Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

It's easy to pin the loss on one moment, but Lynch really needs to kick the set shot at the start of the 4th too (I know he would have been gassed). Would have put us 14 up.

Also Carlton would have been playing much more attacking footy had they been chasing at the end so the whole game changes anyway. Can't blame early misses for a loss
Yes but Lynch’s shot was more diffucult and further out. Mansell’s one would have made it 3 goals in a row to us ( I think) and a handy lead before 3 quarter time. It just stood out more than some of the other misses.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know why he had to rush the shot from 5 metres out. It reminded me of some of Bolton's misses over the past two years when he would be in a hurry to get the shot done and dusted and consequently miss.
Battles hard does Nigel but will always be a fringe player.

Reactions: 1 users
We have so many alternatives but find excuses to continue to stick with the below average battler

Reactions: 4 users
I can't recall which passage of play it was exactly, but there was one incident in the 1st half where Melee made a brave intercept that resulted in a goal for us. The Richmond runner made a bee line for Mansell, grabbing him by the shoulders and ruffling his hair for several seconds. Obviously I couldn't hear what the runner was saying but his body language suggested it was a "Well done, Son!!" kind of way.

No doubt runners rev up lots of players when they put in a big effort but the runners body language seemed quite exuberant to me. I'm not paying attention to what the runner is doing in most games but I did notice it this time and perhaps that's just normal.

However, we've had 2.5 coaches in the last 2 seasons and Mansell is often picked ahead of Cumberland despite the latter clearly having better skills and goal sense. There is obviously something that Mansell's doing that Cumbo ain't and we don't see it. And don't give me the boring "he must have photos" *smile*, it has to be related to unrewarded running and the 1% efforts that see him favoured over others that have better skills.

Reactions: 7 users
I can't recall which passage of play it was exactly, but there was one incident in the 1st half where Melee made a brave intercept that resulted in a goal for us. The Richmond runner made a bee line for Mansell, grabbing him by the shoulders and ruffling his hair for several seconds. Obviously I couldn't hear what the runner was saying but his body language suggested it was a "Well done, Son!!" kind of way.

No doubt runners rev up lots of players when they put in a big effort but the runners body language seemed quite exuberant to me. I'm not paying attention to what the runner is doing in most games but I did notice it this time and perhaps that's just normal.

However, we've had 2.5 coaches in the last 2 seasons and Mansell is often picked ahead of Cumberland despite the latter clearly having better skills and goal sense. There is obviously something that Mansell's doing that Cumbo ain't and we don't see it. And don't give me the boring "he must have photos" *smile*, it has to be related to unrewarded running and the 1% efforts that see him favoured over others that have better skills.
1% and chasing backsides all night We've got MJ doing that
Mansell had 1 mark and kicked 1 behind for the game He applies no scoreboard pressure Not good enough

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agree oldie. Coaches would have liked that he put himself in the position to kick the goal. There are others playing VFL ATM who will get there chance in our forward line this year but I doubt Mansell gets dropped for missing a goal. He'll play next week.
Ya think? About 30-70 he plays in my opinion.
1 tackle 58% ground time?.
By other’s standards that is not good enough

Coach-killer.
Well his miss against Essendrugs killed Dimma. To do it again is unforgivable especially given his continued lack of runs on the board. Should be a career killer for not kicking a goal even an aus kicker could kick.

Are we the only club in the AFL where our small forwards never hit the scoreboard.
I said it on wedezdey when the teams came out, what's the urgency to bring him in.

He would be the perfect player to turn into a tagger. *smile* touching the ball, just tackle and harass

Reactions: 8 users
Don't know why he had to rush the shot from 5 metres out. It reminded me of some of Bolton's misses over the past two years when he would be in a hurry to get the shot done and dusted and consequently miss.
Battles hard does Nigel but will always be a fringe player.
Did he not last year when he had a gettable shot at goal from around 30 out and he missed everything. A point from memory the result was a Dra and a goal a win.

It's easy to pin the loss on one moment, but Lynch really needs to kick the set shot at the start of the 4th too (I know he would have been gassed). Would have put us 14 up.

Also Carlton would have been playing much more attacking footy had they been chasing at the end so the whole game changes anyway. Can't blame early misses for a loss
I was hoping Dusty would take the shot. Lynch got too close to the man on the mark.

Are we the only club in the AFL where our small forwards never hit the scoreboard.
I said it on wedezdey when the teams came out, what's the urgency to bring him in.

He would be the perfect player to turn into a tagger. *smile* touching the ball, just tackle and harass
We used to play him as a back pocket
Remember once he was on Kosi Pickett and harassed him all game thought he played well
Dimma tried to turn him into a defensive forward after George and FAarts failed and he’s never gone to the backline since
Hes not a forward offers nothing at all

All about timing.
Mansell’s kick was wrong in so many ways.
Late in the 3rd quarter, in a game where everyone knew we were 3 players down.
You go back, take the 30seconds off the clock, give your teammates rest and build momentum going into the last. Woeful.

Reactions: 6 users
All about timing.
Mansell’s kick was wrong in so many ways.
Late in the 3rd quarter, in a game where everyone knew we were 3 players down.
You go back, take the 30seconds off the clock, give your teammates rest and build momentum going into the last. Woeful.

Said it before and I'll say it again he's just a battler.

Said it before and I'll say it again he's just a battler.
This...
Old fashioned back pocket...
Obsolete position...
Trying to play him as a defensive forward...
Unfortunately he doesn't have elite speed to play that role effectively .
I don't see how and why he gets a game...

Not a fan of Mansell but thought at times today he did OK and made a bit of a fight of it unlike others but he still make errors with lack of thought and vision that is so important at AFL level. We have o look at our list to find someone that will give us more than heart

I’m also a little surprised at how little praise there’s been for his game. Much improved on the week previous. Needs continuity because there’s a bit there to like IMO.

Reactions: 12 users
He’s a battler reminds me of Morris when he was tried as a HF
If we’re hoping Mansell is our answer as small HF we’re accepting mediocrity and it’ll be a long time before we play finals again

Im not his biggest fan but yesterday he was great, couldnt ask more from a small forward. If he keeps his performances at or close to that level, he's the least of our problems

Reactions: 5 users