Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

BrisTiger24 said:
The more I think about it the more I think Towner could be the answer to help Lynch. Remember Towner's role in 17 where he was the foil to Jack. OPPO had to pay him respect as any mark Towner took inside 50 was a certain goal as he didn't miss.

With Caddy playing more midfield minutes and Balta all over the place, maybe it's Towner Time?
The structure ain’t working so yes perhaps , too often he is 1-3 . Why , townso could be a good block for lynch

It's still a pretty small sample but it's quite interesting to see his career averages at the Tiges vs the Suns.
Most numbers look about the same. Where it differs greatly is he's getting about half as many possessions.
Playing closer to goal at Richmond than he was when roaming as a CHF though at his best so that distorts it somewhat.
For all that I think he's a way off his best ATM.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--thomas-lynch

tigerlove said:
Plenty of excuses. Ever had a knee reco? His best is yet to come, there is no way he'd be fully fit. Many players struggle with limited pre season prep let alone come back from a knee reco. Need to be patient, Tigers need to play smarter.
Yes, I recall he really didn't join in with all the drills the main group was doing until just before the start of the season so he is significantly underdone. I'll be happy if he gets through this season without any further knee issues. I remember Richo moved a lot better in his second season after his knee reco. We do need to see more leading forwards like we had in '17 and '18. Where are they?

He’s marking just like he did at the Suns.

What you’re seeing is an elite level contested marking tall forward, with less possessions up the ground.

This is the best of the best for this statistic and positional type in 2019. If you were expecting a contested marking forward of the 1990’s, you’ll be disappointed by anyone of this positional type, not just Lynch.

123kid said:
He’s marking just like he did at the Suns.

Not quite on current outputs. Despite getting more opportunities to mark at Richmond, I reckon his hands were more vice-like & his vertical leap was a little better at GC at his best.
I also feel he was reading the ball better in the air. Ive seen Lynch totally dominate games at the Suns with his contested marking.
This may come with improved fitness & confidence but I don't agree he's at that point at the moment.

The_Celebrant said:
Agreed. Both Cox and Brown have modelled their games on those huge plastic, inflatable stick figures you see outside used car yards, with flailing arms to attract attention. When they sense the slightest body contact, Brown and Cox switch into an exaggerated, off-balance dance routine, a cheating form of a modern-day hokey pokey.
As much of a genuine champion as Adam Goodes was, he also had his own do-si-do, gangnam-style, nutbush-city-limits moves he could turn on at whim – in an instant he could abandon the beautifully balanced, strong-through-the-core, elite athlete act and turn on a well rehearsed impression of a giraffe on skates. It's funny how these guys, when they have possession and a goal beckons, can stand up in a contest and get ball to foot, and yet, without the ball, their entire musculo-skeletal system turns to jelly.

I was at SCG once and a richmond defender got the ball and ran past Adam Goodes. He didn’t attempt to chase or tackle.
He stood there hands on hips.
Sure enough we turned it over and he was there to catch it and goal.

Tigers of Old said:
Not quite on current outputs. Despite getting more opportunities to mark at Richmond, I reckon his hands were more vice-like & his vertical leap was a little better at GC at his best.
I also feel he was reading the ball better in the air. Ive seen Lynch totally dominate games at the Suns with his contested marking.
This may come with improved fitness & confidence but I don't agree he's at that point at the moment.
He's not. He's half fit. And being double and triple teamed.

Struggling to jump at the ball. No power in his legs. Watch him run and you can see he's impeded

Not full match fitness and being smothered by the opposition especially when he's the only tall. But boy does he have the goods and a mean streak I didn't know he had.

Hate to think where we'd be this year if we didn't recruit him.

Harry said:
Struggling to jump at the ball. No power in his legs. Watch him run and you can see he's impeded

Exactly, Harry. He is struggling physically and so doing really well in the circumstances as our only tall forward and battling 2/3 tall opponents.

Looking worse as the season goes on! Once a good kick for goal is now terrible, constantly gets pushed under the ball, can't even take a simple mark!

He doesn’t have the temperament to play the role being asked. It’s between the ears his issue.

No NO NO.He needs to be shifted away half forward.Or just not be the target.Not rocket science.