Number One Priority - Draft a Ruckman | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Number One Priority - Draft a Ruckman

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
mrposhman said:
Naismith has impressed me too, but he's pretty much 4th in line so may well be open to a move. He will be behind Tippett and Sinclair and it seems Nankervis too.

If and when Maric retires (and it surely will be this year), then we must bring someone else in. I think the list we'd probably look at with ages (at start of next year) and games next to them.

Naismith (SYD) - 24 - 6 games
Nankervis (SYD) - 22 - 10 games
Vardy (GEE) - 25 - 25 games
Daw (NTH) - 25 - 21 games
Downie (GWS) - 23 - 9 games
Nicholls (GCS) - 24 - 45 games
Lycett (WCE) - 24 - 44 games

Who else might we be interested in?

Jack Hannath (FRE) 25 - 20 games.
I look at the possibles. We can trade Conca back to WA and get Lycett or Hannath in return. Both from country SA I think.
My personal preference is Downie but how to get it done.
Think all of Downie, Marchbank and Rockliff (strangely all Benalla boys) may want to come back to Victoria.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
this thread proves more than anything how many holes we have on our list:

- we lack midfield depth and may get Prestia which will help.

- none of Vickery, Griffiths and McBean have come on as KP forwards. you'd expect 2 of those to go this year, meaning we will have to replace at least 1 of them for the sake of list balance.

- Chaplin has retired, Astbury has come on a little (but not convincing), Bachelor will never be more than a 3rd defender at best and Grimes is decent but injury prone, meaning we will have to bring in a KP defender for the sake of list balance.

- as for ruckman, Ivan is finished, Hampson will stay on because we have no one else, Chol/Saldo are long term prospects and at least 1 of our 2nd string ruckman (Vickery/Griffiths) are also heading our the door, meaning we need to bring in a ruckman for the sake of list balance.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Ian4 said:
this thread proves more than anything how many holes we have on our list:

- we lack midfield depth and may get Prestia which will help.

- none of Vickery, Griffiths and McBean have come on as KP forwards. you'd expect 2 of those to go this year, meaning we will have to replace at least 1 of them for the sake of list balance.

- Chaplin has retired, Astbury has come on a little (but not convincing), Bachelor will never be more than a 3rd defender at best and Grimes is decent but injury prone, meaning we will have to bring in a KP defender for the sake of list balance.

- as for ruckman, Ivan is finished, Hampson will stay on because we have no one else, Chol/Saldo are long term prospects and at least 1 of our 2nd string ruckman (Vickery/Griffiths) are also heading our the door, meaning we need to bring in a ruckman for the sake of list balance.

In one of the other threads I showed what GWS paid for Downie, Stewart and Finlayson. They paid the equivalent of about Pick 21. They are all out of contract, hopefully we might be able to get them with a slightly later pick.

I also understand that Tom Lamb wants to come home to VIC and apparently WC may be interested in Conca.

So my thinking, send Conca to WC for Lamb and an upgrade of our 3rd to West Coasts 2nd (something like Pick 40 for Pick 30). Then trade that Pick to GWS for those 3 tall players. I don't know a lot about Finlayson but read a bit on the phantom drafts (would be interested to hear if Bully / Scoop have seen much of him). Downie looks like he will be ok as a ruck and Stewart whilst not setting the world on fire is a developing tall forward and could do wonders when given a run in a team (look at Bruce for an example of a GWS tall that has done that).

We'd get Lamb (192cm forward) plus Stewart and Finlayson as KP players plus Downie, all for Pick 40 and Conca.

Reckon the value is about right, but need to see if discount Dan and Hartley can get it done.

That would leave the rest of our picks and any other trades we get done to concentrate on the mids. Whilst these talls may not be certain starters next year, they fill the balance of the list out a bit more and we can hopefully develop them into being good players for us.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We should go hard after either Naismith or Nankervis. The Swans have Tippett, Sinclair, Derickx, Naismith and Nankervis.
Naismith would be my preference, and then either Nankervis or Sinclair.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
tigerman said:
We should go hard after either Naismith or Nankervis. The Swans have Tippett, Sinclair, Derickx, Naismith and Nankervis.
Naismith would be my preference, and then either Nankervis or Sinclair.

I doubt Naismith would be up for grabs, tigerman. He can ruck. Nankervis is in the McEvoy mould, not as good a mark but a heavy and frequent hitter at ground level. Like McEvoy he can be exposed at ruck contests. For air.

Nankervis is a natural complement to Hansel. But he's no star. I think Sinclair is clearly the least of the trio but we don't want him.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
mrposhman said:
Naismith has impressed me too, but he's pretty much 4th in line so may well be open to a move. He will be behind Tippett and Sinclair and it seems Nankervis too.

If and when Maric retires (and it surely will be this year), then we must bring someone else in. I think the list we'd probably look at with ages (at start of next year) and games next to them.

Naismith (SYD) - 24 - 6 games
Nankervis (SYD) - 22 - 10 games
Vardy (GEE) - 25 - 25 games
Daw (NTH) - 25 - 21 games
Downie (GWS) - 23 - 9 games
Nicholls (GCS) - 24 - 45 games
Lycett (WCE) - 24 - 44 games

Who else might we be interested in?

No, I think Naismith is the one to go for. Still 3rd banana at Swans when Tippett's back. Has the height and weight you need to compete today at 206cm and 108kg, but is still really mobile, goes in unafraid, young and should have real upside.

How do we get him though? Aren't we giving up pick 6 for Prestia? Lol.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
leon said:
No, I think Naismith is the one to go for. Still 3rd banana at Swans when Tippett's back. Has the height and weight you need to compete today at 206cm and 108kg, but is still really mobile, goes in unafraid, young and should have real upside.

How do we get him though? Aren't we giving up pick 6 for Prestia? Lol.

I'd focus on Naismith too. Probably comes down to the player really. He's contracted till 2018 which makes it harder to trade as might have to pay overs and Sydney will probably see him as their next ruck with Tippett being 29 and Sinclair nearly 27. If Naismith wants to play a lot of senior footy over the next couple of years then he will seek a trade. The swans seem to be ok to deal with so will probably look at a fair trade, but whats fair for him. I'd be thinking a pick between 25 and 30 personally being as he's contracted and a required player.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dyer'ere said:
I doubt Naismith would be up for grabs, tigerman. He can ruck. Nankervis is in the McEvoy mould, not as good a mark but a heavy and frequent hitter at ground level. Like McEvoy he can be exposed at ruck contests.

I don't think they will give up Naismith either Jack, plus I think he's from nsw.
They have a glut of ruckman, Nankervis has shown a bit and would be a good pickup.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bill James said:
Don't draft ruckmen in first round.

Don't agree, every draft should be treated on it's merits. Grundy would have been a much wiser selection than Vlastuin.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
think from memory i heard a while ago that the best Talls are usually taken early in the Draft. could be completely wrong on that one tho

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
scottyturnerscurse said:
Unless you have multiple picks in the first round.

Again, every player should be treated on their merits. This year Tim English is worth a first round pick. If a ruckman possesses all the traits of an accomplished midfielder then why should he be deemed undraftable in the first round? Rucks take longer to develop but so do KP players and they are an absolute must in the first round.

For the record, Tim English is already playing senior reserves and doing exceedingly well, the longer the season goes on the more I think he'll go in the top ten.

keepa lids onit

Medal number 1, 2 & 3
May 13, 2005
Bill James said:
Don't draft ruckmen in first round.
Correct. Why waste a pick when you can trade in a 22 yo second or third string ruckman who has had the development put into him already. Zac smith hickey longer have gone this way. Lobb ( or another of GWS 6 rucks they have lol) wright nicholls these are the types you should be looking at. Most teams only play one proper ruck yet there are three- four rucks on a clubs list. Much cheaper and safer to get a more mature kid than a 18 yo skinny kid who will need 5 years to come good

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
Well the RFC doesn't believe we need a ruckman. They just re-signed Hampson for another 2 years.

What the hell are we doing?