Richo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
When i told my 6 yr old daughter the news this morning she said "no daddy no,Richo is the best chuck out the rest"

BladeTiger

Our new Full Back?
Apr 22, 2004
What a black, sad, awful day. Like many others I am numb and feel little motivation to even see any football next year.

A true champion and gentleman. I was lucky enough to meet him once and every word said about his kindness and generosity with his time is true. As for on-field, you only had to see his 10 goals against the Dogs, and his 200th game to witness how he ignited Tiger fans like no-one else could the last 30 years.  A sad day for football and a black day for the Richmond Football Club.

As a tribute, the following words that describe the GHTO Phase III Falcon sum up Richo to me (I remember linking him to this [my favourite car ever] in a thread a while back):

"The GTHO is the heavyweight champion of Australian muscle cars. At a time when the muscle car was at its peak, as powerful and as fast as it got - a time when traditions like Bathurst and the Holden-Ford rivalry were entrenching themselves - the Falcon GTHO was the most powerful, fastest, heaviest Australian muscle car of them all.[/i] At a time when everything was 'super' - Jesus Christ Superstar, Super Fly, supercharged, Stevie Wonders "Superstition", - the GTHO was the original Australian Super Car" (excerpt from Golden Miles by Clinton Walker)

Thanks for the memories Richo.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
Tiger_4_Life said:
sadly this has all come true....but gee it's funny...we love ya Richo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDW1IGNRKGk&feature=related
that was funny as and knowing richo as he has a great sense of humor he would have loved it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBQuIxNV4w&feature=related

i love this specky !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9zHmU0MZE&feature=fvw

great music

clarrie

Tiger Cub
Apr 21, 2007
:( Just got home to Canberra after a few days camping. Had heard the news on radio but think it took a few days to sink in. Have loved Richo as long as I can remember - and can't even imagine what the season will be like without him. As a kid from Canberra who had Geoff Raines on the back of her first tigers jumper, think richo has been the lifeblood of my team for as long as I can remember. Will be loading the kids and the hubby in the car for round 1 and be down there with the rest of the faithful - so hope we remember and recognise him in a way that brings the house down..... :hearton

Tiger_4_Life

Grimesey!
Mar 30, 2009
Melbourne
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Four days gone and still gutted.

Sometimes life stands still for a while.

Im there with ya mate, wonder how the big man feels about it all....bout as shattered as all of us, would love to see him back down the club asap in some capacity.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tiger_4_Life said:
Im there with ya mate, wonder how the big man feels about it all....bout as shattered as all of us, would love to see him back down the club asap in some capacity.

Richo's probably going through memories and facing reality by now, but wait until Round 1 next season when his emotions hit high. He admitted this on KB's show on Friday morning.

My biggest anger about Richo not seeing a flag or a playing in a GF was what happened in 1995 on that bloody bowl size oval they call the SCG.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
As with so many things involving Richo, the end was imperfect. Supporters imagined having advance knowledge and packing the MCG, perhaps even seeing the big fella get us across the line one last time.

In hindsight though, it may come to be seen as fitting. A new coach, young list, and hopefully more successful era would contribute to that. But with 30 Brownlow votes in his final 30 matches, Richo also went out on top of his game. The vast majority of players, champions included, can't say the same.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
As with so many things involving Richo, the end was imperfect. Supporters imagined having advance knowledge and packing the MCG, perhaps even seeing the big fella get us across the line one last time.

In hindsight though, it may come to be seen as fitting. A new coach, young list, and hopefully more successful era would contribute to that. But with 30 Brownlow votes in his final 30 games, Richo also went out on top of his game. The vast majority of players, champions included, can't say the same.

Good point.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Richo also went out on top of his game. The vast majority of players, champions included, can't say the same.

True L2R but age (and injury that inevitably comes with it) caught up with our champion racehorse eventually.
The serious hammie tear that some thought isolated and recoverable, ultimately proved his undoing sadly.
Durable as Richo has been over the past few years, it was always going to be a challenge to come back from a major injury setback at 35. So as disappointing as it was, it didn't come as a surprise to me that he's pulled the pin, tbh I would have been more surprised to see him go around again.

The running role that Wallace put him in for his stellar last 20 games came with a heavy cost and that added with questionable player management, Richo's brightest flame (on the wing) burned out quickly. Quickly but never forgotten, his 2008 season in particular was brilliant and a joy to watch.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
True L2R but age (and injury that inevitably comes with it) caught up with our champion racehorse eventually.
The serious hammie tear that some thought isolated and recoverable, ultimately proved his undoing sadly.
Durable as Richo has been over the past few years, it was always going to be a challenge to come back from a major injury setback at 35. So as disappointing as it was, it didn't come as a surprise to me that he's pulled the pin, tbh I would have been more surprised to see him go around again.

Credit where it's due ToO, you were consistent and correct with that call.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
OK, we've all had a few days to reflect on the retirement of the big fella. it's been a sad few days, but its time to move on. it's time we all stopped looking back and started to look forward. for all those advocating richo should have played on next year... WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

richo turns 35 in march. has dodgy hammies. only played 6 games this year. we've been blooding jack and postie. could he play on the wing at his age and with his injury concerns? i think not.

make no mistake, the retirement of Richo was a selfless act. but i'm actually wondering if we should be critical of the RFC for not making the call themselves...? was dimma/CC too weak to end Richos career? were they worried about a supporter backlash? let's face it... richo retiring was a bit of a no brainer for the more rational supporters out there who don't see things through rose coloured glasses 24/7. but a lot of us our there would have wanted to tear the clubrooms down if the list management people made the call.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
It was only a no-brainer after he'd given the hammies a work out at training and got the medical reports. To suggest otherwise is entirely nonsensical. A fit Richo would have, at the very least, provided depth in a position where we are clearly lacking and will be completely *smile* should injury strike the wrong guys.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
OK, we've all had a few days to reflect on the retirement of the big fella. it's been a sad few days, but its time to move on. it's time we all stopped looking back and started to look forward. for all those advocating richo should have played on next year... WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

richo turns 35 in march. has dodgy hammies. only played 6 games this year. we've been blooding jack and postie. could he play on the wing at his age and with his injury concerns? i think not.

make no mistake, the retirement of Richo was a selfless act. but i'm actually wondering if we should be critical of the RFC for not making the call themselves...? was dimma/CC too weak to end Richos career? were they worried about a supporter backlash? let's face it... richo retiring was a bit of a no brainer for the more rational supporters out there who don't see things through rose coloured glasses 24/7. but a lot of us our there would have wanted to tear the clubrooms down if the list management people made the call.

who has mandated he run around again after he made the announcement regarding the hammy set back?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ian4 said:

I actually think both the club and Richo have handled this situation impeccably. Credit to them.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
the golden said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBQuIxNV4w&feature=related

i love this specky !!!!

Yeah! The bloke who took the mark, where it was taken and the mark itself....a beatiful exapmle of the speck, made even better by the way Thurstans got the classic knee to the back and went sprawling like a dufus!