Phantom Draft 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 2016

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Cheers Bully, but you missed Ben Ronke for the Blues at pick 66. Does that bump me up to an A or down to a B+? ;D

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
Cheers Bully, but you missed Ben Ronke for the Blues at pick 66. Does that bump me up to an A or down to a B+? ;D

I'll leave it at an A-, Ronke missed the cut for Vic Metro so he's lacking a bit of exposure however some decent form in the VFL balances the ledger somewhat. As an over-ager I'd be tipping he'd be more a rookie pick. Personally I would have plumped for Bunker here, especially in light of his Champion Data ranking.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Enjoying the read on your assesments of the clubs recruiting mate, Cant wait to see ho i went with the Deee's & Gold Coast

Thanks for the effort mate , i know it takes alot of time

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
turk-d-tiger said:
Enjoying the read on your assesments of the clubs recruiting mate, Cant wait to see ho i went with the Deee's & Gold Coast

Thanks for the effort mate , i know it takes alot of time

Yes, thanks Bully.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Collingwood - Luke Ryan (31), Callum Brown (45), Josh Daicos (47), Sam Walker (59), Tony Olango (60), Kym Lebois (64)

Nathan Buckley is edging closer to football oblivion, the same could be said for Eddie Stay Puft whose reputation for poor management is getting grubbier by the minute. Their off season recruitment is one last attempt to get their house in order before the axe falls, whether the Dad's Army approach is enough is up for debate however this draft has been aimed at providing some instant gratification whilst keeping one eye firmly on the future. Luke Ryan should be good to go in 2017 and is a more than adequate replacement for the recently departed Marley Williams. Ryan's kicking is elite and he continues the long tradition of Fothergill-Round medalists transitioning to the AFL. Brown & Daicos are still a work in progress but they are clearly the future and will be given plenty of opportunities. Brown really impressed me in the All-Stars match and he's exactly what is required to ensure generational change in the centre square. Daicos is silky and despite not having a huge statistical influence on matches, should find a niche as a small forward, at least in the first few years at the top level. Those at Collingwood will be hoping his skills are enough to join Brown in the midfield, I think there's enough to suggest that an onball role is possible down the track.

The next three picks are all about the future and whilst it's unlikely they'll see much action in 2017, all three possess some exciting traits. Sam Walker is a bargain at 59 and is arguably the best kick in the draft. In Tony Olango they have recruited a fast and agile ruckman who dominated Max Lynch & Esava Ratugolea in the All-Stars game and with Kym Lebois they have recruited an electrifying small forward who can also pinch hit in the middle, his style not dissimilar to his cousin Alwyn Davey.

Overall Grade - subject to peer review

Essendon - Andrew McGrath (1), Daniel Venables (22), Josh Begley (32), Matt Guelfi (46), Xavier Richards (69)

The big question will always be the choice made at number 1, it will be debated for the next decade and will most likely be a fluid debate depending on how the wind blows. For my money both will be quality contributors and both will go onto have very distinguished careers. At pick 22 Daniel Venables represents a risk worth taking, prior to his injury I had him as a clear top 10 pick, not necessarily for what he produced en masse, but more for what he could produce if he develops some consistency to his game. His game has shades of Mark Riccutio and this will be the aim as he looks to build his tank and core body strength. There's every chance we look back in a few years and wonder how on earth he dropped so far down the order. At 32 the Bombers have recruited a similar type in Josh Begley who is looming as this this year's bolter. The most pleasing aspect of Begley's performance has been his athletic testing at the combine, coming from suburban football to TAC he was overweight and lacked a solid preseason, however the improvement in his fitness levels indicates a player who is ready to do the hard yards. I'm tipping Begley will eventually have stints in the midfield with the template being another version of Jake Stringer.

Matt Guelfi is a very solid pick at this point in the draft, the facet of his game that appeals so much is that he's a long penetrating kick and looks to use this skill at every opportunity. Despite being an overage draftee I think he's a certainty to be drafted in the main pool and should be ready to roll in 2017. Xavier Richards is more a depth player but in a draft which is lean for talls, he represents a cheap insurance policy in the event that some of the bigger names go down with injury. Having recently played in a grand final, there's no doubting he can be called upon at short notice.

Overall Grade - A

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Fremantle - Sam Petrevski-Seton (7), Myles Poholke (41), Joseph Atley (44), Luke Bunker (73), Tyler Keitel (79)

Freo have gone very mid heavy in this draft which is playing to it's strengths, every pick with the exception of Keitel has come at the lower end of expectations so from that perspective I think it's a very good haul. Sam Petrevski-Seton is a gun and a clear top 5 prospect in my opnion, possibly even top 3 depending on list needs. Poholke has bounced back from the disappointment of being cut from the AIS and performed exceptionally well at state level and in the All-Stars game, his athletic profile is also notable and should be able to play seniors as early as next year. Atley is a well-rounded footballer who could quite easily play on the flanks if midfield positions are limited, this facet of his game has already been tested at VFL level where he acquitted himself exceedingly well. The fact he also wins the majority of his possessions in contested situations is worthy of recognition, particularly given his DE & KE are well above average. Bunker was very stiff to miss out on a combine invitation but has done everything humanly possible to get drafted by an AFL club. Champion Data concurs with these sentiments and have placed him at 13th in their power rankings. Keitel is probably more a rookie pick but this is just hair splitting, he still represents the best KP defensive option playing in the state leagues. Overall I struggle to fault this batch, I would have perhaps opted for Peter Ladhams in a developing ruck role but given he's still on the board this can be addressed in the rookie draft.

Overall Grade : A

Geelong - Alex Witherden (27), Jordan Ridley (43), Issac Cumming (48), Elliott Himmelberg (62), Ed Phillips (74), Josh Williams (75)

By my reckoning most of these players will go higher in the draft than these numbers suggest. Witherden is an AIS player who had the misfortune of breaking his leg early in the season, his form last year suggested a potential top ten candidate so it seems a reasonable punt to snare him at pick 27. Ridley could go in the twenties although from my perspective this is his range, when I compare him to Riley Bonner who landed at pick 37, I feel his lack of contested ball winning ability should push him down the order. Whether this occurs on draft night remains to be seen. Cumming is a nice pick here, as is Himmelberg, there's definitely been a strong focus on athleticism and solid foot skills. Phillips I see as more of a rookie pick but the field really evens out at this point so hard to be overly critical. Josh Williams is another player with significant upside, his speed has the potential to be a real weapon at AFL level.

Overall Grade : A-

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Gold Coast - Will Brodie (4), Jack Bowes (5), Jack Srimshaw (9), Todd Marshall (12), Brad Scheer (21)

The Gold Coast hold all the aces in this draft so I'm going to be extra scrutinsing of each selection, particularly in light of their recent defections and the fact that Gary Ablett has also considered full scale mutiny. Their trading was outstanding so now the focus rests heavily with Clayton and the next four picks, this will be career defining in my opinion.

Will Brodie at pick 4 isn't what I would have done but I can understand the logic. GC have lost their best clearance player in Prestia and need to fill that void as soon as possible, the only issue I see with this strategy is that Brodie is a flight risk. I know that's at odds with all the claims he's a consummate professional but the reality is he's been sending out various signals that he would prefer to stay in Victoria. Don't be surprised if Brodie slides out of the top ten next week.

Jack Bowes is obviously a great pick and will justify his positioning, Scrimshaw I like but have slight queries about his athletic qualities to play in the midfield, it then becomes a question of nailing down a defensive post alongside Kolodjashnij. In saying that he's got a nice skill set to work with. As for Todd Marshall, not for me unfortunately. He has been incredibly underwhelming and despite the fact he's had some niggles in the latter half of the year I just couldn't bring myself to pick him based purely on upside. When I weigh up the competitive instincts of Griffen Logue and stack that up against Marshall's efforts, I see chalk and cheese. The balance of GC's team would also have been improved with the addition of a key defender. Lynch, Wright & Day seem to have their forward bases covered and they could have done with some support down back. On a brighter note, Scheer is a great addition and will go some way to covering for the loss of Prestia & O'Meara.

Overall Grade : B

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
GWS - Hugh McCluggage (2), Will Setterfield (8), Harry Perryman (11), Harrison Macreadie (24), Kobe Mutch (38), Zach Sproule (39)

With the exception of McCluggage all these picks are academy selections so nothing groundbreaking to report. Given how the system has favoured GWS it's not surprising that they've manufactured 6 top 40 picks and will probably do so even with the Whitfield sanctions. From the group above Mutch is the player who I feel will be left to the open market, a bid in the thirties seems about right given he struggles on the pace front. Macreadie will likely go in the second round and Sproule will probably be a late second round to early third round pick. Perryman I feel is overrated at tad, he's slow and as a flanker I think will struggle to keep up with the pacy forwards. In the real deal I wouldn't bid until the late twenties, but I suspect he goes much higher based on a solid state carnival. Setterfield is the real jewel in the crown, for most clubs just having Hugh & Will would make for a successful draft.

Overall Grade : A

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Hawthorn - Quinton Narkle (88), Sean Darcy (90)

Hard to rate a team with so little to work with but Narkle features in my top 60 so at least there's something to work with. With Hill off to Freo and Hartung & O'Rourke yet to firmly assert themselves at AFL level, I think he'll be given some decent opportunities to stake his claim. As for Darcy, not my number one option for a developing ruck due to his lack of mobility and aerobic capacity. Athletically he's very similar to Pittonet so it would be a case of more of the same I feel. For a bit of variety and flexibility I think I would have taken Ladhams who can play forward when need be. In saying that, predicting where the rucks will fall this year is a bit of a raffle and Darcy could easily be picked in the ND if a club feels they can develop a Mumford style player.

Overall Grade : C+

Melbourne - Jack Maibaum (51), Patrick Lipinski (70), Hamish Brayshaw (84)

Melbourne don't have much to play with this year so it's clearly a case of making every pick count. Jack Maibaum earned AA honours at state level and proved himself to be one of the best negators in the business. With players like Talia & Lever proving that a no-frills approach still has a place at the top level, I'm giving this selection a tick, especially given Melbourne have offloaded Dunn and could do with some support staff to help out McDonald. Patrick Lipinski is another who could turn out to be an inspired choice, his form at the back end of the season indicated some ability to play in the midfield and his athletic profile seems to be a suitable fit for a club hunting for the next St Oleg. Brayshaw is another who I like and the fact he played with a broken foot in the TAC grand final just adds to his appeal. I've heard people single him out for his lack of work rate but they seem to overlook the fact he was playing in constant pain. Brayshaw is also a leader and there's no doubt he's acutely aware of the long road ahead, especially given his more talented brother hasn't quite lived up to his lofty draft position.

Overall Grade - B+

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
North Melbourne - Josh Battle (35), Jonty Scharenberg (36), Harry Morrison (87)

This is a hard one to judge as both players have some major concerns when it comes to athleticism. Battle is an awkward height with a poor leap, his speed is also average so I'm strugling to envisage just what type of player he'll be. His record at state level was impressive and his three goal average in the TAC was near the top of the class, however I keep thinking back to Darcy Hourigan from a few years back, a player who simply couldn't take his game to the next level. Where Battle has an edge is with his aerobic capacity so he's not without hope, but looking for similar types who have made it isn't so easy. Perhaps Darling is the ceiling, that would be a good outcome all things considered.

I was a huge wrap for Jonty mid season, he was a warhorse at senior level, he rarely played a bad game and seemed to rise to every challenge, I even had him entrenched in the first round soon after the state carnival. Then the combine results filtered through and it occurred to me that Jonty simply doesn't have an elite tank to match it with the best in the business. Now this shouldn't be a complete deal breaker, Rhys Mathieson recorded similar numbers and he's made the leap in pretty impressive fashion, however one also has to ask whether Scharenberg has the same beast mode mentality. Personally, I'm not so sure, I think he'll probably eke out a 100 game career but I can't see him being the next diamond in the rough.

Harry Morrison is a speculative pick but a decent one at this point, there's a slight concern about his speed but his kicking is an asset and could find his niche in a similar manner to Jake Batchelor. He probably won't be a superstar but they rarely are at this point in the draft.

Overall Grade : B-

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Great write up mate, We really do enjoy and appreciate the work and effort required

you are an asset

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Essendon - Andrew McGrath (1), Daniel Venables (22), Josh Begley (32), Matt Guelfi (46), Xavier Richards (69)

The big question will always be the choice made at number 1, it will be debated for the next decade and will most likely be a fluid debate depending on how the wind blows. For my money both will be quality contributors and both will go onto have very distinguished careers. At pick 22 Daniel Venables represents a risk worth taking, prior to his injury I had him as a clear top 10 pick, not necessarily for what he produced en masse, but more for what he could produce if he develops some consistency to his game. His game has shades of Mark Riccutio and this will be the aim as he looks to build his tank and core body strength. There's every chance we look back in a few years and wonder how on earth he dropped so far down the order. At 32 the Bombers have recruited a similar type in Josh Begley who is looming as this this year's bolter. The most pleasing aspect of Begley's performance has been his athletic testing at the combine, coming from suburban football to TAC he was overweight and lacked a solid preseason, however the improvement in his fitness levels indicates a player who is ready to do the hard yards. I'm tipping Begley will eventually have stints in the midfield with the template being another version of Jake Stringer.

Matt Guelfi is a very solid pick at this point in the draft, the facet of his game that appeals so much is that he's a long penetrating kick and looks to use this skill at every opportunity. Despite being an overage draftee I think he's a certainty to be drafted in the main pool and should be ready to roll in 2017. Xavier Richards is more a depth player but in a draft which is lean for talls, he represents a cheap insurance policy in the event that some of the bigger names go down with injury. Having recently played in a grand final, there's no doubting he can be called upon at short notice.

Overall Grade - A

It's funny. This mock, all I tried to do was pick guys who I thought could play the Bulldogs style of footy in 2017. And I was pretty happy.

The key criteria being, competitive, win there own footy, tackles and be a part of a play anywhere, play on brand of football.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Port Adelaide - Tim English (16), Jy Simpkin (18), Dylan Clarke (33), Alex Villis (34), Michael Gibbons (85)

Tim English at 16 is a very good pick, his game in the All-Stars match may have put some people off but prior to that he was working into some very impressive form in the WAFL seniors. English is one of the best, if not the best kick in the pool, his KE is elite and his disposal numbers are high enough to ensure he impacts games. Overhead he's still a work in progress but this should improve once he puts on some bulk. Weighing in at 90kg he's only 10kg off optimal weight so I'm confident that in a few years he'll be physically imposing himself on the field.

I'm a big wrap for Simpkin, at least I was last year. As to whether his broken leg has set him back is anyone's guess, I think the people in the know are the medicos who have prodded and poked him at the combine. At 18 I think there's value to be had, it's probably the highest I would pick him based on my own rankings, although in the PRE draft there's some others who have slipped down the order. Just as an observation, the injured first round prospects in Simpkin & Witherden seem to have protected their first round status whilst the 2015 All-Australian players Allison & Parfitt have been savaged based on a few indifferent performances. It's almost as though too much football can start to become a hindrance rather than a benefit.

As for Clarke, I'm not a huge wrap for him based on some ordinary kicking, poor agility and average speed. He reminds me a lot of Matt Thomas and I wouldn't be surprised if he tracked in a similar manner. He'll be serviceable, will probably go onto to play several seasons of AFL football but will be replaced once a team starts challenging for the silverware. There are always exceptions, Brett Kirk being the most notable, but this is becoming more & more uncommon these days.

Villis is a wasted pick and may not even find a home due to a heart defect. As Jayden Pitt found in 2013, there's more important things to life than football and I hope Alex realises that an AFL career isn't the be-all, end-all. As for Gibbons, his kicking is a bit of a worry and it will be touch and go as to whether he gets drafted. I certainly like picking state league guys at this point in the draft however at 175cm and with disposal issues Gibbons probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Overall Grade : B

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Richmond - Patrick Kerr (30), Ryan Garthwaite (57), Jeremy Goddard (82)

Now for the Tiges, this has been an interesting exercise in so much as my shortlist of viable candidates whittled away with every pick between 20 & 29. For the record, I've reduced the shortlist down to four players, Brennan Cox, Parfitt, Rotham & Drew. I haven't quite decided on the order but will finalise that closer to the draft. For the PRE draft none of these players made it to pick 30 so the question beckons, am I happy with Kerr at 30? The answer to that is erring on the side of no. Despite the fact I have rated Kerr at 31 in my rankings Richmond has 2 first round selections next year so I'm inclined to hold off for something bigger & better. Kerr hasn't exactly set the world alight apart from a purple patch at the carnival when he kicked 4 goals in rapid fire time. His form line is actually very reminiscent of a guy by the name of Cleve Hughes and this has me slightly concerned, in fact I could reel off numerous high ranking forwards who have struggled to make the grade at AFL level - Kersten, Black, Notte, Grant, Lee & Dowler, just to name a few. So who would I pick given all my other fancies are off the board? Probably Begley who is a player with significant untapped potential. The fact he can play as a forward is a bonus, but in the end I see him spending a fair bit of time in the centre square. As for Garthwaite, he's awkward but generally effective, at 57 he's not a bad selection but the two handed ball drop would need some immediate attention. Goddard is a solid selection, he's athletic and slowly improved his work around the ground as the season progressed. Given I'm not sold on Soldo another project ruck seems a wise course of action.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Richmond - Patrick Kerr (30), Ryan Garthwaite (57), Jeremy Goddard (82)

Now for the Tiges, this has been an interesting exercise in so much as my shortlist of viable candidates whittled away with every pick between 20 & 29. For the record, I've reduced the shortlist down to four players, Brennan Cox, Parfitt, Rotham & Drew. I haven't quite decided on the order but will finalise that closer to the draft. For the PRE draft none of these players made it to pick 30 so the question beckons, am I happy with Kerr at 30? The answer to that is erring on the side of no. Despite the fact I have rated Kerr at 31 in my rankings Richmond has 2 first round selections next year so I'm inclined to hold off for something bigger & better. Kerr hasn't exactly set the world alight apart from a purple patch at the carnival when he kicked 4 goals in rapid fire time. His form line is actually very reminiscent of a guy by the name of Cleve Hughes and this has me slightly concerned, in fact I could reel off numerous high ranking forwards who have struggled to make the grade at AFL level - Kersten, Black, Notte, Grant, Lee & Dowler, just to name a few. So who would I pick given all my other fancies are off the board? Probably Begley who is a player with significant untapped potential. The fact he can play as a forward is a bonus, but in the end I see him spending a fair bit of time in the centre square. As for Garthwaite, he's awkward but generally effective, at 57 he's not a bad selection but the two handed ball drop would need some immediate attention. Goddard is a solid selection, he's athletic and slowly improved his work around the ground as the season progressed. Given I'm not sold on Soldo another project ruck seems a wise course of action.

Woo hoo! A B-, I'll take it!

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Apologies to Port Adelaide as I somehow overlooked the English selection, I've re-rated that haul from a C to a B. Extra comments have been added.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
St Kilda - Willem Drew (26), Jack Graham (42), Jye Bolton (58)

The odds of all three players making the grade are high in my opinion. Drew hasn't been tested at the higher levels to any great degree, he's been stuck in the back line where he's performed well but hasn't been as eye-catching as some of the other players ranked above him. In the TAC it's been a vastly different story, he's been a clearance machine and his contested ball winning ability has been second to none. The fact he's also strong overhead, adept at ground level and has a very impressive tank makes him a very attractive option. The big knock on Drew is his speed but this doesn't seem to affect him to any great degree, particularly when given some room to move. His kicking technique is good but he does have a tendency to blaze away, hopefully this can be eradicated in due course.

Jack Graham is the reigning Larke medalist and it's amazing to think he could slide down the order to such an extent. His kicking can appear ragged at times but I've gone over the stats and his KE isn't too bad all things considered. Where he does excel is tight in the clinches and his work rate is outstanding. Given we've just seen Dunkley earn a premiership medallion there's nothing to suggest Graham can't contribute to a team pressing for a finals berth.

Jye Bolton has had a monumental season, he's won a Sandover, he's dominated at state level and he's refined his outside game to such an extent that he could slot into any midfield in the competition with the possible exception of GWS. As far as running out games, there will be no issues whatsoever, even at Collingwood he was renowned as one of the best gut runners at the club. One of the questions some will be asking is why did Colingwood let him go in the first place? Well I certainly don't think it was based purely on talent, Hine picked him from virtual obscurity and even by Jye's own reckoning, he wasn't fully prepared for the demands of professional football. Then there's the Buckley factor, clearly some struggle to deal with such an authoritarian rule.

Scanning over St Kilda's list it would appear that they do require significant midfield depth. In saying that, they have recruited Koby Steven & Jack Steele in the off-season so if I'm to be hyper critical, I think it would have been preferable to mix it up with one or perhaps two outside runners. Jordan Ridley at 42 and/or Sam Walker at 58 would have added some much needed balance to the squad and would have been suitable replacements for Sam Fisher & an ageing Leigh Montagna. In the real deal I think Bolton is a good chance to slide out to St Kilda's fourth pick so realistically it's only Graham who presents as the sacrificial lamb.