Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've said this before, but with a KPI that says umpires need to reduce the number of free kicks given in a game, they don't pay everything they see and it is bleedingly obvious they don't (that is, unless they really do need to visit their sponsors for an eye test). See plenty of jumper pulls right in front of the umpires and they are not paid.

How many times do you hear commentators saying "they are letting the game go". While we might be sympathetic to letting the game go it is a recipe for inconsistency.

Clarify the rules. If they want less free kicks then make the rules reflect how they are actually going to adjudicate the game.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I may have missed it, but I've seen no discussion about the possibility of the Dangerfield being rattled by knocking out Vlastuin. Ibelieve it was deliberate and should have been 2-4 weeks. Duty of care? Impact? Forget its Mr Nice Guy, Danger the Likeable. If it had been Lynch or Dusty, especially Lynch, the Hanging judges would have lined up. There were clearly 2 motions. Its 2-4 weeks all day long, and thats giving him some leeway for the spoil. I reckon Danger thought the same.

But the thing is, I reckon the incident, and the booing from us tigers fans, the whole thing, rattled him and put him off. You could see it in his eyes after the hit when Flossy was in the arms of the doc and the game was stopped. He looked rattled, he was rattled.

Reactions: 10 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I may have missed it, but I've seen no discussion about the possibility of the Dangerfield being rattled by knocking out Vlastuin. Ibelieve it was deliberate and should have been 2-4 weeks. Duty of care? Impact? Forget its Mr Nice Guy, Danger the Likeable. If it had been Lynch or Dusty, especially Lynch, the Hanging judges would have lined up. There were clearly 2 motions. Its 2-4 weeks all day long, and thats giving him some leeway for the spoil. I reckon Danger thought the same.

But the thing is, I reckon the incident, and the booing from us tigers fans, the whole thing, rattled him and put him off. You could see it in his eyes after the hit when Flossy was in the arms of the doc and the game was stopped. He looked rattled, he was rattled.
Two motions. Indisputable and damning according to AFL precedents.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There were 2 incidents in the game that had the delivering party been Lynch then he would most certainly have been suspended and the media would have been all over it.

Dangers elbow to Vlastuin
Selwood rubbing Bakers face (this was worse than what Lynch did to Witherden but that was played on repeat for weeks)

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That's a very good point, people always forget the umpires only pay what they see, not what the spectator can see from the grandstand/TV.
Maybe the bastards should open their eyes occasionally n they might see something. Was it Balta or Nank a few weeks before the finals had his jumper pulled up over his head in a contest n all three maggots just happened to have their heads up their collective arses all at the same time?
Far to often they'll " miss " blatantly obvious infringements n then suddenly start pulling insignificant technical free kicks out of their arses.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013

Yes and anyone who disagrees cannot back it up apartfrom being a fanboi for the goose.
Punched the ball, fair call.
Cocked his elbow, yep ok,
Raised it and hit an opponent in the face, not a forearm an Elbow!
Could have dropped it, tucked it and taken a hit from an honest player, the would have both walked away.
Now I agree its a final and good luck to the goose for choosing his action, but it doesn't mean he should get away with it in the end.
The afl are just weak. *smile* weak.
Danger got what he deserved in the game, but not in the media or future. He is looked after.

Reactions: 9 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Yes and anyone who disagrees cannot back it up apartfrom being a fanboi for the goose.
Punched the ball, fair call.
Cocked his elbow, yep ok,
Raised it and hit an opponent in the face, not a forearm an Elbow!
Could have dropped it, tucked it and taken a hit from an honest player, the would have both walked away.
Now I agree its a final and good luck to the goose for choosing his action, but it doesn't mean he should get away with it in the end.
The afl are just weak. *smile* weak.
Danger got what he deserved in the game, but not in the media or future. He is looked after.

I've been wondering, what if it was the other way round & it was Vloss that hit the Dangerdiver !!!!! I very much doubt that Vloss would have been given so much leniency.
Think back to earlier in the season how we were targetted by the media, they would have had him well & truly in their sights.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The one damning part of Clanger's elbow to Vlossy's face wasn't just the double action, it was that he followed through. It wasn't a brace action, it was a show of force. That force was to cause damage & poor Nick had his brain rattled in his skull to the point of being knocked out cold. Definitely should have been suspended.

• Angry
Reactions: 12 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The one damning part of Clanger's elbow to Vlossy's face wasn't just the double action, it was that he followed through. It wasn't a brace action, it was a show of force. Definitely should have been suspended.
I disagree. You can make that judgement in slow motion but at real speed there was literally nothing he could do.

We need to make allowance for the fact that in AFL football unavoidable contact occurs

TigerTribe5

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 14, 2010
Disagree entirely. He could definitely have made a different choice than cocking his elbow into Vlastuins face.
Agree entirely! He had time to retract his fist by bending his arm back and so he had time to drop his elbow & brace for the collision with his shoulder!
Guilty!
Should have got 4 weeks minimum.

Reactions: 10 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
how come Selwood gets a free kick if the hair on the inside of an elbow casts a breeze on his upper chest,

but Vlastuin cops a 30km/hr outside elbow right on the chin that puts him on a stretcher,

and its play on?

was this the least competent umpiring decision ever made?

FWIW, I think Dangerfield recognised an opportunity to put Vlastuin in hospital and took it. Then I reckon it got in his head and sabotaged his own game. He was visibly rattled. His entire body language changed. he had a bit of a kid on his first day at school, sitting on the mat, listening to a story, wriggling about trying not to *smile* his pants, kind of look.

But there is a footy god. There is justice and truth. Because its inked in the history books, that the great Patrick Dangerfield, Brownlow medalist, All Australian captain, played in 1 grand final. and Lost. When he's grinning superiorly, with spreading jowls, providing pretentious, mercenary 'insights' as a commentator, he's still a 0-time premiership player; an unfulfilled, frustrated, failure

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
how come Selwood get a free kick if the hair on the inside of an elbow casts a breeze on his upper chest,

but Vlastuin cops a 30km/hr outside elbow to the chin that puts him on a stretcher,

and its play on?

FWIW, I think Dangerfield recognised an opportunity to put Vlastuin in hospital and took it. Then I reckon it got in his head and sabotaged his own game. He was visibly rattled. His entire body language changed. he had a bit of a kid on his first day at school, sitting on the mat, listening to a story, wriggling about trying not to *smile* his pants, kind of look.

Fair go mate. There are only 3 field umpires.....

......all of them down the other end
MRO had a loooong double blink when that occurred and was too busy scrutinising video looking to fine some Tigers for slight misdemeanours

Last edited:
  • Wow

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I just love the fact that we're still discussing this self-righteous tosser even 10 days after the GF
And each time I watch the replay - which is mainly the second half - I become even more joyous.

And it's not just about the way we steamrolled "them" but how "he" in particular basically capitulated into the weak shadow of the player he is meant to be.

Time and time again he displayed exaggerated actions and a sense of entitlement that because he didn't win the ball in the contest - he surely deserved being awarded it due to some infringement by those rough Richmond bullies. The look on his face each time he's rightly ignored by the umps is extraordinary.

And as for his last two involvements i.e. the pathetic kick that was turned over and led to Jacks goal - and his floundering in the wake of Dusty - well it's impossible not to laugh through those final minutes.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I just love the fact that we're still discussing this self-righteous tosser even 10 days after the GF
And each time I watch the replay - which is mainly the second half - I become even more joyous.

And it's not just about the way we steamrolled "them" but how "he" in particular basically capitulated into the weak shadow of the player he is meant to be.

Time and time again he displayed exaggerated actions and a sense of entitlement that because he didn't win the ball in the contest - he surely deserved being awarded it due to some infringement by those rough Richmond bullies. The look on his face each time he's rightly ignored by the umps is extraordinary.

And as for his last two involvements i.e. the pathetic kick that was turned over and led to Jacks goal - and his floundering in the wake of Dusty - well it's impossible not to laugh through those final minutes.

yes. he went the full sook in the second half. Not just missing, but a petulant full surrender of the body and soul.

Its lucky the AA side doesn't play a hybrid game against the all-blacks,

'cause the captain would grin stupidly at The Haka, like a narcissistic movie star,

and capitulate feebly.

Dangerfield is a contender for the most pissweak champion the game has known.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
how come Selwood gets a free kick if the hair on the inside of an elbow casts a breeze on his upper chest,

but Vlastuin cops a 30km/hr outside elbow right on the chin that puts him on a stretcher,

and its play on?

But there is a footy god. There is justice and truth. Because its inked in the history books, that the great Patrick Dangerfield, Brownlow medalist, All Australian captain, played in 1 grand final. and Lost. When he's grinning superiorly, with spreading jowls, providing pretentious, mercenary 'insights' as a commentator, he's still a 0-time premiership player; an unfulfilled, frustrated, failure
Agree Ezy but let's be honest, Dangerflog has a history of going missing in the big ones.

Agree that the incident and subsequent booing got to him but I think he would have done so without the Vlas incident.

Looking forward I expect the Tiger Army to seriously give it to him. Be interesting to see how he respondes. I think he'll crawl under a rock.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
:cool:..and our blood nut warrior became a premiership player for the 3rd time. Best justice of all.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Agree Ezy but let's be honest, Dangerflog has a history of going missing in the big ones.

Agree that the incident and subsequent booing got to him but I think he would have done so without the Vlas incident.

Looking forward I expect the Tiger Army to seriously give it to him. Be interesting to see how he respondes. I think he'll crawl under a rock.

Im not into Boo'ing. I never have been. I always try stick to the positive at a game of footy.

But my chest and throat hurt for a week from boo'ing and screaming obscenities at Dangerfield after he deliberately elbowed

Richmonds Greatest Love Machine

on the chin.

Im pretty sure I called him a filthy *smile* at the absolute top of my lungs,

with broad support from my fellow supporters within earshot

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Im not into Boo'ing. I never have been. I always try stick to the positive at a game of footy.

But my chest and throat hurt for a week from boo'ing and screaming obscenities at Dangerfield after he deliberately elbowed

Richmonds Greatest Love Machine

on the chin.

Im pretty sure I called him a filthy *smile* at the absolute top of my lungs,

with broad support from my fellow supporters within earshot

Im boooooing.
I love booooooing
I grew up booooooing
I will continue booooooing

Reactions: 1 users