Once In a Generation Rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Once In a Generation Rebuild

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reckon the cliff fall for the tigers will be SEVERE in the next few years.

Currently - we would be in the bottom 3 teams - on form.

When you have so many players hitting 29+ next year - many who are currently week to week propositions/in severe decline/hunger lacking after 3 flags - It's going to be pretty ugly in the next few years.

When they retire - There's no way you can replace that experience/talent in 1 or 2 drafts.

We've squeezed the greatest amount of juice possible from this core group of players.

As well -there's no guarantee that our current crop of youngsters will make the grade. Promising yes - But we tend over value our own.

These are the ages of our experienced players - who have tasted great success - mid next year.

Houli 34
Riewoldt 33.5
Edwards 33.5
Cotchin 32
Martin 31
Grimes 31
Astbury 31
Lambert 30.5
Pickett 30.5
Caddy 29.75
Lynch 29.5
Prestia 29.5
Broad 29
Mcintosh 28
Vlastuin 28
Nankervis 27.5

These champs deserve legend status for what they've achieved - winning 3 flags. Not to mention the absolute pleasure they've given us adoring fans over the last 10 years.

Playing on - just for the cash - just ruins that memory.

Some REALLY hard brutal decisions have to be made this season and next.

Does Hartley and Hardwick have the necessary courage/objectivity to do so?

More importantly - Has the need for a rebuild hit Damien yet?

A complete rebuild is necessary. In all positions. On and off field.(coaching)

Getting access to the draft cream/elite talent is something we've been deprived of - for years

In 3/4 years time - after lowly ladder positions/media scrutiny - I can't see Hardwick staying around. (It will be 14 years at Richmond in 2024)

It will be a real test of character for the Club - Going Forward.

Just have to be patient and realise it's part of a greater cycle. Happens to every dynasty.

Dont agree with this at all.

Bottoming out is the single last thing we want to do.

We waited 30 years to have a culture of success and excellence.

Let's not *smile* it away for a few untried, untested kids.

It doesn't work.

Reactions: 12 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008

It doesn't work.
Agree. Prefer the model where we continually challenge and snag a flag every now and then!

Reactions: 3 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
We really shouldnt be in this position we are currently in.
While we were winning flags our recruiting team were admiring themselves.
Our recruiting team has fked up again.
We burnt picks on 2 Ellis's both gone, throw in the fken dud Huggins and now Cd.
We shouldve had 2 or 3 22-24 year olds ready to go.
I'm scared they will *smile* it up again this year and we will have to rely on a 3rd round rookie selection .
bolton baker balta all in that age next year.

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005

It doesn't work.
Leysy it’s going to happen whether you like it or not.

Purely due to the retirements that will occur in the next 2 to 3 years.

Currently the club has no depth at all. That’s not going to change overnight.

Other non final clubs recent improvement in their lists will ensure we remain outside the top 8.

Our best 22 next year will be competitive at times against the top 4 - But as I’ve stressed - The likelihood of the full 22 being on the park week in week out is remote - given the age of our stars. Plus these stars are in decline. They are not the players they were 3 years ago.

Thanks to Hocking - our list will be even more exposed next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Recruit for needs. Tall kpp defender. Back up for Nank. Height and speed around the flanks.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
And wheres the other 4?
Baker is a rookie.
Im talking about early skilful quality kids.

Well I will add Stack who is 21, CJ is 22, Rioli is 24 and is it to early to call Junior with a preseason or two could be anything at 19 - that’s 4 added to Baker (23), Balta (21) and Bolton (22) - which is a pretty good group of young talent to work with. Graham is also only 23.

We also have 3 good serviceable young players in Dow only 19, RCD is 21 and Hugo is 19 who all should make it - they have played a total 20 games between them.

That’s 11 players who have all showed some class - whether they make it who knows but it’s exciting group imo. This year we were forced to play too many kids at once so not surprising we ended up missing the 8 but the cupboard certainly ain’t bear and I certainly don’t subscribe that we need a total rebuild.

We need to pick a player like Caleb Serong pick 8 and a Mitch Georgiades pick 18 in 2019 and we have the players to build around or last year Nick Cox (bummers) who went pick 8 and has played 20 games plus one more hit from our other 4 picks and we are on our way baby.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Surely Soldo will be back for the start of the '22 season ?
Ivan the Younger is no certainty that he will recover to his old self after the destruction of his knee. Tall gangly blokes, long levers, lots of forces through those pinion joints, ain’t good after such trauma.
I am being pessimistic but I think the likelihood that he returns as the player he was is only a 1 in 3 chance. Great if he does come back as the old Solo Man but I ain’t counting on it.
Bloody Shovekins, hope karma comes his way.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
We need to keep enough of the senior players around long enough for the next generation to understand the culture. It is also important that the mid 20s guys step up and take the responsibility for passing the culture on. Does the "Richmond Man" mantra just become hollow words once the current leaders leave? If it does, it doesn't matter who we recruit from other clubs.

We will still have Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Martin and Grimes for at least one more year, so tick, we have the leaders. We also have Baker, Short, DRioli, Graham, Balta and Bolton, so one more tick, we have the next generation of leaders in place already. We even have a decent group in between, Vlastuin, Prestia, Lynch, Broad and McIntosh, which tells us that the core group will be solid next year.

What we don't have is quality youngsters. Ten years ago, we had all the young talent we needed coming through, thanks to early draft picks. We then added foot soldiers like Maric, Houli and Grigg. Then we added more foot soldiers like Lambert, Broad and Short through the rookie draft and late picks. When we chose to bring in another group from other teams in 2016 to fill in the gaps, we were away.

It was a process and it began with pulling the right reins at the Draft. Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Astbury, Grimes. Forget the misses in between, this is the three flags right here! Along with Hardwick, they did the hard work to boot the loser mentality out of the club and replace it with culture that had everyone on the same page.

Now we need to get as many early picks as possible for the next two drafts. The senior players will guide them. We need an injection of classy young players now, not more core players. They can be added later. Bringing in older replacements like Talia to replace Dave, for example, is a mistake.

Go to the draft! this year! Find the next group of leaders and fill in the gaps later.

Reactions: 14 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Well I will add Stack who is 21, CJ is 22, Rioli is 24 and is it to early to call Junior with a preseason or two could be anything at 19 - that’s 4 added to Baker (23), Balta (21) and Bolton (22) - which is a pretty good group of young talent to work with. Graham is also only 23.

We also have 3 good serviceable young players in Dow only 19, RCD is 21 and Hugo is 19 who all should make it - they have played a total 20 games between them.

That’s 11 players who have all showed some class - whether they make it who knows but it’s exciting group imo. This year we were forced to play too many kids at once so not surprising we ended up missing the 8 but the cupboard certainly ain’t bear and I certainly don’t subscribe that we need a total rebuild.

We need to pick a player like Caleb Serong pick 8 and a Mitch Georgiades pick 18 in 2019 and we have the players to build around or last year Nick Cox (bummers) who went pick 8 and has played 20 games plus one more hit from our other 4 picks and we are on our way baby.
We get kids of the calibre of Georgiadis or Cox get ready for Mr 14.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
And wheres the other 4?
Baker is a rookie.
Im talking about early skilful quality kids.
Baker kicks of both feet, Balta,Bolton all can become A graders, then next tear u have a much improved rioli,Graham, short, Nankervis,so a fair start.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

It doesn't work.
were you drunk when you wrote this? or did someone still your log in?
this post makes too much sense.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
There’s a reason why GWS and GC had problems.

A monoculture of kids at similar age will cause all manner of headaches when their market value kicks in.

What we actually want this off season are 2/3 classy kids and 2/3 50-gamers in the 21-24 age bracket.

At the other end, Astbury and Houli fall off the conveyor belt. At his best Houli probably has Stack and Rioli covered in the position, but you put games in the kids. Now is the time.

Next year will be a challenge cos it’ll be Cotch and Jack. We have 12 months to find replacements whether they be draft recruits or free agents.

Mosaic list management. That’s what’ll keep us contending year after year.

Reactions: 1 user

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Leysy it’s going to happen whether you like it or not.

Purely due to the retirements that will occur in the next 2 to 3 years.

Currently the club has no depth at all. That’s not going to change overnight.

Other non final clubs recent improvement in their lists will ensure we remain outside the top 8.

Our best 22 next year will be competitive at times against the top 4 - But as I’ve stressed - The likelihood of the full 22 being on the park week in week out is remote - given the age of our stars. Plus these stars are in decline. They are not the players they were 3 years ago.

Thanks to Hocking - our list will be even more exposed next year.

Darksider!!