McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E.

I just hope whoever takes over has the gumption & foresight starts to unwind some of the crap decision making we've seen in recent years under Gillion.
Putting AFLW to one side (because they're vastly different sports), the men's comp in particular has being sanitised within an inch of it's life which has alienated much of it's core audience.
Yes I'm getting older & my views are likely becoming redundant but so is Australian Rules Football if it continues on it's current path.
Get the game back to it's basics. It's virtually unrecognisable from the sport that was pretty much untouched for 100 years before AFL executives tried to change it dramatically.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
The media will certainly remember Gil more fondly than the general footballing supporter.

Hope he has a better post AFL career than Demetriou.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to see Brian Cook get it. He's vastly experienced at clubland, makes every place he goes better, and it'd mean he'd stop helping Carlton.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah same mate. But at 66 he's unlikely to want to take a job of that magnitude/pressure on you'd think.

If they had a market would have a few sheckles on Mark Evans.

Good CV for it:

- GM Footy Ops at Hawthorn
- Head of AFL Footy Operations
- CEO Gold Coast

There will be some pressure to appoint from outside the AFL hierarchy. Unsure if they will listen though.

Not if there's a viable alternative behind it.
I'm extremely uncomfortable with the over saturation of gambling ads that pervade the sport.
Unfortunately its naive to think that will ever happen. All sports not just AFL are saturated by gambling companies.

I wouldnt be pitching that idea if I was going for the job.

Not if there's a viable alternative behind it.
I'm extremely uncomfortable with the over saturation of gambling ads that pervade the sport.
It's easy money, that's all the league cares about. What viable easy money alternative is there?

Yeah same mate. But at 66 he's unlikely to want to take a job of that magnitude/pressure on you'd think.

If they had a market would have a few sheckles on Mark Evans.

Good CV for it:

- GM Footy Ops at Hawthorn
- Head of AFL Footy Operations
- CEO Gold Coast

There will be some pressure to appoint from outside the AFL hierarchy. Unsure if they will listen though.
His GC tenure hasn't exactly been golden.

It's easy money, that's all the league cares about. What viable easy money alternative is there?
unfortunately none ... we are the biggest gamblers per capita in the world, so hey ho ...

No surprise I guess.

He certainly wasn’t pushed, the commission love him. He’s a good and seriously tough operator commercially (and everyone in afl land knows it) but they still operate a boys club does the Afl. Did he leave things in a better shape than what he inherited from the bully Demetriou. Maybe yes in some ways I think. But not others. The game itself imo is a mess. Umpiring, match review, the media, adoption by young boys of the game compared to soccer, don’t reckon it’s all that great.
But his broadcasting deal was a hole in one.

Another reason why our Benny is no chance. They just don’t rate him in that area. The clubs want Benny bc he might actually fix some of the cultural issues and footy issues but in my opinion, Benny isn’t favoured by those that decide.

The fact they tried to get Xavier Campbell tells you everything!

Yeah I don't think he's been pushed. He'll go off into the sunset and collect board appointments like Demetriou for minimal work. And because he seems to have more of a brain than Demetriou, I doubt it will blow up in his face quite as spectacularly.
He hasn’t been pushed for sure. They - the commission- are spewing Gil is going.
Gil has one more big job he’s not demetriou.

Gil will run Kerry stokes businesses or the olympics internationally - that calibre of role