Richmond Academy zone prospect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Academy zone prospect

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
tigertim said:
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but why GWS get priority access to their academy players but other clubs have to wait if they're passed over 100 times before getting "priority" access?
Just an off the top guesstimate but perhaps it's because the interstate clubs have already had their academies for a few years n supposedly have some ongoing development work happening. Whereas the Vic based clubs have only been given their development regions a couple of months ago and haven't yet done any actual development work with the kids.
This year we get to play with any of the potential leftovers from the draft, but from next year onward I would expect that the clubs will have their academy programs up n running so then will be entitled to the same discounts for picking up their academy prospects.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
TigerMasochist said:
Just an off the top guesstimate but perhaps it's because the interstate clubs have already had their academies for a few years n supposedly have some ongoing development work happening. Whereas the Vic based clubs have only been given their development regions a couple of months ago and haven't yet done any actual development work with the kids.
This year we get to play with any of the potential leftovers from the draft, but from next year onward I would expect that the clubs will have their academy programs up n running so then will be entitled to the same discounts for picking up their academy prospects.

Thats my understanding also TM. The Next Gen academies only come into force officially at the end of the 2016 season.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
TigerMasochist said:

That's my take on it TS. The academies really haven't kicked off yet.

bullus_hit said:
Kirby's beep was around the 11 mark in TAC testing, that pushes him to a late/rookie pick. To put that in perspective, Clem Smith ran something similar and has now been delisted.

Hoping we asked him to tank bully but don't think we are that astute.

E

easy_tiger

CarnTheTiges said:
Must have been Demetriou's favourite book, and he was on the pigs side.

he was Napoleon.

we are a sheep. or a knackered horse.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
so non traditional state means that you cant pick players from all of australia and or that the afl hasn,t got your back financially,or that you were not given a *smile* load of over generous first rounders,its just the afl *smile* way of handing gws a flag or two.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
we can have guys in our area that nobody else thinks are any good, *smile* afl or AGWSFL, ( AUSTRALIAN GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY FOOTBALL LEAGUE)

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
Can someone please summarise what the academy rules in two or so sentences for me, I'm a little confused as to who and how they qualify ?

Thanks in advance.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
GWS must be made more competitive than other clubs. In the AFLs collective consciousness that means flags. Multiple. Soon. B/c no bogan North of
Wagga will give 2 *smile* about them if they aren't.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
GEDS1 said:
Can someone please summarise what the academy rules in two or so sentences for me, I'm a little confused as to who and how they qualify ?

Thanks in advance.

Insofar as I understand it.

The Academy system begins next year. There is some sort of interim arrangement this year along the lines of being able to nominate players who qualify and, if nobody wants them, they can be added to the list as category B rookies- basically an extra player on the list. Obviously, anyone who is any good will be snapped up first but all the clubs are in the same boat, except the four Northern clubs, of course.

From next year, all clubs will have an Academy and the same rules will apply to all Academies, including the four Northern ones. If somebody wants one of your players, they call his name out and you scramble for points to match the bid or let him go to that club.

The difference is that to qualify for one of the new Academies, the boys have to be either indigenous or have at least one parent born overseas. That’s it.

To qualify for a Northern Academy they have to be either male or have at least one parent who once looked at a travel brochure for a holiday in Queensland or Sydney.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
TOT70 said:
The difference is that to qualify for one of the new Academies, the boys have to be either indigenous or have at least one parent born overseas. That’s it.

So who got the NT?

The WA clubs will have an advantage with the indigenous players up there.

How many gun indigenous players have come from northern Vic?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
So who got the NT?

The WA clubs will have an advantage with the indigenous players up there.

How many gun indigenous players have come from northern Vic?

Not sure who got NT. I think it is split between 2 or 3 teams. Maybe Collingwood is one?

Jarrod Harbrow, Jarman Impey and Nathan Drummond would qualify for us under this system. Phil Egan and Nathan Lovett-Murray are past players from our zone. Alipate Carlile’s mum is Fijian so he would qualify under the one parent born overseas rule (Nik Nat would too, for one of the WA clubs, btw). Andrew Walker is another as is Chris Egan (Collingwood). He was a top 10 pick in 2004 who didn’t make it.

Interestingly, does anyone know if Dustin Martin’s father was born in NZ? If he was, Dusty would qualify under these rules.

I get your point though. NT, WA and probably Port Lincoln would be prime zones.

I am pretty sure the club is excited about the Sudamese communities that fall in our zones.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
TOT70 said:
Insofar as I understand it.

The Academy system begins next year. There is some sort of interim arrangement this year along the lines of being able to nominate players who qualify and, if nobody wants them, they can be added to the list as category B rookies- basically an extra player on the list. Obviously, anyone who is any good will be snapped up first but all the clubs are in the same boat, except the four Northern clubs, of course.

From next year, all clubs will have an Academy and the same rules will apply to all Academies, including the four Northern ones. If somebody wants one of your players, they call his name out and you scramble for points to match the bid or let him go to that club.

To qualify for a Northern Academy they have to be either male or have at least one parent who once looked at a travel brochure for a holiday in Queensland or Sydney.
*smile* the AFL