Potential Father/Son thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Potential Father/Son thread

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Good size. If he's kickings good, could be a good wing option for us, especially with Bengals comments above about his marking ability.
Searched his name on twitter to see if there’s any goss and came across this from after his first Coates League game this season. In that game he kicked 1.3 from 15 disposals, with 7 marks and 3 tacklesEF4A9C4C-EB6E-470B-9971-FED29EFF46E5.png

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Yet another Bulldogs father son prospect with Matthew Crofts son eligible.

Has any club been kissed on the *smile* as much as the Dogs regarding father sons? And also scoring JUH with their academy before the rules were changed.

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Back on KB’s grandkids. Charlie(17) made squad for Oakleigh 18’s. Callum(15) made Oakleigh 16’s squad.
KB’s grandson Charlie had a great game for Brighton Grammar v Xavier. 2 goals as a forward. Callum made the Vic Metro u16 trial squad

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sadly father sons play a bit part in success sometimes ( to be fair I am a fan of it).
Look at Collingwood. They have an excellent player in Josh Daicos and what looks like a generational talent in Nick and in the end paid well unders for them.
We have lucked out post Richo and Joel.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Anyone know if Benny Gale's son plays footy at ant decent level. He'd be 15 or 16 and catching up yo Benny in height.

TigerSteve

>30 Year member
May 11, 2009
Murrumbeena
Anyone know if Benny Gale's son plays footy at ant decent level. He'd be 15 or 16 and catching up yo Benny in height.

Not sure how is is currently going. However I did see him play a couple of times a few years ago. At the time, I didn’t think he looked like an AFL prospect, but played ok. Hopefully he’s a late developer like his old man.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Dion prestia when and if he has children will only be eligible for Richmond, fell 7 or so short for GCS.
Jack Graham another who if has children eligible for tigers.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Am I the only one who thinks that either this rule should be abolished or clubs should be made to pay a far higher price for these selections?

Same with the academy picks. The draft should not be compromised. The player pool is thin enough as it is without players going to clubs because their father played there. Brisbane effectively getting two free first rounders is against the spirit of the game IMO.

Just doesn’t seem right.

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Am I the only one who thinks that either this rule should be abolished or clubs should be made to pay a far higher price for these selections?

Same with the academy picks. The draft should not be compromised. The player pool is thin enough as it is without players going to clubs because their father played there. Brisbane effectively getting two free first rounders is against the spirit of the game IMO.

Just doesn’t seem right.
I agree about the abolition, but if clubs are made to play a higher price then why bother having it at all? The whole point of father/son is that the club gets a bit of a reward for the fathers loyalty/ability. Academy picks should definitely be done away with.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Just doesn’t seem right.

I don't think it should be done away with, but they need to get better at how clubs "bid" for players. The current scenario of using a plethora of crappy draft picks to essentially buy a top pick and be allowed a discount to it too, is a massive farce.

Maybe it should be you only get a discount if you actually use a pick from the same round. If you only have picks from later rounds, then the discount becomes 0. Providing essentially a double discount is essentially draft tampering.

Reactions: 3 users

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Yea the trading away of first round picks one year because you have f/s pick and collect junk picks to use the next year is farcical.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Just doesn’t seem right.
There was a time not so long ago, that father son was free to allow a romantic heritage tradition. Dad played a game for a club, that club got the bonus fairy story of his son being allowed to carry on in the fathers footsteps.
Then they re - manufactured the criteria to 100 games played for a club as the flogs in suits felt a need to manufacture an earned history of longer term career standing.
Then they decided this still wasn't a suitable criteria because the game was all professional and there should be minimal advantages or preferences granted to anyone. So they decided to start allowing any club to pick father son kids with a pathetic 20% discount allowed to the F/S club while also allowing bastardised rules for academy zones ( developing juniors phhht ) or kids that have a parent born overseas even if the kid has lived in OZ virtually all his life.
Money n marketing rules over history and tradition every time as far as corporate footy is concerned, more's the pity.

Reactions: 2 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
There was a time not so long ago, that father son was free to allow a romantic heritage tradition. Dad played a game for a club, that club got the bonus fairy story of his son being allowed to carry on in the fathers footsteps.
Then they re - manufactured the criteria to 100 games played for a club as the flogs in suits felt a need to manufacture an earned history of longer term career standing.
Then they decided this still wasn't a suitable criteria because the game was all professional and there should be minimal advantages or preferences granted to anyone. So they decided to start allowing any club to pick father son kids with a pathetic 20% discount allowed to the F/S club while also allowing bastardised rules for academy zones ( developing juniors phhht ) or kids that have a parent born overseas even if the kid has lived in OZ virtually all his life.
Money n marketing rules over history and tradition every time as far as corporate footy is concerned, more's the pity.
Not sure it was free I think it was a third rounder for memory.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not sure it was free I think it was a third rounder for memory.
Only going on fuzzy old fart memory, but pretty sure originally you could simply advise the AFL you were enacting the F/S and pick them up with your last available selection.