Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Col.W.Kurtz said:
How do people feel about Brent Moloney as a 4-6th midfielder?
Would rather Sylvia but he will cost draft picks.

But if we are talking free agents - get Goddard and get him rolling through the midfield. Then further add to our midfield depth via our early picks in the draft.

In one draft/trade period you go from being 6 - 7 deep in the midfield to around 10 deep.

tigs2010 said:
Ellis and Conca should play as centre square mids for longer periods this week. Foley's injury and Dusty's suspension could be a blessing whereby we find 2 really good players. If they can really establish themselves then we can afford to try Helbig out as a flanker later in the year.

Conca was fairly good last Saturday..... I would definitely give him more time around stoppages this weekend....

Ellis looks like a good get, however, I think still needs to be nurtured from a back flank/wing like Conca was last year.

Leysy Days said:
Think the cupboard is bare line is more towards the title of the thread which is what we are discussing, well at least leysy did.

Everyone knows we have some elite young talent at the top end.

And that's the point. We drop off very quickly and inline wit Disco's ranking system, (Newman as a mid?) we need to improve our DEPTH dramatically.

Some Oliver Wines or Jordan O'Rourkes would help. It's a must we go three mids in this years draft. We can almost put the midfield to bed if we get two more A graders.

It wasn't meant as a ranking system. I was just trying to line them up somewhat accurately, as subjective as that is. Newman's spent time in the midfield this year with the emergence of Dea and Morris. Not heaps but similar to Johnson at Collingwood. They're the guys that can go in occasionally but usually don't have to. They're part of the midfield depth still though.

If the cupboard is bare as you guys are suggesting, there's no way known you could fix it in one draft yet that seems to be something you believe to be achievable.

Disco08 said:
If the cupboard is bare as you guys are suggesting, there's no way known you could fix it in one draft yet that seems to be something you believe to be achievable.

Disco, I don't doubt our quality at the top end. We have it. Our top three (four when Foley is fit) are walk up starts in any side. Tuck is getting on but still serves a purpose. But after that we need three or four more A graders. It's pretty unlikley that we will get that out of one draft. If we get three picks in the top 30, odds suggest one will be an A grader, one will be a serviceable and one won't make it. But we have to get that many through the door to fix it. It will more then likely take another two or three drafts. But we have to start it this year.

And if we can a state leauge player or two from the rookie list it would also be a huge help. So take 5 or 6 mids all up this year to try and find three A graders.

I would take a flyer on Shane Nelson via the rookie draft too.

So you don't actually reckon one more draft and we can "put the midfield to bed"?

I'd say on his form this year Grigg is a walk up start at most if not all clubs. Tuck plays his extractor role as well as most too. Ellis and Conca may not be A graders yet but it doesn't take too much imagination to see one or both having an impact in the not too distant future.

How many A graders do you think WC and Collingwood have? 6 if they're lucky?

Disco08 said:
So you don't actually reckon one more draft and we can "put the midfield to bed"?

I'd say on his form this year Grigg is a walk up start at most if not all clubs. Tuck plays his extractor role as well as most too. Ellis and Conca may not be A graders yet but it doesn't take too much imagination to see one or both having an impact in the not too distant future.

How many A graders do you think WC and Collingwood have? 6 if they're lucky?

If we get three A graders, we can put the midfield to bed. But it's hard work getting every pick right. We might be able to get Sidebottom & Beams crop but you don't know. Grigg is a B grader but more then likely a walk up, he is pushing into a A grader.

Collingwood A graders- Pendles, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom all hands down A grade.
West Coast A graders- Kerr, Priddis, Rosa, Selwood, Shuey, Gaff and two rucks who play like Mids. Bit of a odd unit.

Yeah so 6. We've got 5 I reckon (if Rosa's one so is Grigg) and Tuck isn't too far off purely on his contested contribution.

Disco08 said:
Yeah so 6. We've got 5 I reckon (if Rosa's one so is Grigg) and Tuck isn't too far off purely on his contested contribution.

I'll give you 4.5 ;D but our depth just isn't there. I know you think it is but I just don't see it.

Three mids please Francis Jackson.

SCOOP said:
If we get three A graders, we can put the midfield to bed. But it's hard work getting every pick right. We might be able to get Sidebottom & Beams crop but you don't know. Grigg is a B grader but more then likely a walk up, he is pushing into a A grader.

Collingwood A graders- Pendles, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom all hands down A grade.
West Coast A graders- Kerr, Priddis, Rosa, Selwood, Shuey, Gaff and two rucks who play like Mids. Bit of a odd unit.
Rosa is nowhere near an a grader and Gaff not there yet.

SCOOP said:
I'll give you 4.5 ;D but our depth just isn't there. I know you think it is but I just don't see it.

And one via free agency/trade.

purepowertiges said:
Rosa is nowhere near an a grader and Gaff not there yet.

Rosa is very much a A grader. Doing what Andrew Embley did for years, just flying under the radar.

And Gaff is 20th in the AFL for total disposals in 2012. After 31 games. No doubt an A grader.

We just need to keep taking quality kids.
Conca and Ellis have made an impact quite quickly.
They seem much more prepared for senior football than a few years back these kids.
Just keep adding to the pile.

SCOOP said:
Rosa is very much a A grader. Doing what Andrew Embley did for years, just flying under the radar.

And Gaff is 20th in the AFL for total disposals in 2012. After 31 games. No doubt an A grader.
Disagree especially regarding Rosa. I dont need stats when I can use my eyes. I believe living in Perth, I have seen plenty of Rosa to make my decision.

SCOOP said:

No, I don't think it's there yet. The reason I brought this thread up was the way Conca and Ellis played on Saturday. Like I said, if either or both of those are destined to become good midfielders our depth is suddenly equal to most teams'.

SCOOP said:

Carlton - Judd, Murphy, Carazzo, Simpson are the equal of the Pies best 4 IMO. After that they have Gibbs & Robinson who you could argue are close to A grade although probably not up to Beams/Sidebottom. Then they have Armfield (much improved), Lucas, Collins, Ellard, Joseph. They also have a ruckman who plays like a mid in Kreuzer.
Haven't included Scotland in there but he is an A grade player, albeit not really a mid.

Big Cat Lover said:
Carlton - Judd, Murphy, Carazzo, Simpson are the equal of the Pies best 4 IMO.

Collingwood for mine, and the Carlton lesser lights who run through midfield are clearly worse than their Collingwood counterparts which is why Carlton has struggled for much of the year, no depth.

Disco08 said:
No, I don't think it's there yet. The reason I brought this thread up was the way Conca and Ellis played on Saturday. Like I said, if either or both of those are destined to become good midfielders our depth is suddenly equal to most teams'.

Yep, i agree!

Big Cat Lover said:
Embley has been a midfielder/winger for 90% of his career, Nahas a FP for 90%. FWIW it seems to me Nahas spent more time in the midfield last year than this year and did some good work there providing plenty of run. Not quite sure why.

On reflection, you are right, cupboard is bare is bit of an exaggeration. We have potentially an elite midfield, our first tier of Cotchin/Martin/Deledio/Foley is a fantastic quartet.

The questions for me as to how good our midfield can become would include -

Can Martin build an elite tank?
Can Foley get on the park for 20 games a year?
Can Conca/Ellis become a Sidebottom/Beams type combination for us?
Can Grigg become a little better with his ball use?
Can Tuck perform at this level for another year?
Can Helbig & Arnott become AFL midfielders?
Can we get it right (again) this draft and snag another 1 or 2 quality mids in this draft?

Can mount a case to say yes to all of those, if that were to happen over the next 2 seasons we would probably be the best midfield in the competition. At that point though we would probably need to be looking at replacing Foley & Tuck.

You could also argue if Vickery had been at least as effective as he was last season we may have won another 3-4 games this year and be vying for a Top 4 spot.

On another point, is it the failure of our forward line to capitalise on our I50's differential or is it a failure of our delivery/style of play?

You can mount cases for & against all those questions Big Cat.

On your last question re:Accuracy. There's a lot more to it than just plain bad kicking at goal by missing easy shots. Lids & Bling had a very good post on another thread outlining some reasons.

Disco08 said:

Leysy doesnt want Richmond to be equal. Its critical for success we lead the way in the area ILO.

If we get 4 very good to top quality mids out of Conca, Ellis plus this draft we will be getting somewhere towards being ideally placed.. None can be pencilled in to happen as yet though..

Also need to factor in Tuck & possibly Foley either wont be around or performance will have dropped away by the time the above batch are hopefully having a major influence.

Really need to smash this draft with the picks we have.