PRE Election Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE Election Poll

Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
mopsy fraser said:
i`ve been there 6 months and the other blokes have been there between 2 and 4 years.
a couple of weeks ago we we`re told that they are going to try and get us put on full time soon.
i`m not sure if that`s directly connected to work choices but the article i posted definitey shows that full time employment has increased under work choices.

As far as I know, even before WorkChoices....there were instances that a casual employee for a period of time HAD to be offered a full time position.
I think it was after 6 months 'full time' casual basis.
Some people like changing jobs and having the extra cash a casual position gives them.....others want the full time position for job security, leave entitlements, etc.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
If workchoices is soooooo goooood

Then why are workers worse off? Each and everyone of them I have spoken to in the electorate of Eden-Monaro where I reside have said they are taking home less now than three years ago and working longer hours!

I just purchased 2 new businesses and was shocked at the AWAs the workers were told to sign or they could go elsewhere by the previous owners - I immediately ripped up those AWAs and put them on common law contracts well above the state and federal award rates. Plus reintroduced their penalty rates - happy workers - bigger sales - bigger commissions - bigger profits.

The previous owners drove the very same workers into the dirt with AWAs and the young men and women did not know how to react.

AWAs would work if they were married to productivity - but the employers only align them with cost cutting measures in most instances - there are some who have increased wages but have taken away other employee benefits - hence it looks like the employee is better off but in truth they are not.

PS any mineral and bank boom will make overall employment figures look good - start disecting it by industry and geography and you will see there are many many people worse off and hurting.............

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
RemoteTiger said:
If workchoices is soooooo goooood

Then why are workers worse off? Each and everyone of them I have spoken to in the electorate of Eden-Monaro where I reside have said they are taking home less now than three years ago and working longer hours!

I just purchased 2 new businesses and was shocked at the AWAs the workers were told to sign or they could go elsewhere by the previous owners - I immediately ripped up those AWAs and put them on common law contracts well above the state and federal award rates. Plus reintroduced their penalty rates - happy workers - bigger sales - bigger commissions - bigger profits.

The previous owners drove the very same workers into the dirt with AWAs and the young men and women did not know how to react.

AWAs would work if they were married to productivity - but the employers only align them with cost cutting measures in most instances - there are some who have increased wages but have taken away other employee benefits - hence it looks like the employee is better off but in truth they are not.

PS any mineral and bank boom will make overall employment figures look good - start disecting it by industry and geography and you will see there are many many people worse off and hurting.............

Don't shaft a good argument with the reality of the situation. :hihi

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Meh,if it's so bad why isn't Rudd the leader of the alledged workers party going to dismantle it? ;D

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
My workers are definitely better off, or at the very worst exactly the same.

Small business is perhaps where there effect is the greatest.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
RemoteTiger said:

...and companies will continue to have to provide good working environments to hang on to good staff, whilst unemployment remains low.
Good for you RT.

The bottom line is look after yourself, work hard and the rewards will come from your employer.
If they don't and you are any good at what you do, then look elsewhere.

Having been out of Australia for three years I can see both the positives and the negatives to what Howard's done.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Best tip I got for the election.

My downstairs coffee shop proprietor told me, this morning, that there was an electoral office to doors from the cafe.
It took 5 minutes to duck in, put in my vote, then grab my lunch.

Now I don't have to worry about queuing on Saturday.

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon
Yep, early voted too.

Think I voted for the Greens, they had something about water on their propaganda sheets so that'll do me.

Maybe next time I'll turn up dressed as Batman, just to honour my region. I wonder if anyone does that... :headscratch

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
skybeau said:
Yep, early voted too.

Are you and Phantom followers of the old political dictum "Vote early and vote often"? ;)

PS Good to see Liverpool has finally come round to supporting indigenous initiatives.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Yeh I doSkybeau,I'm planning on dressing up as Carolyn Chisholm this saturday

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
Phantom said:
Best tip I got for the election.

My downstairs coffee shop proprietor told me, this morning, that there was an electoral office to doors from the cafe.
It took 5 minutes to duck in, put in my vote, then grab my lunch.

Now I don't have to worry about queuing on Saturday.

I know how dare they schedule anything else on Draft day.

Terrible.

Its like your fiance/any woman putting their wedding on GF day- or any Tiger game for that matter - disgusting.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:

If you are there handing out cards on Saturday, so be nice to me! (PM me which booth you normally vote at).

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Tiger74 said:
If you are there handing out cards on Saturday, so be nice to me! (PM me which booth you normally vote at).
Are you in Chisholm too?

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon
evo said:

antman said:
Are you and Phantom followers of the old political dictum "Vote early and vote often"? ;)

Yep, I'm planning to wander down to Box Hill and vote again...and have a look at evo's costume while I'm there.

Come on, evo, show us some pics of this costume. We've gotta know what standards we have to meet... ;D

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Vote early!

carolinechisholm.jpg

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
RemoteTiger said:

Remote,
What you are describing is an illegal act by the previous employer in forcing existing employees to sign an AWA.
This isn't WorkChoice's fault....it is the employer's fault for breaking the law:

Do I have to sign an AWA?
Technically, no. Signing an AWA is supposed to be a voluntary exercise. However, there is often a massive power imbalance between workers and employers. Although it would be unlawful for your boss to force you to sign an AWA, it is perfectly legal for an employer to make an offer of employment conditional upon you signing an AWA. Generally, if you don't want to work under the conditions outlined in an AWA, your only options are to try to negotiate changes or turn down the job.
If you feel you have been forced to enter into a workplace agreement, you can report the matter to the Office of Workplace Services (OWS). The OWS also has the power to investigate alleged breaches of the legislation and to take legal action against offending employers.
REMEMBER:
It is unlawful for you to be dismissed for refusing to sign, negotiate or vary an AWA. If one of the reasons for your dismissal relates to such a refusal, you can lodge an unlawful dismissal claim with the Australian Industrial Relations Commission within twenty-one days of the termination of employment.
At least seven days before approving (i.e. signing) a workplace agreement, you must:
* Be given a copy of the agreement or be given ready access to it. The seven-day period may be reduced, but only if both parties agree to this in writing
* Be given an information statement about workplace agreements. Workplace agreements take effect automatically upon lodgement, together with an employer declaration, to the Office of the Employment Advocate (OEA). The OEA issues receipts for the lodgement of employer declarations.

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/Information%20and%20Services%2FCurrent%20Students%2FYour%20Work%20Your%20Rights%2FWork%20and%20Rights%2FAustralian%20Workplace%20Agreements/#_Do_I_have_to%20sign%20an%20AWA?

Also Remote...if employees are working better under your new 'regime', then that is how it should be....and the people who treat their employees like crap will lose their better workers as they seek better employment conditions elsewhere. Let the poor employers go under and let the employers who treat employees good, prosper.
So what is your beef with all this?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Don't shaft a good argument with the reality of the situation. :hihi

Totally agree with you... :clap

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
Ah right.I'm up the other end.Box Hill.

Too bad. Irony is I virtually live there (wife loves Box Hill for grocery shopping and for restaurants, so we are there every weekend. Also she loves the Sichuan place on Carrington is the closest to her home town food).