OUR LIST FOR 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

OUR LIST FOR 2023

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The other thing is there is a lot of assumption being made that those 5 will make it.

I'd be interested to see the stats on clubs strike rates when taking so many picks in the same draft. Drafting is hard.
Development is equally as important.
We have one of the best programs going around.
We’ll give these boys every chance of making it.
But of course no guarantees

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The other thing is there is a lot of assumption being made that those 5 will make it.

I'd be interested to see the stats on clubs strike rates when taking so many picks in the same draft. Drafting is hard.
On the flipside drafting a successful batch in a single year is a massive boost.
Having all 5 progress together changes the list balance dramatically.

Yes the odds of all 5 making it are low.
But on exposed form the first 3 can play. If we get 1 out of Brown and Banks it's terrific, if we get all 5 then it's a stellar result.
I'm bullish!

My only cautious note is how we are talking about the 5 as proof we have depth in our kids.
Those 5 fill the gaps from the past 4 years, so we aren't ahead of the game list management wise
It isnt pressure relief for the upcoming drafts.

Reactions: 2 users

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
Isnt it incomplete to say that we've taken 5 picks under 30 last year?
Its lazy and biased.
We should be considering more years
2020 - earliest pick #40 - outcome MRJ, Ryan and Mansell= 1 probable, 2 possible
2019 - first pick #21 - Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Nyuon = 1 probable, 3 possible, 1 delisted
2018 - first pick #20 - RCD, Ross, Turner, English, Aarts, = 1 probable, 4 delisted
2017 - first pick #17 - Higgins, CCJ, Balta, Naish, Miller = 1 probable, 1 possible, 3 delisted/traded

So over 4 years we have 4 probable/definite top 22. Just 4
There is possibility for more, but most possibles are very under-exposed
(eg Biggie, Miller, Ryan looking good at VFL level is a long way from AFL)

To maintain a side that can average a 10 year career requires 2 successful draftees each year. To maintain the level of senior stability (not counting star power)

In essence the 2021 5 in 30 has backfilled the 2017-2020 gaps. We shouldnt be double-counting it to cover 2022 and 2023.
Other then missing our best draftee in that period in Liam Baker you make a reasonable point. However don’t forget we have 5 spots to fill and out track record late in drafts and rookie picks is quite good. Personally for what it’s worth, I think our list balance with vets (28+), players in their prime (24-27) and youngsters (19-23) has never been better.

Reactions: 2 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Those 5 fill the gaps from the past 4 years, so we aren't ahead of the game list management wise
It isnt pressure relief for the upcoming drafts.
Think we're ahead of the game.
Do you think we would've chased both Hopper & TT if we didn't get 5 picks in the top 30 last year?

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Love our for a forward Line
Love our midfield
But our back 6 needs 1 decent intercept marking option. Miller???

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Love our for a forward Lineand
Love our midfield
Are you including Gibcus?
Hope he plays only in defence in 2023 and that he’s given every opportunity to improve build on his early form from this season.
He got a bit flaky in the second half of this season but showed early that he can become a valuable long term player. Just not in the forward line for at least the next year or two.

And Miller is another option for sure - depending on whether he’s called on to do any back up rucking

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just bloody thankful that Rossy, Funky, Cummers, Moju n Raaalph all showed enough this year that we can persevere with their development n they should grow into reasonably decent core players for us.
Last years bunch of youngsters look highly promising already, nothing wrong with the first seasons of Gibber, Sonzarelli n Clarke, hopefully the Banker n Browneye can step into the side at times during 2023 along with Delilah n Bauer bird. If this happens our future stays bright n shiny, if not a fair bit of mediocrity beckons.

Stacky n R2D2 failed to grow n develop into solid senior players and are now gone. Dow n Mansell still need to find something extra to become senior regulars but I'm not overly hopeful.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Are you including Gibcus?
Hope he plays only in defence in 2023 and that he’s given every opportunity to improve build on his early form from this season.
He got a bit flaky in the second half of this season but showed early that he can become a valuable long term player. Just not in the forward line for at least the next year or two.

And Miller is another option for sure - depending on whether he’s called on to do any back up rucking
We need to pluck a marking type this year, simliar to the Viking from Geelong

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Other then missing our best draftee in that period in Liam Baker you make a reasonable point. However don’t forget we have 5 spots to fill and out track record late in drafts and rookie picks is quite good. Personally for what it’s worth, I think our list balance with vets (28+), players in their prime (24-27) and youngsters (19-23) has never been better.
Bakes!
Thanks, missed him and that helps considerably.
Plus if we include 2016 with Graham and Bolton, we get:
Bolton, Graham, Balta, Baker, Ross, Cumberland, MRJ.
And possibles Miller, Dow, Ralphsmith, Nyuon, Ryan, Mansell

To hit a target of 2 draftees a year making a 10 year career, we would need 3 of the 6 possibles to make it.
That's possible

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Will be interesting to see if this eventuates.

RICHMOND

Picks:
53, 63,

Mick Ablett says: With the additions of former Giants star midfielders Jacob Hopper and

Tim Taranto, the Tigers are on their way to returning as genuine Premiership

contenders. Now there is simply a need for speed. While Shai Bolton and Maurice Rioli tick these boxes, further outside leg speed would greatly assist. Could the Tigers find a mature

age recruit like Isaac Smith was to give them the edge?

Draft Prediction: While the Tigers won’t get their chance until late in the piece,

there will still be talent on the board. Should a player like Swan Districts small forward Darcy

Jones slip through, he would be an ideal candidate. Jones won the agility test at the draft time in 7.70sec to show just how elusive he is. Powerful defender James Van Es is also a watch.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The area where we are falling down is in father sons - that cupboard is empty. Teams at the top that have done well include the pies with the Daicos’s, the doggies with Darcey and now Brisbane this year.

Top teams get an amazing lift long term when they score a top 5 pick.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The area where we are falling down is in father sons - that cupboard is empty. Teams at the top that have done well include the pies with the Daicos’s, the doggies with Darcey and now Brisbane this year.

Top teams get an amazing lift long term when they score a top 5 pick.
What’s happened to the younger Naish ?

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Love our for a forward Line
Love our midfield
I was thinking if Miller keeps improving as a forward/ruck ,and improves his goal kicking he might become the next Benny.
Still think the Tigers have something up their sleeves come 2023 trade week,to get a key forward.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I was thinking if Miller keeps improving as a forward/ruck ,and improves his goal kicking he might become the next Benny.
Still think the Tigers have something up their sleeves come 2023 trade week,to get a key forward.
Do you not rate Cumberland as an upcoming star?
I was impressed with the few games he played this year.
Maybe a bit on the small side unlike Lynch, but similar to Jack R.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Do you not rate Cumberland as an upcoming star?
I was impressed with the few games he played this year.
Maybe a bit on the small side unlike Lynch, but similar to Jack R.
Cumberland is that third forward type,what he's done so far has been impressive.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Cumberland is that third forward type,what he's done so far has been impressive.
He’s probably actually only a HFF. Good on the ground and good in the air. Nathan Brown, Didak, Jamie Elliot type.
No one really calls those guys third forwards.