Poll on Twilight Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Poll on Twilight Grand Final

Do You Want to See a Twilight Grand Final (5:00pm First Bounce)?

• Total voters
E

easy_tiger

havnt looked at the draw. But kind of expect to see GWS with an inordinate amount of twilight games programmed. :p

If it is a GWS V Swans twilight GF, there must be a 'Get *smile* Gil' campaign, whereby Victorians mow the lawn at 5, and run over miniature plastic polo ponies, or something.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
And what about those people who work sat evening/night?

the jist of my argument is that there is more likely to be a bigger TV audience at 5pm on a Saturday compared to 2:30pm on a Saturday. Admittedly I don't know what the statistics are when it comes to the amount of people working at those times of the day, but my argument is based on the assumption that more people are likely to have a commitment on a Saturday afternoon compared to early evening. perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think I am. TV audiences are much high in the evening than during the day.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The Lurker said:
No, just greedy and possibly compromise game quality if dewy.

excluding the GF, how many other finals are played during the day? usually 2 in week 1. that's it. the rest are played at night or twilight.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Gil has been travelling pretty well of late.

- a few weeks ago he said a decision on a twilight GF will be announced before round 1 (fail).
- then he said that he forgot to raise it at the AFL commission meeting a few weeks ago (fail).
- today we hear that an announcement will be made this week pending the commission meeting.
- according to 3UZ this morning, there is no commission meeting this week.

what the hell is going on? Has Gil made up his mind independent of the commission? Are they waiting for the right media space (ie. a slow news day) to announce it?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ian4 said:
Gil has been travelling pretty well of late.

- a few weeks ago he said a decision on a twilight GF will be announced before round 1 (fail).
- then he said that he forgot to raise it at the AFL commission meeting a few weeks ago (fail).
- today we hear that an announcement will be made this week pending the commission meeting.
- according to 3UZ this morning, there is no commission meeting this week.

what the hell is going on? Has Gil made up his mind independent of the commission? Are they waiting for the right media space (ie. a slow news day) to announce it?
Polo Pony's not a decision maker, he's a manipulator n schmoozer. He'll hang back n sniff the wind until he's certain exactly which way the stink is blowing before he'll band wagon jump onto the popular option.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The media puppets are back pushing this on the agenda today after supposedly low GF ratings.:rolleyes:

Did they take into account people's behaviours this year?
After lockdowns which skewed eyeball numbers, so many people would have taken the opportunity to watch the game with friends & families at BBQs & pubs.
Not to mention itwas a shitty game & Geelong were playing.

Yeah the fans really want a twilight GF. Newsflash..no they *smile* don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The media puppets are back pushing this on the agenda today after supposedly low GF ratings.:rolleyes:

Did they take into account people's behaviours this year?
After lockdowns which skewed eyeball numbers, so many people would have taken the opportunity to watch the game with friends & families at BBQs & pubs.
Not to mention itwas a shitty game & Geelong were playing.

Yeah the fans really want a twilight GF. Newsflash..no they *smile* don't.

*lowest ratings since records began.

i find it fuinny how people get triggered over the GF starting 2 hours later. its the biggest no brainer of all time.

Its probably already part of the next TV rights deal anyway, but hasn't been announced.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

i find it fuinny how people get triggered over the GF starting 2 hours later. its the biggest no brainer of all time.

Its probably already part of the next TV rights deal anyway, but hasn't been announced.
Yep - I’d totally support a twilight GF

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Meh.
They had to release tickets on the day of the Grand Final to fill the stadium.
Plus the interest in Geelong isn't high outside of Geelong. They are not a big club.
Not to mention the Hawthorn controversy leading up to the game. Numerous people felt the lead up was as flat as they can remember.
Despite the media puppets hype unfortunately I reckon the game is steadily in decline in terms of interest.
Don't think a twilight will save the ratings but like I've said before as long as Richmond is playing I'm not all that fussed.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia

Why exactly is it a no brainer?

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
What will happen if there is ever a twilight GF played then the first one will be the best and closest grand final ever and the the media will be spruiking that we should have done this earlier

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Why exactly is it a no brainer?

first half red ball. second half yellow ball. You get the best of both worlds. Plus atmosphere is better at night. You can introduce things such as fireworks post game. Some of the twilight finals in recent years have had great atmospheres (most of us still remember the 2017 Prelim).

It’s better for retail workers and/or people who work on Saturday. They can still catch the game with the later start. Even if you don’t work, you can still do stuff during the day and catch the game later.

The winners can still celebrate after the game and get home at a friendly hour if they so wish.

Its better on the liver for punters who watch the game at pubs (start drinking in the afternoon instead of lunchtime).

Slightly better time zone if you’re watching in Europe and Asia.

I honestly cannot see any negatives for a twilight GF.

Finally, why do people get so triggered over this when Saturday arvo footy is already dead? The AFL have been trying to kill it for years. If people really wanted to stick to tradition, why have they let the AFL destroy the 2pm Saturday game?

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
first half red ball. second half yellow ball. You get the best of both worlds. Plus atmosphere is better at night. You can introduce things such as fireworks post game. Some of the twilight finals in recent years have had great atmospheres (most of us still remember the 2017 Prelim).

It’s better for retail workers and/or people who work on Saturday. They can still catch the game with the later start. Even if you don’t work, you can still do stuff during the day and catch the game later.

The winners can still celebrate after the game and get home at a friendly hour if they so wish.

Its better on the liver for punters who watch the game at pubs (start drinking in the afternoon instead of lunchtime).

Finally, why do people get so triggered over this when Saturday arvo footy is already dead? The AFL have been trying to kill it for years. If people really wanted to stick to tradition, why have they let the AFL destroy the 2pm Saturday game?

Used to go to the NRL grand final every year with a bunch of mates. Early start get to the ground early morning. Bit of a BBQ and a scratch cricket game. Beers all the way. Game started at 3pm and we were well oiled by game time and by the trip home some/most were the worse for wear.

Then the AFL changed the start time to night time around 7pm. That was in 2001 and they changed the venue to the Olympic Stadium.

We didn't change our routine for the day. Not many made the actual game and were asleep on the bus after 10 hours of drinking in the sun

Just saying a later start time will adversely affect some and their traditional GF get together with mates

But nothing surer the AFL will get their way and the start time will change

Reactions: 1 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Twilight Granny for mine. Plenty of time to party and for Jack to sing on stage afterwards. That's all that matters.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I have a couple of perspectives on this, I was a kid in country Victoria so I understand the challenges for families and travel from those areas, but I also understand and appreciate the need for the game to make enough money to be a success.

While TV puts 80% of the money into the game, I can't see any argument that they shouldn't be looked after in the scheduling. If you don't allow them to get value for money from an audience and advertising perspective then they won't pay.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

One thing I will always cherish about the 2019 Grand Final is that I was able to go with my two boys, 12 and 9 at the time. The memories will be burned into all 3 of us for many years to come, especially when I told them a few minutes before the end to make their way down to the fence any way they could.

If it's a twighlight or night match, those memories don't happen. Either too late for the boys or I wouldn't let them go down to the fence on their own after dark.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Because that’s how the AFL work. They introduce something that looks like a compromise and slowly change it to become the norm. If it becomes a twilight GF, then in 5 years it will be a night game. Was so much fun in 2020 waiting for the entire day for the game to start.

Reactions: 2 users