Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Only played 17 games. Thrown up forward, down back and into the ruck. He hasn’t had the “luxury” of settling in to one position. The onus is on him and to an extent the coaching staff.

I thought he had a good game today. Hopefully he takes some confidence from today’s game. Proved to be an asset to the team structure.

Reactions: 8 users
Played his role today, and got better as the game went on. Still trust him more with ball in hand than say, Balta

Reactions: 1 users
This bloke is a poster child for the term confidence player.
I'd have him booked for his match day recovery with Emma Murray, and his Thursday training warm-up with her too.
I wonder if anyone has developed a Performance Enhancing Drug that makes a player believe in themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Being backed in more by the coaching staff giving him a set position should help.
I'd have him booked for his match day recovery with Emma Murray, and his Thursday training warm-up with her too.
I wonder if anyone has developed a Performance Enhancing Drug that makes a player believe in themselves.
Was quite funny watching him at one point today- he frequently gets into good positions to defend and punches when he could easily gave taken a mark - today he did that and punched the ball but found it landed back in his hands for the mark, much to his surprise. It’s totally a confidence thing - he’s got great hands, good athleticism but seemingly very low self belief.

Reactions: 2 users
Was quite funny watching him at one point today- he frequently gets into good positions to defend and punches when he could easily gave taken a mark - today he did that and punched the ball but found it landed back in his hands for the mark, much to his surprise. It’s totally a confidence thing - he’s got great hands, good athleticism but seemingly very low self belief.
I keep repeating myself that he tested elite in agility, 20 metre sprint, and kicking for goal at the combine as hard as it is to believe. Bit like where Cumberland is now more so than the rest of the side at this point, their confidence needs a major boost to lift their outcomes on field. Miller obviously needs to apply his strengths and somehow show some mongrel.

Tim English is a player who like Miller doesn't like the rough stuff but I've noticed this year has made a conscious decision to play with some aggression. English's performances have improved as a result with a very consistent year thus far. If he can do it, so can Miller.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I keep repeating myself that he tested elite in agility, 20 metre sprint, and kicking for goal at the combine as hard as it is to believe. Bit like where Cumberland is now more so than the rest of the side at this point, their confidence needs a major boost to lift their outcomes on field. Miller obviously needs to apply his strengths and somehow show some mongrel.

Tim English is a player who like Miller doesn't like the rough stuff but I've noticed this year has made a conscious decision to play with some aggression. English's performances have improved as a result with a very consistent year thus far. If he can do it, so can Miller.
I posted an opinion two years ago suggesting Miller spend the summer in a boxing gym. Would do wonders for his physical and mental strength and self belief.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn’t seem to be a one grab mark. Even yesterday when he took marks on his own they were double grabs. You can’t do that in a contested situation because it gets knocked away. Don’t know if that is a confidence thing or not but needs to grab them first time.

Reactions: 4 users
Doesn’t seem to be a one grab mark. Even yesterday when he took marks on his own they were double grabs. You can’t do that in a contested situation because it gets knocked away. Don’t know if that is a confidence thing or not but needs to grab them first time.
Hard to one-grab when you go for marks single handed. That's self-preservation.

100% noticed that too on Saturday. Against the top teams, talls must be one grab marks. I think he's good enough technically to take them, but needs to prove it. I'd agree its a confidence thing - as with just about every aspect of his game - he doesn't have the self-belief at this level. Will he ever get it? We wait and see.

Hard to one-grab when you go for marks single handed. That's self-preservation.
Most of the time, yeah I'd agree. But with Miller I reckon there's an element of indecision too - it's like his first instinct is to punch, then realises too late he's in position to mark, but by then the punching arm is already up and the ball has arrived.

Grimes was similar early on. Went the punch in every situation before he built confidence in his marking at the level, and the rest is history. I think it's important to remember how few seniors games Miller has played, and assess his trajectory accordingly.