Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

Tigers of Old said:
Just saw "Touching the Void" on DVD. Awesome Doco. Based on a true story. Inspiring tale of two mountain climbers journey of survival. Better than it sounds. Well worth the watch I thought. Best DVD I've seen in a while. :thumbsup

Yes,fantastic docu/drama.I've done a fair bit of snow trekking myself in search of the perfect snowboarding line.I must say though I would've given up well before that dude.Some people have an amazing will to live.

We have Aviator coming to a theatre near me very soon.  Also Motorcycle Diaries.

I think you will really enjoy Motorcycle Diaries Roar, well at least I hope you do. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and of course Gael Garcia Bernal isn't bad either :p

I saw CLOSER yesterday, a very interesting film. One of the reviews I read stated that it was 'a tough watch, and an even tougher listen (stay away if explicit language offends)'. I didn't find it tough to watch or listen to. Clive Owen was a case of great casting and when Julia Roberts picks the right vehicle she can also be very good (I thought she was in this).

I had a double dose of Jude Law yesterday as I also saw ALFIE, very average film, at the end I was the one left asking 'What's it all about'?

I am off to see MILLION DOLLAR BABY and SIDEWAYS today. This is my movie weekend ;D

Is this a remake of the original Alfie?  Ah, Tig, Michael Caine will always be Alfie!

Saw the preview of Million Dollar Baby the other night.  Old Clint just keeps keeping on, don't he?   :)

Yep, saw Million Dollar Baby last night as well. Yeh good film, very dramatic at the time but when I've woken up this morning and thought about it I've realised how unrealistic the 2nd half story was. I know that it was based on a novel. Don't know if it was a true story or not. But the performances of Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood were very good.

Roar34 said:
Is this a remake of the original Alfie?  Ah, Tig, Michael Caine will always be Alfie!

Yes Roar, it was a remake of the original, and I have never seen it so that why I thought I would go and see this version, but alas.........

Phantom said:
Yep, saw Million Dollar Baby last night as well. Yeh good film, very dramatic at the time but when I've woken up this morning and thought about it I've realised how unrealistic the 2nd half story was. I know that it was based on a novel. Don't know if it was a true story or not. But the performances of Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood were very good.

I would have to agree with you Phantom about MDB at the end. The acting was top notch from all the cast, though if we are talking Oscars, I don't consider it an oscar winning performance from Hilary Swank. It did let it self down several times trying to be just that little bit too schmaltzy (not sure if that is the word I am looking for but it will do) but it is a problem they have.

The biggest disappointment was SIDEWAYS. What a load of crap that was, two of the most unsympathetic characters I have come across in a film. How it managed to get 5 stars from a lot of reviewers is beyond me, I am sure there are others out there who will enjoy it though. Oh and it was far too long.

Saw Velvet Goldmine on DVD last night. Tony Collette and Ewan McGregor were reasonable, the other 2 playing the journalist and Slade were OK. Music was the best part, plot was OK, costumes were great. Alot of memories. Good for a telemovie. Good film to go to sleep to.

Watched Vera Blake last night at the local picture palace. The lead role is an ageing female peasant englander living a somewhat idyllic family life in working class London in 1950 - she provides the heart of her family and is a friend to all. However she lives a secret life as a backyard abortion provider, motivated purely by her desire to help young women in trouble. Her life collapses around her when one of her patients nearly dies and the police become involved.

The movie is a confronting one - it reveals the rank hypocrisy surrounding this issue at the time - safe medically provided abortions were available to those who had the money, while working class women had to take their chances. Attitudes towards the issue were ill-informed and ignorant. So nothing has changed, really.

The film is certainly topical given that jackals like Tony Abbott and others would remove the availablity of a clean, safe abortion procedure from women in an instant if they had a chance.

The movie itself is really one of 2 halves. The characters are strong and the director does not get caught up in the need to provide a happy or uplifting ending. I recommend it to you.

eight ace said:
Watched Vera Blake last night at the local picture palace. The lead role is an ageing female peasant englander living a somewhat idyllic family life in working class London in 1950 - she provides the heart of her family and is a friend to all. However she lives a secret life as a backyard abortion provider, motivated purely by her desire to help young women in trouble. Her life collapses around her when one of her patients nearly dies and the police become involved.

The movie is a confronting one - it reveals the rank hypocrisy surrounding this issue at the time - safe medically provided abortions were available to those who had the money, while working class women had to take their chances. Attitudes towards the issue were ill-informed and ignorant. So nothing has changed, really.

The film is certainly topical given that jackals like Tony Abbott and others would remove the availablity of a clean, safe abortion procedure from women in an instant if they had a chance.

The movie itself is really one of 2 halves. The characters are strong and the director does not get caught up in the need to provide a happy or uplifting ending. I recommend it to you.

Sounds like a heavy D & M, 8ace.
The issue is a big one. We went through it when my wife contracted measles and got pregnant with twins at the same time.
Little wonder what the puritans in our community would have told us to do if we'd been back in the 50s.
You know, all that God's will be done crap.

Tigers of Old said:
Just saw "Touching the Void" on DVD. Awesome Doco. Based on a true story. Inspiring tale of two mountain climbers journey of survival. Better than it sounds. Well worth the watch I thought. Best DVD I've seen in a while. :thumbsup
Finished watching it today. An excellent doco/story. Inspirational stuff!

Curtis :blah

eight ace said:
Watched Vera Blake last night at the local picture palace.
. . . . The movie itself is really one of 2 halves. The characters are strong and the director does not get caught up in the need to provide a happy or uplifting ending. I recommend it to you.

Got a good review on "At the Movies" tonight though DS did waffle on about director Leigh still waging a war against the upper classes - which I thought he could have kept quiet about.

Coming from a time when that sort of thing was prevalent [backyard abortionists], I worry that we could again see that sort of thing return. Abbott might sound like one half of a comedy team but there's nothing to laugh about this subject. Thanks eight ace, will put it on my wish list. It cleaned up the Brit awards, didn't it?

Don't think the Baftas have been on yet Roar.
Am looking forward to House of the Flying Daggers.
It's great to have David and Margaret back.

PS Give "Elektra" a miss folks.

Not the Baftas but the Bifas! :D

Vera Blake sweeps awards
December 2, 2004 - 12:11PM

Mike Leigh's moving portrayal of a back-street abortionist in 1950s London has swept the British Independent Film Awards, taking six awards, including Best Film and Best Director.
Vera Drake also snared the Best Actress award for Imelda Staunton and Best Actor for Phil Davis.

The film, which deals with a working class abortionist whose views are at odds with the society around her, found similar success at the Venice Film Festival, where it took the Golden Lion for Best Film and Best Actress for Staunton.

The London ceremony was attended by a raft of stars, including Christian Slater, Kelly Brook, Billy Zane and Gillian Anderson.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Film/Vera-Blake-sweeps-awards/2004/12/02/1101923244236.html?

Have seen "Bride and Prejudice" and "House of the Flying Daggers" in the last couple of days. Both excellent.
First one is a bit of a hoot and a great one for the guys to take their gals too and still get a laugh.
Daggers is a fantastic visual experience.

My wife went to Daggers with some friends last week. Her comment was that, although the scenery and costumes were fantastic, the rest of the film was pretty ordinary. But each to their own.

The bamboo forest scenes were amazing. Choreography was great. But I can see where Mrs Phantom is coming from.

Been watching Mad Max 2 in film class.

Cinematographically brilliant, but lacked story, IMO. Didn't hit so hard when the tanker rolled.

Anyone hear about the Mad Max 4 project?

Curtis :blah