Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
A day or two before the Grand Final, apparently someone in the media said Dangerfield should belt one of our players in the opening minutes.

Anyone know who said it?

Danger spent hours cuddling the media that week, so they would’ve known his mindset going into the match.

It sure was a coincidence.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Disagree entirely. He could definitely have made a different choice than cocking his elbow into Vlastuins face.
Watching the replay. Clangerfeild puts his elbow up, and then straightens his arm during the contact. That is called a strike.
If he left his elbow in place then you could argue it was defense.

Watch it in slow mo or normal speed, it looks like a strike to me.

Reactions: 7 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Watching the replay. Clangerfeild puts his elbow up, and then straightens his arm during the contact. That is called a strike.
If he left his elbow in place then you could argue it was defense.

Watch it in slow mo or normal speed, it looks like a strike to me.

He is shiit. 4 weeks isnt the issue.
He has a life time to think about his no show in the biggest game of his career.
The media need to understand that he is part of the reason he isn't a premiership player and stop giving him excuses.
He did nothing when the game was there to win, absolutly nothing.
Im not sure what performance was worse his no show after half time in the prelimarly final or his 4 qtr effort 2 weeks ago.
His last 2 finals were very average.
Maybe Geelong need to accept he isn't a finals player

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The rules ask if the player strikes another person.

Clearly the answer is yes.

All this debate about whether it was intentional, whether it could have been avoided etc is actually irrelevant because he was never reported.

The rules are crystal clear, are not open to misinterpretation, the rules state that if you strike another player you get reported, end of story.

The rest of the debate about a penalty, and the length of a penalty if one is imposed, is supposed to be a decision for the tribunal. But in this case, in complete and bleedingly obvious contravention of the laws of Australian Football as published by the AFL, the case is not to be heard by the tribunal because the player in question was not reported.

Absolute farce.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
how come Selwood gets a free kick if the hair on the inside of an elbow casts a breeze on his upper chest,

but Vlastuin cops a 30km/hr outside elbow right on the chin that puts him on a stretcher,

and its play on?

was this the least competent umpiring decision ever made?

FWIW, I think Dangerfield recognised an opportunity to put Vlastuin in hospital and took it. Then I reckon it got in his head and sabotaged his own game. He was visibly rattled. His entire body language changed. he had a bit of a kid on his first day at school, sitting on the mat, listening to a story, wriggling about trying not to *smile* his pants, kind of look.

But there is a footy god. There is justice and truth. Because its inked in the history books, that the great Patrick Dangerfield, Brownlow medalist, All Australian captain, played in 1 grand final. and Lost. When he's grinning superiorly, with spreading jowls, providing pretentious, mercenary 'insights' as a commentator, he's still a 0-time premiership player; an unfulfilled, frustrated, failure

Yes eZyT those footy gods work in a funny way, John Nicholls thought he got away with Neville Crowe incident but the gods sent Laurie to sort that out. Dangerfield might not know about the footy gods, he might just find out next year.

Reactions: 1 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
I’m in the camp that it should have been a minimum of two weeks for reckless contact, but that’s just speculative to the review that should have been, but never came.

At the very least it demanded that it be looked at for review due to the fact that a player made contact to another player’s head with a forearm or elbow and that second player was concussed and stretchered off the ground. Pretty much what DS said above.

In addition - The other thing I’m not sure has been mentioned here (apologies if it has and I missed it) is the alternative actions he could have chosen. To counter the argument that it happened in the blink of an eye and therefore impossible to avert the collision, I say that during the action that he chose, he had time to
A. Extend his arm to punch the ball, then
B. Retract his arm to form a ‘bumper’

So he had time to retract his arm.

His alternative actions were either:
1. Not to punch the ball
2. Trying to grab the ball
3. Punch the ball but keep his arm out

Yep sure, not much time to make a decision. But an experienced player is drilled to avoid head contact.

It’s the second action that I believe Vlastuin was preparing for so he could tackle, but when he sees D’s arm flick up and out he tries to adjust. But his adjustment doesn’t then allow for D binging his arm back in.

A couple more obs:

Dangerfield steps forward and slightly right to reach across to punch the ball. He has to cut diagonally across the front of Vlastuin’s path. So it’s not so much as unavoidable but more that he instigated the collision by addressing the ball like this. If you’re going to do that, you just must keep your arm down...

His arm is very high. His punch was always risky to the safety of the incoming player, but in those brief seconds he elected to take that risk.
2C941368-F5EA-4D4B-A8C4-64FC000168B2.jpeg
Shot 3 shows how high he leads with his elbow before punching.

The more I look at the vision in normal time, the more I think that his elbow and arm is just way too high for what he sees coming toward him.

I actually don’t think it was intentional for him to collect Vlastuin. To punch the ball clear is a fairly instinctive thing to want to gain advantage. But I do think the way it was carried out was clumsy and it resulted in a head injury. He misjudged how much time he had to get that punch in. I am surprised it didn’t even get cited.

Anyway, that’s more than enough from me on the subject!

Reactions: 3 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I’m in the camp that it should have been a minimum of two weeks for reckless contact, but that’s just speculative to the review that should have been, but never came.

At the very least it demanded that it be looked at for review due to the fact that a player made contact to another player’s head with a forearm or elbow and that second player was concussed and stretchered off the ground. Pretty much what DS said above.

In addition - The other thing I’m not sure has been mentioned here (apologies if it has and I missed it) is the alternative actions he could have chosen. To counter the argument that it happened in the blink of an eye and therefore impossible to avert the collision, I say that during the action that he chose, he had time to
A. Extend his arm to punch the ball, then
B. Retract his arm to form a ‘bumper’

So he had time to retract his arm.

His alternative actions were either:
1. Not to punch the ball
2. Trying to grab the ball
3. Punch the ball but keep his arm out

Yep sure, not much time to make a decision. But an experienced player is drilled to avoid head contact.

It’s the second action that I believe Vlastuin was preparing for so he could tackle, but when he sees D’s arm flick up and out he tries to adjust. But his adjustment doesn’t then allow for D binging his arm back in.

A couple more obs:

Dangerfield steps forward and slightly right to reach across to punch the ball. He has to cut diagonally across the front of Vlastuin’s path. So it’s not so much as unavoidable but more that he instigated the collision by addressing the ball like this. If you’re going to do that, you just must keep your arm down...

His arm is very high. His punch was always risky to the safety of the incoming player, but in those brief seconds he elected to take that risk.
View attachment 11147
Shot 3 shows how high he leads with his elbow before punching.

The more I look at the vision in normal time, the more I think that his elbow and arm is just way too high for what he sees coming toward him.

I actually don’t think it was intentional for him to collect Vlastuin. To punch the ball clear is a fairly instinctive thing to want to gain advantage. But I do think the way it was carried out was clumsy and it resulted in a head injury. He misjudged how much time he had to get that punch in. I am surprised it didn’t even get cited.

Anyway, that’s more than enough from me on the subject!
I think you are right that he had made the decision to lead in with the elbow before going for the ball. It's the only way to explain the awkward way he punches it. As he made contact with the ball and could argue he had eyes on the ball I really don't think there is grounds for a suspension. It should've been looked at regardless considering the contact. It also shows how brave our Vlas is. He really did only have eyes for the ball.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I disagree. You can make that judgement in slow motion but at real speed there was literally nothing he could do.

We need to make allowance for the fact that in AFL football unavoidable contact occurs
I agreed with this position. In real time it all happens in a split-second. Dangerfield had virtually no time to react.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I agreed with this position. In real time it all happens in a split-second. Dangerfield had virtually no time to react.
but he did react, regardless of how much time he had. He lifted his elbow and got Vlastuin in the head and knocked him out. Given what he did, elbow to the head, and the effect, player knocked out, even giving him a lot of benefit of the doubt, its still 2 weeks minimum.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
To the Dangerfield apologists, ask yourself, honestly, what would have happened had the roles been reversed?
It would have been a free-kick, probably 50 using the excuse that Cotchin tackled Ablett in the aftermath, Vlastuin would have been reported and I doubt we'd have seen him again before about half way through next year.
The only bad thing would have been that with Dangerfield out for the match, they might have done a bit better. :)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
But he runs into the situation with his elbow up, punches the ball and then retracts his elbow. He could have punched the ball and let his arm continue on its way and it would have been his chest hitting Vlastuin's shoulder. For those who claim it was all too fast - how come it wasn't too fast for Dangerfield to punch and then alter the movement of his arm back towards himself? His arm is swinging left to right in relation to his body but he alters this movement such that his arm goes back right to left.

DS

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
Dangerfield punched the ball away with a backward arm movement. It would have been more natural for him to continue this movement through the ball and raise and open his arm (similar to when you wave to someone). Except what I mean by this is it was more natural for him after punching the ball the way he did, to then follow through and form an L shape (for protection of himself and Vlaustin), except that L shape has his elbow pointing to his right, not in front. In this way his open hand if needed would have been able to brace for contact so both himself and Nick don't get injured.

That was the natural movement that should have occurred from the weird way he punched the ball (almost backward slap), and this way would have caused no injury to both. However, after punching the ball, he chose to do the unnatural movement of then moving his arm the opposite way to which it was originally going to then adjust his elbow both horizontally and in front of his body.

It was a complete dogs act and once again highlights the absolute bias the commentators and media have on this game and against Richmond. They barely even mentioned this incident, they certainly never mentioned his constant flopping and playing for free kicks and didn't mention what a dud of a game this so called superstar had.

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To the Dangerfield apologists, ask yourself, honestly, what would have happened had the roles been reversed?
It would have been a free-kick, probably 50 using the excuse that Cotchin tackled Ablett in the aftermath, Vlastuin would have been reported and I doubt we'd have seen him again before about half way through next year.
The only bad thing would have been that with Dangerfield out for the match, they might have done a bit better. :)
I don’t see any Danger apologists. I am simply making a judgement on the incident based on what I saw. Even when it happened and I saw the first replay my feeling was unavoidable contact but I couldn’t work out why it wasn’t a free kick.
Let’s judge the incident rather than the person. Whether it was reportable or not has nothing to do with it being Dangerfield who did it.

Reactions: 1 user

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I don’t see any Danger apologists. I am simply making a judgement on the incident based on what I saw. Even when it happened and I saw the first replay my feeling was unavoidable contact but I couldn’t work out why it wasn’t a free kick.
Let’s judge the incident rather than the person. Whether it was reportable or not has nothing to do with it being Dangerfield who did it.
Dangerfield is a complete flog, and when I was waiting to see the replay for the first time, I was hoping like hell that he's going to get weeks for it. Saw the replay, he hit the ball, then collected Nick while is arm was still up. It's like tacking in soccer, if you get your foot to the ball first, then collect the oppo with your studs, there's no card. Really tough for Nick missing the whole game, but sh!t happens in a contact sport. Anyway, proved once again that when the heat is on in a big game, Danger goes missing. He's the anti-Dusty. Agree with Sin, why the hell wasn't there a free kick?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
After looking through the forums of other clubs supporters I can say that there is "ONE THING ", that Crows and Kochies fans both can agree on apart from hating everything to do with Victoria.

And that is...........................................The hate for Dangerflog!!!

Crows fans hatred I can get, but the Kochie's fans hate him as much if not even moreso.

Delicious.

He's done his rep and legacy some damage the past 2 seasons has Clanger.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I watched an interview pre-preliminary final with Dangerfield. Bearing in mind this was post his running goal in the Semi final.

A narrative had sprung up on his "steely resolve" to bring the flag home to sleepy hollow. The interviewer was basically talking Dangerfield up as an unstoppable force leading into the rest of the finals series, and wasn't Dangerr just loving it. Most players will down play this type of talk and deflect things back onto the 'team'! It was the first thing Dusty did when getting interviewed on the boundary straight after dominating the GF.

Not Danger, he was all in on this narrative.

Come Preliminary final, Danger was as fumbly as i've seen a player, far from dominating the Prelim.

Come the GF, he got two iffy free kicks near goal, managing to convert one. And that was about the extent of his game. Second half he gets moved to the centre square for very little effect. Almost as an exclamation mark to this whole subject, Dustin Martin picks the pocket of Stanley who is trying to give off to Danger. Danger lays a tackle on Martin who shrugs is hips, sending Danger flying off like an autumn leaf and slots a goal from a crazy angle.

Danger got a first hand example of what it takes to wear the tag of "The Unstoppable Force"

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'll bite. Whately, the Oracle, who retired at 8 but knows that flying elbows from Gaz and Fyfe are but glancing blows not worth wasting the MRO's time with? Who repeatedly mentions the "stain" on the character of Rance and Grimes while ignoring the ducking and diving culture of his own club? The mincing pontificator, the AFL mouthpiece? That bloke?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'll bite. Whately, the Oracle, who retired at 8 but knows that flying elbows from Gaz and Fyfe are but glancing blows not worth wasting the MRO's time with? Who repeatedly mentions the "stain" on the character of Rance and Grimes while ignoring the ducking and diving culture of his own club? The mincing pontificator, the AFL mouthpiece? That bloke?
Yeah, that's the one.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
x2, perfectly put.

I'd also add that Gerard Whateley, who anyone that listens to regularly will know is an absolute oracle on the MRP and tribunal operations, (He should be appointed as MRO next year and I'm deadly serious about that) said it was absolute line ball for being cited or not.

He also added “if he did’t make contact with the ball he was going to sit six weeks at the start of the new season”
I say that’s splitting hairs rather than it being line ball.

And that’s him commenting on the big name of the team he barracks for.

AND he giggled with glee at Punt Road being empty of fans the following day.... so stuff him!

(FWIW I think Yobbo thought he should have got weeks. )