Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I reckon if we include Lefau it signals Balta going back which is why I don't think he will. Miller and Tresize IMO will come in and replace Gibcus and Young.
Don’t know that it signals anything other than we are wary of Ports forward line and that having lost two tall defenders we have the capacity to bring in one tall replacement and another whose special skills may have his opponent whoever that may be, just a little cautious.

Miller faces a huge task if he comes in and Grimes plus Broad too.
If help is needed I don’t know whether he will give a damn about the message it sends.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Don’t know that it signals anything other than we are wary of Ports forward line and that having lost two tall defenders we have the capacity to bring in one tall replacement and another whose special skills may have his opponent whoever that may be, just a little cautious.

Miller faces a huge task if he comes in and Grimes plus Broad too.
If help is needed I don’t know whether he will give a damn about the message it sends.

Has Lefau ever played in defence?

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
I think Kosi will be given one of the first shots. Was AA U18 full back I think. Bigger and stronger and more experienced than the others

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Has Lefau ever played in defence?
Not sure. Certainly not since he injured his knee.
If selected against Carlton though my guess is that he would have gone there after half time, rather than Noah.
Hoping he comes in with a similar brief against Port next Sunday.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure. Certainly not since he injured his knee.
If selected against Carlton though my guess is that he would have gone there after half time, rather than Noah.
Hoping he comes in with a similar brief against Port next Sunday.

Its a MASSIVE risk to play someone back who has never played there before. I think its likely that we will replace Young and Gibcus with 2 of Miller, Kosi and Tresize. I get that you want Lefau in the team, but you are trying to find a position for him, which if we did it would likely not end well for him. He needs to play in a position that he knows.

Reactions: 2 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Lefau missed the second half of the VFL praccy match, injured. I think he hyper-extended his elbow. I can't see him getting up for next Sunday.

Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Lefau missed the second half of the VFL praccy match, injured. I think he hyper-extended his elbow. I can't see him getting up for next Sunday.
If Lefau comes into the side it should be as a forward

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Its a MASSIVE risk to play someone back who has never played there before. I think its likely that we will replace Young and Gibcus with 2 of Miller, Kosi and Tresize. I get that you want Lefau in the team, but you are trying to find a position for him, which if we did it would likely not end well for him. He needs to play in a position that he knows.
I would select as I set out in the Team v Port Adelaide file, with Miller at full back and Broad and Grimes on either side, and with NV at CHB with Short and Rioli on either back flank.
I have Trezise in on the wing, and McIntosh on the bench ready to play a defensive roll if needed. See post 44.

If selected Miller will certainly have his hands full. I agree with you that it is preferable that anyone going to defence have considerable experience there, but it is much more important imo that such player can physically match it with his opponent, who ever that may be..
Port Adelaide has a number of very tall athletic forward types, plus Soldo.
Big fan of Trezise but he can't match it in the air with their talls, and on the form so far displayed, nor can Kosy.

So Lefau on the bench also adding size, physical strength and great endeavour. Schooled and ready to come on and play as and where requested to the best of his ability. Not a perfect solution, but gives us a chance.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He frustrates me, Headless chook shiit he does. 1 minute he does something you can't believe how good it was, 10 seconds later he does the complete opposite and fks up badly. He should be as good as any with his strength and mobility.
But as usual had his 3rd week RDO
He had a chance to handball at the Ponsford end but decided to snap when he was too far past the goal line.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tough day for both Balta & Lynch. Credit to Poort’s defence. They had little impact. Perhaps lost a bit of momentum after having to go back into defence against the Blues. Hope he rediscovers it fast.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I thought he was OK. Good when he went to ruck and took a couple of good marks in defence.

Unfortunately there is only one of him

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
Looked injured. Anyone have any news? Will have a big job next week
Hopefully he's just sore, I did notice in the coverage after the win, when everyone else was going running around to celebrate with the fans, he was only taking about 3 steps a minute

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Don’t know about injuries, but boy, the ball was really hitting him in the palms today.
Some days he seems to stick everything and some days, like today, he just can’t real one in.

Also got belted up by Grundy when he went into the ruck in the last. Again, some days he can be a match winner in there, but today just couldn’t quite get it moving our way.

Having said all that, I really hope he’s good to go next week.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Looked injured. Anyone have any news? Will have a big job next week
Where in particular? His acceleration didn't seem to he hampered at all. Did good things defensively utilising that strength (acceleration) of his.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Where in particular? His acceleration didn't seem to he hampered at all. Did good things defensively utilising that strength (acceleration) of his.
I thought he looked proppy all game. But he could barely walk of the ground once the siren went.