Richo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo

he mentioned some former players came by for the announcement, anyone know who outside the listed guys rocked up?

Tiger74 said:
he mentioned some former players came by for the announcement, anyone know who outside the listed guys rocked up?

Unfortunately the camera didn't really pan around for the press conference, except for a brief shot of his family who were all there. Rates the 2001 Semi-Final win over Carlton as the greatest moment of his career, and said he has learnt something off every one of his coaches.

Tiger74 said:
None of the Midfeilders except for Knighter out of guilt to the crap delivery over the years to the great man.

Tiger74 said:

Ask SEN they'd know everything.

Though there have been greater tigers, for people my age, 28 or there bouts, who first memories stick out of the tigers are the Pickerings, Micheal Mitchell, around tht 88 era, he has been the greatest tiger for our age group. Missing out the on the classic era of the tigers, for me he is the greatest tiger

I watched it on AFL link too. Worked fine. Fox sports to have on their news too soon.

He seemed light hearted and happy. Told a few jokes. Looking forward to a big afternoon with a few of the boys I think.

He said he has had a gut feeling for a while and on Mon the doctors said his hammy had gone backwards so the decision from there was easy. Talked about the supporters a lot. Basically said the thing he will miss the most is just running onto the G and playing.

Said he was lucky to play for a club with a passionate supporter base, and that he hope the club and the supports get the success we deserve.

Just heard Richo to be on SEN just after 11am news too.

Richo just mentioned our biggest 'WHAT IF' ......."we were in momentum and then Northey left".....

Just mentioned Max Hudghton was his hardest opponent. Said he never had a good game against him.

Leysy Days said:
Absolutely. Today has cost the club a packet. It will hit the clubs finances hard.

Too true. This will make a massive difference to the bottom line. Need to be smart, have a gala farewell at Crown, put out the normal signed stuff, can still cash in but the membership numbers will fall.

SCOOP said:
Too true. This will make a massive difference to the bottom line. Need to be smart, have a gala farewell at Crown, put out the normal signed stuff, can still cash in but the membership numbers will fall.
If it happens we should try through the club to have a pre table or 2,3,4.

Subi oval after a bad loss to West Coast a few years ago now.Usual post match function Richo with a few other players signing autographs. As he was busy head down signing I thanked him for coming up to see us adding how much we appreciated it when it must be the last thing he felt like doing.He turned and looked straight at me and said "thanks mate I really appreciate that" and went back to signing god knows how may autographs
Just a champion

Good interview on SEN, probably better than the press conference.

Relaxed and just stuff like best oponent, best team mate, good times, bad times etc. Really good, the stuff you want to hear.

I liked the finish when he said that all the well wishes he was getting, and from people who used to boo him now saying they love him.

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?&url=http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/121109_Calls3.mp3

Jack said:
Good interview on SEN, probably better than the press conference.

Relaxed and just stuff like best oponent, best team mate, good times, bad times etc. Really good, the stuff you want to hear.

I liked the finish when he said that all the well wishes he was getting, and from people who used to boo him now saying they love him.

bloody client rang and I missed the whole thing :(

SCOOP said:

The Den will probably double the price of Richo merchandise, but realistically, the memberships won't be as high as 30,000 next season considering Dimma's declaration that we have to accept losing games until our kids mature into a competitive team.

Jack said:
OMFG!!! I just watched sports tonight on 10 and got the shock of my life. I didn't know. Holy sh!t.

I am so shocked. Not because he is retiring, we all knew it was coming sooner rather than later, but because from all reports it sounded like he was ok and had 1 more year in him.

I just feel so empty. And I feel sad for Richo. The way he has retired just sums up his career. He just seemed to never really have a lot of luck. Injuries, umpires, and never able to enjoy team success and get some reward for his efforts.

The thing I am happy for Richo though is the love. Not just the love from us, but from all football people. In the last few years I have been really happy the way everyone just seems to love Richo. Its like people started to relise just how good for the game players like Richo are, and his personality and passion won people over. People who hated him started to say " hey he is a good bloke and he loves the game, and he has been a great player ".

Sure he made a donkey of himself a few times, but overall he was a great champion and he is a credit to himself, our club and the game. His bad days were not as regular as people make out, and it is the overall package the made us love him.

What I loved about him the most was his emotion and passion. When Richo was angry or upset, I was always as upset as he was. Whether it be another umpire, or another sh!t kick from some dud team mate the fell about 10 meters short of his lead, I would feel as frustrated as he was. I liked that when Richmond were having another sh!t day, that Richo was as upset about it as me.

Finally on a positive, it does make this new Richmond era feel very real now. A lot of players gone, many big names, but now with Richo gone it is like a new club. We really are like a new club now. It really feels like we are starting again. Hopefully in a few years we will look back on this time as the time that the old Richmond was left behind and a new successful Richmond we all are desperately hoping for has started.

Lastly I personally feel very sad and reflective. I am still in a bit of shock about the news. I just feel sorry for players like Richo and Knights and Campbell that they played at our great club, but were just there at the wrong time and just didn't get much success. It just reminds me what a waist the last 27 years have been. That our great club has been the worst performed club for too long and at the moment it is not a great club. I just hope this summer is the start of our club becoming a great club again so our next champions and next heros can play in finals and grand finals.

cheers. Richo, I love you man.

Awesome post.

Reading the Rich thread on BigFooty will give you a pretty fair indication how gutted the AFL community is, not just us.