Patrick Naish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Patrick Naish

whilst we need him to be bid on after our 2nd pick, if he was to tank etc it may teach him bad habits that we don't want him to learn. plus it may also slow his improvement somewhat.

Brett Anderson on SEN today said at this stage Naish in the draft range of 15 to 25. Described him as an outside half back wing half forward with powerful kick and some speed? I question speed as I have only seen him play once last year in under 17 all star game at PR and did he did not look quick to me.
Also restated it is not a strong draft. My excitement at having two 1st round picks is waning as they won't be high enough to access the quality talls that we need. Feeling we may again trade away to bring in what we need?

caesar said:
Brett Anderson on SEN today said at this stage Naish in the draft range of 15 to 25. Described him as an outside half back wing half forward with powerful kick and some speed? I question speed as I have only seen him play once last year in under 17 all star game at PR and did he did not look quick to me.
Also restated it is not a strong draft. My excitement at having two 1st round picks is waning as they won't be high enough to access the quality talls that we need. Feeling we may again trade away to bring in what we need?

The draft is fine at the top end, the top 30 is strong. Our two first rounders can definitely get us the talls we need. And we get Paddy on the cheap and this could be the draft that we lay the foundations for the next generation on. We are well placed. Nothing to worry about. Hold the picks (maybe one for Shaq, gets us the tall we need anyway) and go the draft table. Sign the right free agents and we can be well placed for today and tomorrow.

SCOOP said:
The draft is fine at the top end, the top 30 is strong. Our two first rounders can definitely get us the talls we need. And we get Paddy on the cheap and this could the draft that we lay the foundations for the next generation on. We are well placed. Nothing to worry about. Hold the picks (maybe one for Shaq, gets us the tall we need anyway) and go the draft table. Sign the right free agents and we can be well placed for today and tomorrow.

Just need Paddy to stay outside the 1st round & we are laughing.

FWIW i'd avoid FA, we have a good core group that is very young, adding more youth to that is how i'd go. we not even seen graham play yet either. Schache is good age group for us to be getting him considering our youth policy under our new recruiter.

SCOOP said:
The draft is fine at the top end, the top 30 is strong. Our two first rounders can definitely get us the talls we need. And we get Paddy on the cheap and this could the draft that we lay the foundations for the next generation on. We are well placed. Nothing to worry about. Hold the picks (maybe one for Shaq, gets us the tall we need anyway) and go the draft table. Sign the right free agents and we can be well placed for today and tomorrow.
Good to know Scoop, as long as top 20 are strong we are in a good position.

SCOOP said:

That sounds like a good strategy.

We will need a couple of short term FAs to give us some depth with talls.

Yer, all good but please not Swans Reid or Tippett. Both a bust. Over-rated, over-paid, seriously under-performing.

leon said:
Yer, all good but please not Swans Reid or Tippett. Both a bust. Over-rated, over-paid, seriously under-performing.
thier #'s are ave at best, let Reid go to Pies alongside his brother.

on topic - hope Naish is bid for after 1st round, we are laughing if that's the case

Northern knights play in Wangaratta on the 26th of august will be going with my brother who is an avid watcher of junior football. I will put in as detailed report for everyone as I can

chaz said:
Northern knights play in Wangaratta on the 26th of august will be going with my brother who is an avid watcher of junior football. I will put in as detailed report for everyone as I can

good stuff,looking forward to it.

leon said:

Sam Reid has kicked 17.5 this year, he's exactly what we need.

bullus_hit said:
Sam Reid has kicked 17.5 this year, he's exactly what we need.

Casbaults kicked 18.6 too and I would think would come a lot cheaper.

Which one would you put as Target No. 1? Reid or Casbault?

mrposhman said:
Casbaults kicked 18.6 too and I would think would come a lot cheaper.

Which one would you put as Target No. 1? Reid or Casbault?

Prefer Reid, despite the injury worries.

Tigers of Old said:
I also prefer Reid to Casboult.

I'd prefer neither actually but it's a pressing need. Crazy situation we find ourselves in.

Yeah, even if we get one and they fail, the club is being proactive in solving pressing needs.

But I also have more faith in B graders to look better with players like Naish kicking it to him. This year is a classic example of how having a quality father son up your sleeve gives you so much more direction and ability to focus your list management on key areas. We have two picks in the first round, we have to take at least one tall but with Naish in the background waiting to be had, we can go tall again if that's the best talent on the board. It's a huge advantage for the academy clubs to have this clarity and direction every year.

Excellent point, SCOOP. It's not just getting a player at a discount, it's knowing you have him prior to making earlier picks.

SCOOP said:
Yeah, even if we get one and they fail, the club is being proactive in solving pressing needs.

But I also have more faith in B graders to look better with players like Naish kicking it to him. This year is a classic example of how having a quality father son up your sleeve gives you so much more direction and ability to focus your list management on key areas. We have two picks in the first round, we have to take at least one tall but with Naish in the background waiting to be had, we can go tall again if that's the best talent on the board. It's a huge advantage for the academy clubs to have this clarity and direction every year.

this is exactly what i have been saying to all friends and family, its a hugly unfair advantage,knowing whats coming 12 months before.