Poll on Twilight Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Poll on Twilight Grand Final

Do You Want to See a Twilight Grand Final (5:00pm First Bounce)?

• Total voters

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Poor ratings for this GF due to entertainment. Robbie Williams luvely in Pink. About as Oz as a bowl spaghetti bolognaise. The AFL GF is an Oz tradition yet we keep getting these non Oz performers. A combined Military band with their singers would put on a better show than flying in some prima a donna with entourage.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Surprised by the tv ratings. It proves that the Scats and Swans haven't got the pulling power of the Mighty Tiges.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
You probably posted this tongue in cheek, but I think it does have something to do with it.

I am amazed at home many people where I live have become disenfranchised with footy.
Did post initially post it tongue in cheek but there's no doubt my interest in watching neutral teams has plummeted in recent years & I know I'm not alone on that front.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
What annoys me in all of this is that I really wish the same people that are so strong about not changing the start time of the GF by a measly 2 hours, showed the same anger about Thursday night footy being shoved down our throats. Footy fans have their priorities in the wrong order.

Because that’s how the AFL work. They introduce something that looks like a compromise and slowly change it to become the norm. If it becomes a twilight GF, then in 5 years it will be a night game. Was so much fun in 2020 waiting for the entire day for the game to start.

I get what you're saying, but i still disagree. we will never move to a night GF IMO.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Voted Yes 5pm start
It would make for a better spectacle with lighting and fireworks
AFL persisting with fireworks before GF and half time is ridiculous as you can’t see the fireworks

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
halftime entertainment?Why?Thought the entertainment was the footy match?IMO the 2.30 start should stay and those that want further entertainment at halftime would be googling titbits on their I phone for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
twilight for me.
i despise any sunny day game with grandstand shadows.
strangely, i enjoy my focus on the ball & players.
fwiw i thought robbie & his dancers a magnificent lead in to the first bounce.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
What annoys me in all of this is that I really wish the same people that are so strong about not changing the start time of the GF by a measly 2 hours, showed the same anger about Thursday night footy being shoved down our throats. Footy fans have their priorities in the wrong order.

I get what you're saying, but i still disagree. we will never move to a night GF IMO.
I hate Thursday nights, too. They’re slowly normalising that, and wait for Wednesday to become the new Thursday. Of course they’ll move the GF to night if they get twilight across. It’s how they work.

Reactions: 1 user

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
twilight for me.
i despise any sunny day game with grandstand shadows.
strangely, i enjoy my focus on the ball & players.
fwiw i thought robbie & his dancers a magnificent lead in to the first bounce.
Clearly the Swans players took some notes from Robbie and his dancers............................

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I hate Thursday nights, too. They’re slowly normalising that, and wait for Wednesday to become the new Thursday.

if they go ahead with this lunacy magic round idea, they will probably play on Wednesday to help resolve stadium availability issues. I’m sure we will have the GF replay on a Wednesday night as well.

• Sad

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Did post initially post it tongue in cheek but there's no doubt my interest in watching neutral teams has plummeted in recent years & I know I'm not alone on that front.
I can’t recall ever watching less of a final series or a grand final. Maybe it’s bad parenting but at the grand final bbq party I was at, every kid was on their devices and had no interest in the game. After quarter time barely anyone watched the game. I snuck in for a few minutes but it was just boring.

It’s a series of short term decisions the afl have made that is disenfranchising the broader already engaged AFL community. Rule changes and less free to air footy will hurt this long term audience.

Long term though the proliferation of online entertainment (streaming,social,gaming) I think will be the main driver of the decline of many many sports.

Not sure I’ve seen any survey about kids viewing habits but it’s the sword of Damocles that the AFL seen unaware of in its actions. If you wanted to protect the long term future of the game you would do everything in your power to get kids watching games. 1. Have the current fans want to watch it so they take their kids to watch it and their kids see them enjoying it . 2. Make it family friendly. 3. Incentivise to watch with kids. Someone smarter than me could come up with a way to turn the online attractions into links to watching the game. But you need to fish where the fish are. 4. What the AFL have done well is get a whole new set of eyeballs around AFLW and this creates a whole avenue for girls to be more interested in all types of footy. And that is actually pretty accessible to view - free streaming and cheap attendance.

What we are seeing is great deals in the short term that will kill the long term but probably line the pockets of those doing the deals. Always follow self interest.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Would be interesting to see what the breakdown of ratings was, as I assume the drop talks about the totality of the game.

Where I was there was over 100 people watching at the start, by the last quarter there was 3 of us still in front of the TV.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Voted Yes 5pm start
It would make for a better spectacle with lighting and fireworks
AFL persisting with fireworks before GF and half time is ridiculous as you can’t see the fireworks
Vote No.
I reckon anyone dissatisfied with the GF fireworks should just video-record the Sydney fireworks on New Years Eve. You can then watch your recording on the last Saturday afternoon in September while we all watch the grand final at 2.30pm.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I was in the US for the last couple of weeks. Still haven't watched the Grand Final and quite frankly doesn't interest me much