Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think today's game did show us a few things.

The first is that Mark Dumber Thompson just has no plan B. Pantsed by Clarkson. Then three years later by Malthouse with a similar swarming defensive plan. Can he not learn? The answer to the earlier question about how bad Geelong were last week is now clear. They were bloody awful.

Lyon coached a great game today. He put heat on the Pies so they had to go to their *smile* useless tall forwards (OMG Dawes and Cloke - gag) and that pair let them down badly.

And Leonard Hayes, a dominant inside midfielder, laid down the law to the likes of Pencildick and Wellingham.

A cracken game. And illuminating.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yep. They turned the tackle onto Collingwood and were happy to have stoppage after stoppage, whether they were the tackler or the tacklee. No Geelong-style 'keep the ball alive' handballs that only serve to give Collingwood another chance to tackle. Hayes smashed them inside and Goddard smashed them everywhere. Two of the great grand final performances.

Another thing we learned: Grant Thomas was right - Kosi is a ruckman. Which was/is good and bad for the Saints - he was very good in the second half but they really need him to perform up forward. A reliable second key forward and they've got Collingwood's measure. Like Scoop said in the GF thread, I began thinking about halfway through the third quarter how useful Lovett would have been (especially compared to Peake), but surely the Saints are wondering somewhere in the back of their minds why they didn't make a play for Hall or Bradshaw. Or dare I say it, Fev. One of those three coming out of the goal square and they'd be premiers right now.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
How good is Lenny Hayes? Saved them the game. Tight hard contested footy is what finals footy is all about. I get worried when we talk about recruiting outside players. Where were dal santo, montagna, leon davis yeasterday? We must stockpile players that can win their own ball and use it. Hayes is the prototype we should be looking at. Martin and Cotchin are a good start but if we want that competitive edge if we ever make the pointy end of finals these are the payers we want to have.

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Harry said:
How good is Lenny Hayes? Saved them the game. Tight hard contested footy is what finals footy is all about. I get worried when we talk about recruiting outside players. Where were dal santo, montagna, leon davis yeasterday? We must stockpile players that can win their own ball and use it. Hayes is the prototype we should be looking at. Martin and Cotchin are a good start but if we want that competitive edge if we ever make the pointy end of finals these are the payers we want to have.

ball winners are worth their weight in gold. *smile* kicking efficiency when its a game of stoppages and metres gained like yesterday was

and yes lenny hayes is a midfield GOD

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
kicking efficiency is very important - Lenny is a great kick of the ball. Don't say this because you'll get the Tuck lovers out in force.

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Harry said:
kicking efficiency is very important - Lenny is a great kick of the ball. Don't say this because you'll get the Tuck lovers out in force.

hayes is a good kick and a long kick but i wouldn't call him a great kick. he still has tucks measure by plentski

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
How good is Lenny Hayes? Saved them the game. Tight hard contested footy is what finals footy is all about. I get worried when we talk about recruiting outside players.

Dale Thomas had a very good game and he is what I'd consider an outside player.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Possibly the best result of the week was Conca and Ellis playing true midfield roles and showing plenty. If these two can develop into quality players our depth starts to look much better. Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Tuck, Foley, Grigg, Conca and Ellis is as good as most teams can boast and with the addition of more quality from this year's draft (and if we're lucky someone like Boak as well) we're looking good for years to come.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Epic thread.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

(For old times' sake. ;D )

Agree Disco, good to see the lads do well in the guts and a bit more class and speed will do wonders.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Don't know if I was imagining it but it also seemed they knew when to stand back a bit and tackle their way to a clearance and when to go in hard for the ball. Encouraging stuff when you've got two of your top 5 out. :)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Disco08 said:
Don't know if I was imagining it but it also seemed they knew when to stand back a bit and tackle their way to a clearance and when to go in hard for the ball.

I think this is one of Ellis's greatest strength. He doesn't just attack the conest when he can have no real impact. He puts himself in the postion to be the player thats gets the second handball. Comes out of the pack, quick handball to someone, THEN Ellis gets it.

Once Conca goes to ground, there is little chance of the ball coming out. He just tries to kill the contest and gets caught for a lot of holding the balls. But he is a mid no doubt.

Still think we need another three or four to roll through. Need a replacement for Tuck and a replacement for Foley plus another two outside pacey types.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The midfield depth will be sorely tested this week if White gets rubbed out. Foley is no cetainty and Arnot was apparently injured yesterday.

By my reckoning, the only mids/flankers left on the list are Webberley and Verrier.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
TOT70 said:
The midfield depth will be sorely tested this week if White gets rubbed out. Foley is no cetainty and Arnot was apparently injured yesterday.

By my reckoning, the only mids/flankers left on the list are Webberley and Verrier.

Hence why at least 2 of our first 3 picks should be mids this year.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
TOT70 said:

I wouldnt mind seeing Verrier get a run.

He has been in the best for Coburg over the last few weeks.

Problem is we need to elevate him off the rookie list. But for who?

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Smoking Aces said:

Vickery??

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Smoking Aces said:

Can't all clubs elevate a rookie after mid year?

Tigion

Us Against The World
Nov 25, 2006
East Gippsland
hope arnott didnt do he's ankle again last time he did he was pushing for selection if its he's ankle maybe he needs to trim those tree trunks of he's :hihi