot, the head of football will not decide whether Lynch plays or not. The coach will not decide if Lynch plays or not. The head of fitness will not decide if Lynch plays or not.

It's between him and his surgeon, he chooses whether to make himself available, then general fitness and other "normal" football processes take place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tom had surgery to repair his plantar fasciitis just before xmas, and then off a limited pre-season played round one, it seemed a bit rushed to me.
Foot injuries can be very nasty, Matthew Egan's career was cut short by a foot injury. I hope the club makes sure that Tom is 100% before he plays again, as he's too valuable.
I may have missed it but can somebody confirm the plantar fasciitis problem was on the same foot as the break?
That it was a non contact injury is a pretty big concern. No wonder they’re treading gently so to speak.
Hope they get it right. :confused:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Richmond fans: This season's gone, play the kids.
Also Richmond fans: Where the hell is Lynch?!?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I may have missed it but can somebody confirm the plantar fasciitis problem was on the same foot as the break?
That it was a non contact injury is a pretty big concern. No wonder they’re treading gently so to speak.
Don't know ToO, I know that his broken foot is his right foot.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Tom's pre-season plantar fasciitis issue was in the same foot as his present injury TOO which is his right.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
No, another explanation could be that they thought he'd be OK and given how important he is to the team they rolled the dice to try win early games. The start of our season was pretty rough with Top 4 quality teams, so having him for them gave us the best shot to win those early ones. We loaded up to try win a premiership this year, no doubt.

Meehan isn't a Dr. I doubt he'd be making the call on whether a player's bone structure was OK to play on. @The Big Richo - given your past experience, who'd likely be involved in making those types of decisions at the club (of course assuming the player always would want to play if they feel OK).

(Apologies I haven't read the thread so I'll just try and give some general feedback re Lynch)

There's really two elements working together here, fixing a human body and getting a human body conditioned to play AFL footy again.

With Lynch's broken foot, the surgeon will be calling the shots, he will give him the all clear at various stages to progress. He will have popped a plate in and make the call as to when the plate is ready to come out. Before then not much can be done with the foot. In terms of his AFL return the Richmond team will be trying to manage his condition in the meantime, swimming, the grinder, cross training type stuff but it is challenging to do lots of things with a broken foot. You also don't want to create an imbalance in the body, ie build your core strength too much when your leg strength is going to be significantly less, that is a recipe for soft tissue issues.

In terms of the specifics of the injury to Lynch, I had initially assumed he suffered a impact in the Bulldogs game but I've since heard he just sustained a fracture while running along, in the third metatarsal, which is the long bone running through the middle of your foot.

Obviously it is not normal for a bone to break in your foot through the course of normal movement and the fact he had surgery on an issue in the same area of his foot not long before this is clearly related.

There's a couple of possibilities as to the relationship. Option A is that the plantar fasciitis issue had an impact on his gait and he developed stress in the bone which ultimately snapped, or option B, my hunch, is they went a bit hard on the plantar release and essentially made him a bit flat footed. That puts pressure on the metatarsals and he develops a little stress and ultimately a fracture, which is easily cloaked initially by the expectation of some discomfort in the plantar facsia in the same area.

There's not really any blame to proportion for any of this, it's just a case of one issue creating a flow on of secondary issues as a result. I know people don't like the L word but that's the issue here. Feet are tricky to manage because they take massive workloads and massive impacts and when something goes wrong with them it creates a flow on through the body.

Prognosis wise for Lynch, as a big boy when this happened you could pencil in 12 weeks as a starting point for his foot to heal. I think we are at 11 weeks now so he has probably had the plate out and will be healing that before starting to get back on his feet. That's the cue for the Richmond team to find a path back to AFL condition for him, and that is going to be tricky.

I said in the preseason Lynch was odds on to have a soft tissue issue. Given the amount of work he missed in preseason, and now with this interruption those alarm bells are now blaring. If he were to ping a hammy now his season is likely done so it will be a very careful program to manage him back, balancing needing him out there and finding the right condition.

Personally my approach would be to put him through a 3-4 week program when he returns, which would take it to about round 20. If the team is in a position to contend for finals at that point he comes back in and we roll the dice, if not he packs up and has a nice opportunity to run a full program to have him right for 2024.

For Pick 3 I'll take Lions, Dockers, Suns. Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: 27 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
There's a couple of possibilities as to the relationship. Option A is that the plantar fasciitis issue had an impact on his gait and he developed stress in the bone which ultimately snapped, or option B, my hunch, is they went a bit hard on the plantar release and essentially made him a bit flat footed. That puts pressure on the metatarsals and he develops a little stress and ultimately a fracture, which is easily cloaked initially by the expectation of some discomfort in the plantar facsia in the same area.

There's not really any blame to proportion for any of this, it's just a case of one issue creating a flow on of secondary issues as a result.
Thanks for the detailed analysis and yeah I'm one who doesn't like the luck word in this particular space.

Should not these secondary issues be able to be predicted as a possibility and something put in place to handle / detect if they are starting to emerge so the issue doesn't get worse? You are able to talk in some detail as to what probably happened and why it potentially got missed. I have pretty high expectations of a professional organization to handle and mitigate risks.

I worked in oil and gas so making one thing better and then having a secondary effect lead to an explosion/serious injury is not acceptable. Lynch being out for the season as the result of trying to fix something is the equivalent outcome to me in a sporting organization (maybe a career ending outcome would be the worst possible outcome)

I'm living proof of one injury leading to another injury - but getting told after the fact kind of sucks. But I don't have an organization managing my health and wellbeing.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Lynch had his moon boot taken off.
Not healing as well as they thought

9698663E-84FB-4CFC-AC19-3DD50F1E4B14.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
This convo is going off the deep end - if Lynch has a broken foot, the head of football will not decide whether Lynch plays or not. The coach will not decide if Lynch plays or not. The head of fitness will not decide if Lynch plays or not.

It's between him and his surgeon, he chooses whether to make himself available, then general fitness and other "normal" football processes take place.
Thank you.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

We need to blame someone, I say sack the surgeon, he's hopeless. People still don't get that injuries aren't black and white. So many things can go right and so many things can go wrong. Of course, the club is not going to try and rush him back or make those kind of decisions. It all comes down to the healing process and unfortunately for Lynch it hasn't progressed as was hoped. Where's he's at now, with 9 games to go, I don't see the point in him playing this year. Get right for next year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We need to blame someone, I say sack the surgeon, he's hopeless. People still don't get that injuries aren't black and white. So many things can go right and so many things can go wrong. Of course, the club is not going to try and rush him back or make those kind of decisions. It all comes down to the healing process and unfortunately for Lynch it hasn't progressed as was hoped. Where's he's at now, with 9 games to go, I don't see the point in him playing this year. Get right for next year.

Yeah. Human bodies are complex, nothing is guaranteed, and then place them under the stress and load of AFL and see what happens.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
A lot of people very accepting of two absolute disasters in Gibcus and Lynch and putting it down to bad luck.

Lightning can strike once, but twice warrants some severe investigation.