Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Kylie Minogue deserves to play before Ben Miller, on yesterdays showing.

she could wear the little red dress and do the locomotion,

and have more impact
I reckon she'd get a few hard ball gets too.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Kylie Minogue deserves to play before Ben Miller, on yesterdays showing.

she could wear the little red dress and do the locomotion,

and have more impact
In her hey day yes
now it’s a pass

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Ben reminds me of Dermie Brereton and his comment on Gumpus Graham ages ago:

"Angus looks like Tarzan, but unfortunately, plays like Jane!"

Ben just doesn't appear to have the appetite for the contest.
He should be using his body more, hurting the oppo more, legally.

198 cms, 96kg, Use it.

Maybe I am wrong and he will be a late bloomer.

198 cms, 96kg, Use it.

Imagine how good hes going to be when he joins the over 55s league

I’m adamant the problem here is not Miller failing to reach the required level, most players don’t. The issue is we’ve invested six years into his development (and contracted him for at least one more) when it was obvious after four that he wasn’t cutting it and should have been moved on.

We need to get much more aggressive with our list churn. Good players, regardless of where they are drafted will, barring injury, improve quickly in a professional environment, play early and play often. There are of course exceptions but they are just that, exceptions.

Play the percentages and turn the list over more quickly.

Needs to go back to the VFL and make a key back post for himself. The only AFL role he could potentially do is be a stopper. Astburys position. Astbury wasn't a rough aggressor but he did plenty to keep involved in the contest.

Thst what Miller should be aspiring to. I think he's been thrown into the ruck as we haven't had much else, but now with Soldo back, Ryan looking very encouraging and Nank back soon enough, then he needs to go back to the only role he could potentially be a good player in and thats as that stopper at the back. Truck should be able to help him with the rest.
Good constructive comment - given how long he’s been with us and the fact that he’s contracted til end of 24 we need to accept he has limitations and ain’t ever gonna be an aggressive big man. But he is a big unit, has shown he can take a mark and read the play. An Astbury type would be more than handy- he might even be a bit taller than Astbury. I remember when we used to bag Astbury early days - so Miller might eventually come good.

I’m adamant the problem here is not Miller failing to reach the required level, most players don’t. The issue is we’ve invested six years into his development (and contracted him for at least one more) when it was obvious after four that he wasn’t cutting it and should have been moved on.

We need to get much more aggressive with our list churn. Good players, regardless of where they are drafted will, barring injury, improve quickly in a professional environment, play early and play often. There are of course exceptions but they are just that, exceptions.

Play the percentages and turn the list over more quickly.

He played some serviceable games in defence towards the end of 2021 and in 2022. I just think he needs to be settled there as isn't aggressive enough to play ruck and doesn't appear to have the nous to play forward.

He has some good attributes like being a good field kick and he appeared to contest the the ball reasonably well as a defender.

Unfortunately that still may not be enough to make it but I don't blame the club for keeping him on the list for a bit longer. As our year has turned out, if we didn't have him we'd probably have Samson rucking and no one else - Balta maybe, but I'd prefer he stayed in defence too.

Reactions: 2 users
Ben was never going to be a star, at best a serviceable 100 gamer playing as the third tall down back. Unfortunately he's been thrown all around the park and when in defence a structure that has been without Tarrant, Broad, Gibcus and with a fading Grimes and Vlaustin. If we were playing well and had less injuries Ben would be able to blend in and be serviceable. Doesn't look like that's the way it's Gunna pan out though. Trade wise I think we,re stuck with him til the end of next year as he'd only fetch a late 3rd or a fringie from the Dockers or WCE.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Good constructive comment - given how long he’s been with us and the fact that he’s contracted til end of 24 we need to accept he has limitations and ain’t ever gonna be an aggressive big man. But he is a big unit, has shown he can take a mark and read the play. An Astbury type would be more than handy- he might even be a bit taller than Astbury. I remember when we used to bag Astbury early days - so Miller might eventually come good.
Miller is slightly taller than DTLD, but Dave had some real mongrel about him at times. I still have fond memories of the day that grub Toby Green took a cheap shot at Rance and Dave grabbed him by the throat and told Green he’d break him in half if he tried anything like that again. He had Green *smile* scared of him.

Reactions: 3 users
Ben has been a big disappointment to me this year. He looked like he could be a handy player with a few decent games at the end of last year but had given little this season.
I agree with others, let him play key back in the vfl and if he doesn’t make it there I don’t think he is going to.

Reactions: 1 users

198 cms, 96kg, Use it.

I have been hoping to see some life in Ben as he has all the attributes to be a fine footballer, all except aggression and confidence which equates to heart for the game. Late last season he started to shine but has since seriously regressed so even I have serious doubts he will ever make it

Ben was never going to be a star, at best a serviceable 100 gamer playing as the third tall down back. Unfortunately he's been thrown all around the park and when in defence a structure that has been without Tarrant, Broad, Gibcus and with a fading Grimes and Vlaustin. If we were playing well and had less injuries Ben would be able to blend in and be serviceable. Doesn't look like that's the way it's Gunna pan out though. Trade wise I think we,re stuck with him til the end of next year as he'd only fetch a late 3rd or a fringie from the Dockers or WCE.
Yep being a cog in a functional system in the backline suits Miller. He's not a ruckman who can create play and mess with midfielders, despite his size.

Oh boy Ben has been coping it on here . The thing is Ben is a Backman needs to settle back there .. Feel for him as he has been thrown in the deep end with all the injuries ,he is just not a no1 Ruckman .

Thought after he kicked the goal he was more confident and aggressive
Hopefully it flows through into next week