Round 1 Ticketing and Other Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Ticketing and Other Discussion

I predicted earlier in this thread that most of (if not all) our reserved seat members will get a ticket. Mainly because people are still spooked from COVID and are reluctant to attend such a large crowd gathering. The numbers at sporting events in Melbourne since boxing day supports this.

The MCG public reserve has 54,000 tickets. That means 27,000 are available for this game. 5,000 to Carlton means 22,000 for Richmond. There are about 20,000 Richmond reserved seat holders. I reckon 75% at most would have applied for tickets (probably less). By my estimate, that leaves about 7-8,000 available for GA members (possibly more).

The public reserve holds 56K. MCC 23K, AFL members 21K (but I've also been told that AFL reserve holds 22K, MCC 23K and Public reserve 55K).

The word is that most clubs will allow 1,000 tickets to the away team. But AFL has also said the clubs can negotiate with the home team for more, hence why Cain Liddle talking to Benny.
The more I think about it, stuff Carlton give them 1,000. Its our home game., paid-up members and we should have as many as our members in as possible.
When we play them again it's likely there will be no restrictions so we don't owe them anything.

Membership Dept said we have about 20K reserve seat holders + 2,000 Coterie.
At a guess, anything from 5-8K will be available for GA members.

The more I think about it, stuff Carlton give them 1,000. Its out home game. and we should have as many as our members in a possible.
When we play them again it's likely there will be no restrictions so we don't owe them anything.
We're unfurling the flags. Liddle should be happy if he's allowed in himself.

Not going to be a lot of money in the gate if it's all pre-paid members.

Reactions: 1 user
This poses more questions. Do we know how Carlton are allocating their tix for R1?

We have Hawthorn away in R2, which is in 19 days. You would think the club will be releasing information about this soon. How will it work? Do 16 game members get priority? Will it be first in best dressed?

I've heard away games will be based on historical attendance against the home team. Meaning those who have attended year in year out will get first shot at tickets, as it should be. This is not set in stone, we'll know soon enough.

EDIT: I should also add that if no cases arise in the coming weeks, we are likely to go to 75% capacity in either RD's 2 or 3

I've heard away games will be based on historical attendance against the home team. Meaning those who have attended year in year out will get first shot at tickets, as it should be. This is not set in stone, we'll know soon enough.
Wow, I would be surprised and pleased if that's how it works.

Not sure I'd say that. There won't be many tickets left if they're going on sale two days before the game. Will be surprised and pleased if I get one.

I guess there's still a chance they'll raise the capacity before Tuesday.

I suppose I originally thought GA members would be lucky to see many tickets at all but it looks like there will be at least some thousands of tickets available to GA members. It's better but lots will still miss out.

We're unfurling the flags. Liddle should be happy if he's allowed in himself.

Not going to be a lot of money in the gate if it's all pre-paid members.

Yep, definite revenue hit there. We should really be pushing for bigger capacity given we are unfurling flags but somehow I doubt it as I suspect they want to see if 50,000 at the MCG has any effect first.

DS

I suppose I originally thought GA members would be lucky to see many tickets at all but it looks like there will be at least some thousands of tickets available to GA members. It's better but lots will still miss out.

Yep, definite revenue hit there. We should really be pushing for bigger capacity given we are unfurling flags but somehow I doubt it as I suspect they want to see if 50,000 at the MCG has any effect first.

DS
I respect your last point DS. But there is zero logic behind this. The notion (not yours) that we will all of a sudden risk an outbreak from nowhere just because the crowd capacity is increased to, say 75% when there is zero reported cases in the community is ridiculous and frankly, tiresome.

Waiting is back Baby,
I thought I would post this here as it’s nearing the first round.

I wanted to personally thank the many posts, messages and personal messages sent to me while I was away.

To those living in Melbourne who have written beautiful , touching, advice and showed an unexpected compassion to me, I would like to return a little back. A thank you .

Where: Royal Hotel before the game between the Tigers vs the Blues?

Date :March 18

Time : 5.30 ish for a drink then you can head off to the game.
No bookings are being taken just walk-ins. I can buy you a drink and we can all chat outside??

Address: 287 Punt Road Richmond

PM me if you would like to meet the ‘nutcase’ behind the name. I will be there around the time.

Waiting.

If it’s going to be hard maybe we can wait till such time that we can sit inside???
Great to have you back Waiting, you've been missed.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

EDIT: I should also add that if no cases arise in the coming weeks, we are likely to go to 75% capacity in either RD's 2 or 3
What the article meant in saying tickets away team members will be based on past attendance records is if the away team has previously drawn large crowds vs the home team they will be allocated more tickets.
It’s not individual.

eg Richmond will get more tickets as the away team vs Geelong than what north Melbourne would.

I know I am jumping ahead. For round 4 when we play port in Adelaide has anyone got tickets for this game yet. Thanks.

I'm hoping to go to this game, but I have no intention on booking flights til i know i have a ticket. I have no idea how this process would work or whether i have any chance at all of scoring a ticket.

I respect your last point DS. But there is zero logic behind this. The notion (not yours) that we will all of a sudden risk an outbreak from nowhere just because the crowd capacity is increased to, say 75% when there is zero reported cases in the community is ridiculous and frankly, tiresome.

mate, there was a case who went to the test cricket. some people have short memories.

I'm hoping to go to this game, but I have no intention on booking flights til i know i have a ticket. I have no idea how this process would work or whether i have any chance at all of scoring a ticket.

mate, there was a case who went to the test cricket. some people have short memories.
There are no international flights at the moment, but that won't be for much longer and then anything can happen.

I love your content Ian, but you need to reconcile the facts.

A. The patron was not infectious whilst attending test;

B. There were no infections as a result of the above;

C. There were some community transmissions at that point as a result of the Northern Beaches cluster. There is no community transmission now. We have also commenced the vaccine rollout as a key preventive measure, albeit slowly.

D. There is absolutely no reason Vic cannot align with other states and have at least a 75% crowd cap.

Reactions: 4 users

How Richmond members will get a ticket to the MCG for Round 1 (paywalled)​

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
March 11, 2021

Richmond says the “vast majority” of its members will gain access to Thursday night’s season opener against Carlton.
As AFL clubs attempt to satisfy both rank-and-file members and those paying for premium access, the Tigers have successfully catered for all of their reserved seat members seeking a ticket in the ballot to the season opener.

While Richmond has 87,496 members so far this year, club chief executive Brendon Gale told the Herald Sun on Thursday that most, if not all, of their paid-up, full members who were seeking tickets would gain entry.

Richmond’s general admission members will find out next Tuesday if they can get to the game.

The AFL has given clubs permission to prioritise the most expensive membership categories.

Power clubs including Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood have taken this path.

Collingwood will allow a two-hour window for its Legends and Club 5 categories when it opens up its ticket sales next Tuesday.

Under Richmond’s ballot system, successful reserved seat members will be able to sit in their customary MCG seating areas, while those who were unsuccessful in the ballot will still get tickets but in a different area allocated by Richmond.

They are then guaranteed they will sit in their normal seats the next time they enter the ballot.

The Herald Sun understands a decision to lift the state’s guidelines to phase two — which would allow up to 75,000 fans at the MCG — will likely run out of time.

But Gale said the club was keen to see more than 50 per cent crowds back at the footy.

“All the club’s eligible reserved seat and reserved bay members that successfully entered the Round 1 ballot have been allocated a ticket,” he said.

“Beyond that we anticipate the vast majority of members that want to attend the game will be able to do so, but that picture will become clearer next week.

“Our members have been very understanding and patient — this is a different environment we are working in and it can change very quickly.

“If we can get 50 per cent crowd capacity at our games we are confident that the vast majority if not all our members that want to attend will be able to do so.

“But clearly we want more — 50 per cent is a long way off meeting overall supporter demand. We need as many people back at the football as possible within the current constraints.”

The league has not lost all hope of as many as 60,000 fans filling the MCG, but it likely running out of time.

The State Government would have to decide ahead of Tuesday, when tickets go on sale, that it wanted to see an enhanced COVID-safe plan for more than 50 per cent capacity.

The league will await the State Government’s direction rather than directly pushing, aware that it should not take a short-term opportunistic approach when it can show how safely 50,000 fans can be seated at the MCG.

Its view is that once that is proven the State Government might quickly increase capacities, with state Sports Minister Martin Pakula saying on Saturday increased crowds by Round 1 were unlikely but not impossible.

Collingwood’s tickets for the Friday night blockbuster against the Western Bulldogs go on sale on Tuesday.

The Pies’ Club 5 and Legends members will get two hours of priority access before members with reserved seats receive another period of access.

Tickets left over will go to normal members including 11-game members for the MCG clash.

A Collingwood’s Legends Membership is a $750 membership, while the Club 5 membership is a five-year package which guarantees a Grand Final ticket should the club qualify.

Essendon, still angry the AFL did not schedule its game against Hawthorn at the MCG, will also allow its premium members first access.

The club’s High Mark and Silver reserved seat members are in Priority Group 1, with Priority Group 2 the bronze reserved seat members, with general admission access members in the third group.

I love your content Ian, but you need to reconcile the facts.

A. The patron was not infectious whilst attending test;

B. There were no infections as a result of the above;

C. There were some community transmissions at that point as a result of the Northern Beaches cluster. There is no community transmission now. We have also commenced the vaccine rollout as a key preventive measure, albeit slowly.

D. There is absolutely no reason Vic cannot align with other states and have at least a 75% crowd cap.

The difference is pure numbers. 75% of Adelaide Oval is 40,000. 75% of Optus Stadium is 45,000. 75% of the MCG is 75,000. 30,000 more is a massive difference in a compacted area.

And going back to your point B, the first community case from the Northern Beaches cluster popped up in Melbourne on December 31 (after the test had finished). they had found someone at the cafe had attended the cricket during contact tracing efforts. Something similar could happen with the footy, but here you will have much bigger numbers to deal with.

That’s not to say the crowd cap won't be lifted. the state government has already hinted about lifting the cap as the season progresses. I reckon the first 2-3 weeks will be a test of how quickly we can get people in and out of the stadium at 50%. If it all goes smoothly, then I’m sure it’ll increase incrementally.