Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Cables do make some difference (not so sure about HDMI though) and my speaker cables are like snakes, very large.
Mmm it was a tinge of OCD creeping in, wanted to keep the quality of cabling in sync with the audio cables.

Was once a cable skeptic but having observed significant improvement first-hand, I now believe it can be a worthwhile upgrade, depending on how the cables react with your individual components. Apparently more silver emphasises the treble end etc. But also well aware that your ears can play tricks!

Was at a place yesterday picking up some records I got professionally cleaned... The guy had cables running everywhere as thick as your arm, made by a Taiwanese company (Telos) at $3K a pop, for which he is the Australian distributor... He was breaking in two sets of speakers, a $100K Tidal pair and a cheap $40K pair of Vimbergs which were hooked up. They were only really bookshelf speakers (although large ones) - he put on a demo track designed to stretch the speakers and I have never heard anything like it, the depth of sound (including bass) coming from comparatively small speakers was unbelievable. I thanked him for cleaning the records but said he probably wouldn't see me again unless I won Tatts.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Now do you feel better;):))
Better than 3 for $700 but since I've never heard of Kordz I assume they're inferior to something like Monster, which do the job but are hideously overpriced.

There's a lot of markup in them so the salesman's not doing his job if he doesn't try to hit you up for some cables after you've bought what you came for.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Quality of analogue cable I can appreciate and understand. But when you're playing with a digital signal, it's either a 0 or 1 that's being transmitted, not much else. No such thing as a bold 0 or a warm 1.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
No one going to talk about Dew wanting to send Rowell back on the ground against medical advice after he injured his shoulder? This isn’t a 32yo veteran with multiple premierships being asked to play on in a grand final. It’s an 18yo kid playing his 4th game. Massive red flag against Dew in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Mmm it was a tinge of OCD creeping in, wanted to keep the quality of cabling in sync with the audio cables.

Was once a cable skeptic but having observed significant improvement first-hand, I now believe it can be a worthwhile upgrade, depending on how the cables react with your individual components. Apparently more silver emphasises the treble end etc. But also well aware that your ears can play tricks!

Was at a place yesterday picking up some records I got professionally cleaned... The guy had cables running everywhere as thick as your arm, made by a Taiwanese company (Telos) at $3K a pop, for which he is the Australian distributor... He was breaking in two sets of speakers, a $100K Tidal pair and a cheap $40K pair of Vimbergs which were hooked up. They were only really bookshelf speakers (although large ones) - he put on a demo track designed to stretch the speakers and I have never heard anything like it, the depth of sound (including bass) coming from comparatively small speakers was unbelievable. I thanked him for cleaning the records but said he probably wouldn't see me again unless I won Tatts.

Whoa, expensive cables. I've heard of Kordz but never heard them. I tend to use gold plated interconnects as gold is such a good conductor. I don't think you have to go to the ridiculous priced cables but there is a clear difference when you get into the good cables.

You need to buy a record cleaning machine, or try this: https://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html I just bought a cheapo turntable and modified a vaccum cleaner crevice tool and cleaned records like that for years until I bought a machine.

Bookshelf speakers can do amazing bass but they tend to be the expensive ones. I remember once helping a guy move some bookshelf speakers, can't remember the brand but very well regarded and expensive, and those things weighed a tonne. Decent bass though. I have floor standers which have useable bass down to 8Hz and I can't move them without a trolley.

Good equipment can be costly but hifi tends to last a long time so can be worth it.

Mind you, a doco series on TV is not exactly demanding on sound.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I do have a Samsung phone, any instructions you can give me would be much appreciated.

- firstly, make sure you have the Amazon App downloaded onto your phone and sign into your account.
- stand next to your TV
- place your finger at the top of your phone and swipe down twice. It should bring up a list of things you can access (Wifi, Sound, Bluetooth, auto rotate, etc).
- swipe to the left and it will bring up a new page/list (Scan QR Code, Mobile Hotspot, etc). Look for a button called "Smart View."
- Select this button and turn on.
- From there it'll automatically bring up a list of devices it can connect to. Your TV should appear on this list.
- Select your TV and connect.
- Once selected, your phone should be mirrored onto your TV. Select the Amazon App and start watching.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
No one going to talk about Dew wanting to send Rowell back on the ground against medical advice after he injured his shoulder? This isn’t a 32yo veteran with multiple premierships being asked to play on in a grand final. It’s an 18yo kid playing his 4th game. Massive red flag against Dew in my opinion.
Spoiler alert for Episode 7, then, TF.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
- firstly, make sure you have the Amazon App downloaded onto your phone and sign into your account.
- stand next to your TV
- place your finger at the top of your phone and swipe down twice. It should bring up a list of things you can access (Wifi, Sound, Bluetooth, auto rotate, etc).
- swipe to the left and it will bring up a new page/list (Scan QR Code, Mobile Hotspot, etc). Look for a button called "Smart View."
- From there it'll automatically bring up a list of devices it can connect to. Your TV should appear on this list.
- Once selected, your phone should be mirrored onto your TV. Select the Amazon App and start watching.

I've probably missed something in the exchange but if he's got a Smart TV can't he just just download the android Amazon app on the TV and just select and stream that way ? Why the need to mirror or cast from his mobile ? (Or doesn't he have wi-fi ?)

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I've probably missed something in the exchange but if he's got a Smart TV can't he just just download the android Amazon app on the TV and just select and stream that way ? Why the need to mirror or cast from his mobile ? (Or doesn't he have wi-fi ?)
Stop complicating things :p

• Haha

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
- stand next to your TV
Thanks Ian i were able to link my devices an TV showing connected to my Galaxy A20 but does not mirror my phone.

It gives a couple of trouble shoots with the last one being:

"or your TV may not support screen mirroring"

This may be my case as my TV 10 years old, or just that technology is alien to me even with the best instructions:(

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Yeah Amazon comes standard on many smart TV's, but i have no idea if they come on all of them. I use Apple TV at home (which probably sounds strange coming from a long-term android user, but I love it).

Thanks Ian i were able to link my devices an TV showing connected to my Galaxy A20 but does not mirror my phone.

It gives a couple of trouble shoots with the last one being:

"or your TV may not support screen mirroring"

This may be my case as my TV 10 years old, or just that technology is alien to me even with the best instructions:(

Yeah its likely that your TV is too old. Which is surprising because it works on the the Samsung I bought in late 2009. It must depend on the model.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah Amazon comes standard on many smart TV's, but i have no idea if they come on all of them. I use Apple TV at home (which probably sounds strange coming from a long-term android user, but I love it).

Yeah its likely that your TV is too old. Which is surprising because it works on the the Samsung I bought in late 2009. It must depend on the model.
Yep I think a lucked out on my model

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
Hi. In ep 3 we saw benny back in melbourne doing some rucking practice with an unfamiliar face. Who was that?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Whoa, expensive cables. I've heard of Kordz but never heard them. I tend to use gold plated interconnects as gold is such a good conductor. I don't think you have to go to the ridiculous priced cables but there is a clear difference when you get into the good cables.

You need to buy a record cleaning machine, or try this: https://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html I just bought a cheapo turntable and modified a vaccum cleaner crevice tool and cleaned records like that for years until I bought a machine.
It’s like anything hi-fi or indeed tech, there is a sweet spot after which things operate by the law of declining returns. I’m done spending now and set to enjoy what I have for 20 years (but I’ve said that before).

Looked at cleaners and even considered buying one of the $4K ultrasonic jobs, then on-selling when I’m finished. My interest in vinyl is only really to transfer some rare tracks to digital (have a Tascam analog-to-digital deck on order). Turntable was the best I could reasonably afford (Rega Planar 6) and I might not even keep it. Depends if I get the vinyl bug. I’m essentially a digital man, everything else is run from Roon Server to three rooms.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah me too. I have an older non-SMART Sony HD tv which has heaps of HDMI inputs and does a cracking job so I just added an Apple Tv box to it and it works super. I have dozens and dozens of apps on the Apple TV-Sony, including lots of live streaming shows from overseas e.g. NYC ABC Channel 4 News live, NYC CBS News live, NFL, NBA, MLB, CBS Sports, the PGA Tour's GolfTV, Optus for EPL etc etc. ....hepas....so I'm not using any mirroring or casting. Everything is super clear HD 1080. Almost as good as 4K.

Buying the Apple Tv box gave me Apple TV+ for free, and buying a small amount of stuff on Amazon they gave me Amazon Prime for free as well.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Agree on Peggy jumping up and down, loved seeing that.

Also, I don’t mind the swearing at all. Yes, it’s not overly creative, but folks gotta imagine these locker rooms before / after a game, with testosterone running rampant. Aggressive talk, aggressive play. It’s part of clubland and I personally find it entertaining.

Reactions: 8 users