Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Time for JG to put his big boy pants on and stand up and lead. He's 24 and in his 7th season as an AFL player.

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Time for JG to put his big boy pants on and stand up and lead. He's 24 and in his 7th season as an AFL player.
he's a weird one is fridge, kind of just does enough..
yr right TT, he needs to take that next step, because it's in him

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Not sure offloading one of only 3-4 players we have in the prime 23-27 age bracket is a good list management decision. Moves like that are significant reasons why some clubs wallow in mediocrity for decades.

We need more players in that age bracket to come in and do the heavy lifting while we develop our prized draft picks. Otherwise, we expose the youth too soon and risk ruining them.

Reactions: 8 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Season 2022 Totals/Averages​
GMKHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AF *SC *
Total55042921511019066622148349325
Average510.08.418.43.00.20.203.801.21.21.24.42.81.669.865.0

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Those numbers show he should be dropped. 18 disposals and only 1 goal from a full time mid are disappointing.

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Those numbers show he should be dropped. 18 disposals and only 1 goal from a full time mid are disappointing.
Never understood the reason Graham was considered a senior team lock on here. He is a liability at stoppages, slow on the chase and has no lateral movement so often runs himself into trouble when he does get the pill.

Outside of the 2017 GF he has played a handful of good games often in very wet conditions. The fact he was a captain candidate indicates how far we have fallen.

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
If he's struggling to get the ball, then maybe use him as we did initially and play him as a tagger. Especially against the Dees mids.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He hasn't seemed to have progressed since 2017. He has the talent but at times not the will to use it effectively. Can work all day when he wants to but prone to a lazy spell when the game passes him by. A mindset problem?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Never understood the reason Graham was considered a senior team lock on here. He is a liability at stoppages, slow on the chase and has no lateral movement so often runs himself into trouble when he does get the pill.

Outside of the 2017 GF he has played a handful of good games often in very wet conditions. The fact he was a captain candidate indicates how far we have fallen.
Was he a captain candidate? I know a few here thought he would make good captain material but the club overlooked a 24yo for a 27yo and a 30yo which tends to indicate to me that they're thinking elsewhere in the future.

Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
IMHO Graham isn’t an automatic selection atm
A captain should be in the top 10 players in a team I don’t believe he’d be one of the first 10 picked

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Was he a captain candidate? I know a few here thought he would make good captain material but the club overlooked a 24yo for a 27yo and a 30yo which tends to indicate to me that they're thinking elsewhere in the future.
True - its hard to know exactly what the internal decision makers were thinking on the captain but the media certainly pushed him forward and some of them would have been reasonably well informed. Caro had him as the favorite to land it and I reckon she has a direct line to the Chief. She is pushing him hard for the CEO role which means they talk and probably regularly.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
IMHO Graham isn’t an automatic selection atm
A captain should be in the top 10 players in a team I don’t believe he’d be one of the first 10 picked
If he wasn't automatic, he wouldn't have come into the side underdone as an emergency. Stack, RCD and Dow would have come back via the ressies for example. Graham didn't.
We've partly been carrying him this season whilst he builds fitness back. That indicates how highly respected he is.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
If he wasn't automatic, he wouldn't have come into the side underdone as an emergency. Stack, RCD and Dow would have come back via the ressies for example. Graham didn't.
We've partly been carrying him this season whilst he builds fitness back. That indicates how highly respected he is.
Could have regained fitness and touch in the magoos.
He may be respected but hasn’t delivered.
Players need to earn their spot when coming from so far back. They did it with Lambert but not with Prestia because he had put a power of work in preseason. Whatever the reason, he’s been disappointing and contributing to our patchy form.
Probably speaks more about the depth of our squad rather than internal respect.

Last edited:

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Could have regained fitness and touch in the magoos. He may be respected but hasn’t delivered. Players need to earn their spot when coming from so far back. They did it with Lambert but not with Prestia because he had put a power of work in preseason. Whatever the reason, he’s been disappointing and contributing to our patchy form. Probably speaks more about the depth of our squad rather than internal respect.
You've missed the point though DA. The post I'd quoted said Graham isn't an automatic selection. I think as far as our club is concerned, he clearly is or at least he appears to be treated like one.

Whether he's performed or not, that's a different story. I think the injury Lambert has had vs Prestia is why they've been treated differently. However, if Lambert had a much more minor injury, he'd have come straight into the 22 as well.

Lastly, I think what we perceive as "delivering" vs what the club knows is delivering, are two different things. We don't know what Graham's being asked to do each week. I think the forums are showing a level of frustration overall of the Tigers performance after a bit of a golden era. As a result, everyone is being expected to do something that they've not done before in the forums eyes, and if they don't - the losing performance is x players fault. Graham was taken as a "late" pick - he was one game away from being a 3 time premiership player. But he's a role player, he's not Cotchin, nor Martin. Think we need to look elsewhere if we want one of those types.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You've missed the point though DA. The post I'd quoted said Graham isn't an automatic selection. I think as far as our club is concerned, he clearly is or at least he appears to be treated like one.

Whether he's performed or not, that's a different story. I think the injury Lambert has had vs Prestia is why they've been treated differently. However, if Lambert had a much more minor injury, he'd have come straight into the 22 as well.

Lastly, I think what we perceive as "delivering" vs what the club knows is delivering, are two different things. We don't know what Graham's being asked to do each week. I think the forums are showing a level of frustration overall of the Tigers performance after a bit of a golden era. As a result, everyone is being expected to do something that they've not done before in the forums eyes, and if they don't - the losing performance is x players fault. Graham was taken as a "late" pick - he was one game away from being a 3 time premiership player. But he's a role player, he's not Cotchin, nor Martin. Think we need to look elsewhere if we want one of those types.
Agree on evidence he’s an automatic selection as far as the club is concerned.
I’m suggesting he shouldn’t be. He’s horribly out of form. Can’t get near it.
Im arguing that all long term injured players should be run through the twos. But think we are too thin in our list to afford us the luxury of bringing in ready made replacements.