Patrick Naish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Patrick Naish

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Perfect trade / draft would surely be.

FA - Reid and Rockliff
Draft 2 talls early and then take Naish with later picks. Get a project tall later, probably in the RD and if we still have a later pick in the ND I'd go with the best small / mid. Criteria on mids / smalls just has to be workrate and 2 way running, we will add polish with other players.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
If we have, say, picks 12, 15 and 30 and use 12 & 15 on the talls, and then some other side nominates Patrick before our pick 30, what is the mechanism for us to exercise our Father/Son rights to counter that?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
YinnarTiger said:
If we have, say, picks 12, 15 and 30 and use 12 & 15 on the talls, and then some other side nominates Patrick before our pick 30, what is the mechanism for us to exercise our Father/Son rights to counter that?
As far as I understand it we just have to match the points value of whatever's bid for Patrick less our 20% father son discount. Every pick in the draft now carries a point value. If some club nominates Patrick as as their early second round pick and that pick is worth 1000 points. We just need to match it with eight hundred points worth of value, that could possibly be one or both of our third round picks less whatever point value is leftover from our utilised picks which I believe then carries back to our next available pick and boosts it's points worth n moves it forward in the draft.

The suits at AFL house have a comp program all sorted out n set up to keep reworking the allocated points value as the draft progresses.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
talk about a rigged system. AFL can play the cards however they feel towards whoever they want to succeed.

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
TigerMasochist said:
As far as I understand it we just have to match the points value of whatever's bid for Patrick less our 20% father son discount. Every pick in the draft now carries a point value. If some club nominates Patrick as as their early second round pick and that pick is worth 1000 points. We just need to match it with eight hundred points worth of value, that could possibly be one or both of our third round picks less whatever point value is leftover from our utilised picks which I believe then carries back to our next available pick and boosts it's points worth n moves it forward in the draft.

The suits at AFL house have a comp program all sorted out n set up to keep reworking the allocated points value as the draft progresses.

I thought they changed that last year so that you had to use your next pick as part of points required.

If I remember correctly they changed it as a result of an outcry from Victorian clubs to stop GWS cashing in a truckload of late picks to make up the required points whilst preserving their early picks.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
TigerMasochist said:

Seeing as we have no 2nd round pick I believe this is correct. If we had a 2nd after the bidding club, we'd have to use that, maybe carry over points would the upgrade our 3rd a couple of spots

You can't use a heap of 3rd & 4ths to make up the pick bid value while still keeping your next pick in hand

Broders said:
I thought they changed that last year so that you had to use your next pick as part of points required.

If I remember correctly they changed it as a result of an outcry from Victorian clubs to stop GWS cashing in a truckload of late picks to make up the required points whilst preserving their early picks.

I think they changed so you could only use as many picks as you had vacant list positions.
Ie a club couldn't stockpile a heap of 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders to make up the points value for bidding.
In the past clubs with academies could trade a low 1st for a heap of say 3rd rounders. Other clubs were cashing in as well.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
If we've used our two first round picks before someone call Patrick, then all we've got is our next two third round picks to utilise, to make up enough points value to over ride the bid.
Not exactly sure how it works if one third rounder isn't worth enough points. Either we use the two third picks n have some points left over for somewhere else or our extra third rounder would be devalued n slide back in the draft.

Would be absolutely gob smacked if we weren't looking at five or six changes to our list end of this year. There's not a punter on here would struggle to nominate half a dozen vacancies at years end.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
TigerMasochist said:
If we've used our two first round picks before someone call Patrick, then all we've got is our next two third round picks to utilise, to make up enough points value to over ride the bid.
Not exactly sure how it works if one third rounder isn't worth enough points. Either we use the two third picks n have some points left over for somewhere else or our extra third rounder would be devalued n slide back in the draft.

Would be absolutely gob smacked if we weren't looking at five or six changes to our list end of this year. There's not a punter on here would struggle to nominate half a dozen vacancies at years end.

Ha i can rattle off a dozen without thinking.

Only the pollen high flower sniffers would think that half a dozen changes to this list is enough.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
craig said:
Ha i can rattle off a dozen without thinking.

Only the pollen high flower sniffers would think that half a dozen changes to this list is enough.
I was being moderate craig. Always knew there'd be certain punters that could double up without blinking.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
On twomeys podcast with Clarke , he didn't give an indication on his draft range, just that he had improved in the areas they wanted him too, said he was a real footy head and had Benefited from been the AIS squad ( think that was the squad )

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
TigerMasochist said:

OK

Say we finish 8th, Geelong finishes 5th and GWS 2nd We would have the following (ignoring the compensation picks which will happen and change all the following):

Our first round pick #11 worth 1329points
Geelong's first round # 14 worth 1161points
our 3rd round pick #47 worth 316 points
GWS 3rd round pick #53 worth 233points

So for Naish we would need clubs to wait until after pick 14 and then we would be looking to use the two round 3 picks. These two picks together add up to 549 and allowing for this to be 80% of a higher pick we have 686 points.

Pick #27 is 703 points
Pick # 28 is 677points

So if a club bids for Naish after pick #14 and before Pick #28 we would need to use both 3rd round picks plus our 4th round. If this is not enough then we go into deficit and have to make it up in 2018 which will affect the value of our first round pick (so need to consider trading it to get full value)

If a club bids for Naish after pick 28 we will have enough points in the two 3rd round picks. Any left over points would mean one of the 3rd round picks remain alive and will drop into the draft at the same level of the remaining picks.

Simples

We could try and trade both first round picks to say the team which finished 4th for their 1st and 3rd round picks say picks # 4 and #40. This would give us a gun player plus make sure we don't adversely affect 2018 draft values.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Simplest would be to trade a player out for an early third rounder to cover off the prospect of him being selected as high as 15. I reckon the Ellis boys are the only tradeable two who would get that.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
CC TIGER said:
Plough has him at 17
Yeah, saw that today. Begs the question as to why bother trying to invent a top twenty list of juniors when the interstate championships haven't even started?
All well and good watching the kids in the local TAC cup games, but how much emphasis at the moment is put on watching the interstate kids compared to the locals, plus of course the obvious prospect of big game performances during the TAC finals and the National championships.
Reckon it's just media waffle, noise for the sake of sounding knowledgeable trying to select a draft top twenty this far out.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
WHAT incentive has patrick naish to play real well when its far easier to get drafted by tigers if hes doesn,t shine as much, seeming hes a certainty to come to tiger land, i know i couldn,t personally play poorer on purpose, but it would serve a purpose to play down a little.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
jokershoppe said:
WHAT incentive has patrick naish to play real well when its far easier to get drafted by tigers if hes doesn,t shine as much, seeming hes a certainty to come to tiger land, i know i couldn,t personally play poorer on purpose, but it would serve a purpose to play down a little.
Doubt anyone would be very impressed with the lad if he was to tank n burn his team mates in the process. Tanking may be glossed over n tolerated in tennis, pretty sure there'd be some time spent sitting on the pine if his team mates n coaches thought he was doing the dirty on his club.