Round 11: the ear hair games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 11: the ear hair games.

Mihocek is a deadset lionheart. Mobile, ferocious competitor. And Cox is 7 feet tall and honest in the air.

I know they didn't play last night (they only kicked 10 goals) but Elliott is a star who plays tall and then you throw DeGoey up there. Plus Hill and McCreery. It's not a bad forwardline. Very Richmondy.
You mean ex Richmondy.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
For context, the umpire who paid the controversial free kick to Darcy, Matthew Nicholls, was close to paying a free for a similar incident about 10 minutes earlier.

There was a pack on the outer wing and Nicholls called for a bounce. Sidebottom was the last player up and had the ball. Nicholls called his name at least twice that I could hear, requesting the ball be returned to him, but Sidebottom placed the ball on the ground. Look at the footage—Nicholls scowls at him and I reckon, at that point, decided anyone else time-wasting was going to get done.

Perfect for Nicholls that it was Collingwood who transgressed again.

For what it's worth, placing the ball on the ground or allowing it to spill away at stoppages, rather than returning it to the umpire, is a little thing that's crept into the game that I'm happy to see unwound.

The next thing that needs to be fixed is creeping over the mark, particularly when we have peanuts aggressively running to and pointing at some imaginary spot, then deliberately running a metre or more past where the mark was taken.
Good post. Very interesting on previous sidebottom incident. And agree on the delay in giving ball back that has crept in. Seen it often this year, player holds the ball out towards ump, small delay while he looks around to check his team mates are organised, THEN gives it back.

I'm surprised at the level of outrage TBH. Some outrage sure, but the level is OTT. And given the context Number 8 gives, its a free, and actually good umpiring!.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Didn't watch. What did he say?
You'd have to watch the presser. Maybe it's just me but seems to draw the crowd (journos) with a bit of humour like he's a stand up comedian (different to Dimma's style). Asks questions to them, digresses a bit, has a giggle: "you know Will Parker played cricket last year?...heh heh...it's a great story isn't it" . It's like he's having a chat with mates at the pub.

Once again, maybe it's my weird way of seeing things, but I see no other coach speak like this and never get scrutinised. I suppose they've barely failed under him in the last 2 and bit years to see what coach pressure is really like, as Ooze copped from day 1, but I've seen him speak like a psychologist when they have lost a game.

He even says he wasn't aware of that free kick where the ball wasn't handed back to the kicker. Really?????

You mean ex Richmondy.
Yes.

On the stand farce, I saw at least one Collingwood player get told to stand after a Docker had the ball boundary wing camera side, second quarter I think. The man on the mark crabbed inside a la the hated Richmond way that motivated the ruke change, got told to stand again, kept moving further inside, then the Docker played on.

A bit later on after a mark I heard an ump say, "Stand-play on...stand..." trailing off in hopelessness. This is one thing that's not the umps' fault, other than the inconsistent policing that is their hallmark.

Reactions: 4 users
The philosophy shiit he spills will come to an end.
It was ok 2 yrs ok now its unbearable
Best thing is the statement he made last year that there's no certainty he'll remain coach for too long. I just hope they don't go B2B to try and create a dynasty which would make him move on quicker and when he does, there's a chance either Pendles gets the coaching job or someone else and surely they wouldn't succeed as much as Fly has. Surely!!! We wanna see the Wobbles again!!! :LOL:

For context, the umpire who paid the controversial free kick to Darcy, Matthew Nicholls, was close to paying a free for a similar incident about 10 minutes earlier.

There was a pack on the outer wing and Nicholls called for a bounce. Sidebottom was the last player up and had the ball. Nicholls called his name at least twice that I could hear, requesting the ball be returned to him, but Sidebottom placed the ball on the ground. Look at the footage—Nicholls scowls at him and I reckon, at that point, decided anyone else time-wasting was going to get done.

For what it's worth, placing the ball on the ground or allowing it to spill away at stoppages, rather than returning it to the umpire, is a little thing that's crept into the game that I'm happy to see unwound.

The next thing that needs to be fixed is creeping over the mark, particularly when we have peanuts aggressively running to and pointing at some imaginary spot, then deliberately running a metre or more past where the mark was taken.
Good pickup. Hard to know if the Pies player did it deliberately as a time wasting attempt? Be interested to know if the ump had called time-on, if he had it cannot be time wasting.

Agree on this over the mark thing. It's a massive blight. That pointing to an imaginary mark that is always beyond where the mark was taken. They just need to pay the 50 wiuthout warning if the player clearly runs over the mark. Do it a few times and it will stop.

As is the whole stand/outside 5 rubbish. Sometimes they call stand immediately, other times they give the player time to decide whether he wants to stand or back off.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not worried about our future I'm certain of it. We are going to be tripe for at least the next 5+ years. Have absolutely the worst young players list in the comp by a country mile.
You say that everytime we lose a game

• Haha
Yes.

On the stand farce, I saw at least one Collingwood player get told to stand after a Docker had the ball boundary wing camera side, second quarter I think. The man on the mark crabbed inside a la the hated Richmond way that motivated the ruke change, got told to stand again, kept moving further inside, then the Docker played on.

A bit later on after a mark I heard an ump say, "Stand-play on...stand..." trailing off in hopelessness. This is one thing that's not the umps' fault, other than the inconsistent policing that is their hallmark.
Exactly. This is no small thing, the voice trailling off thing, you hear it all the time, 'STa..., OUTside ff...., play on' its comical. Imagine how far you would get trying to explain what is happening to a visiting foreigner? The rule is unnecessary and un-enforceable, a perfect storm of stupid. Add to that the general sloppy state of umpiring and its a complete shitshow.

The thing that I find pretty amazing considering the disruption to the game, one thing among many, is that creeping over the mark is not much different, maybe even no different, to what its always been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Good pickup. Hard to know if the Pies player did it deliberately as a time wasting attempt? Be interested to know if the ump had called time-on, if he had it cannot be time wasting.

Agree on this over the mark thing. It's a massive blight. That pointing to an imaginary mark that is always beyond where the mark was taken. They just need to pay the 50 wiuthout warning if the player clearly runs over the mark. Do it a few times and it will stop.

As is the whole stand/outside 5 rubbish. Sometimes they call stand immediately, other times they give the player time to decide whether he wants to stand or back off.
Agree 100% on the player setting his own mark which of course is 2 or 3m over. Not in the spirit of the game, the ump sets the mark, and very easy to eradicate as you say.

The other thing that drives me mental is players not involved in the marking contest coming in with a slightly late spoil/ grab/ pushes player over. A blight on the game that is very easy to eradicate, there is a rule against it, but they pay 1 on 20 and inevitably everybody whinges. Pay it everytime and it stops in one week.

There are some things thats are hard to get right and consistent, but the league is nowhere near getting the easy stuff right. Hopeless

Reactions: 5 users

Notice how he called out: "Collingwood...err.....Fremantle free kick"? That C word is programmed into these flogs.

• Haha
The plastic Huns are in town at Dimma's favorite hotspot. Cartoon lose and it's more fun, the Huns lose and it's proved they're no good away from home.

The rule is unnecessary and un-enforceable, a perfect storm of stupid. Add to that the general sloppy state of umpiring and its a complete shitshow.
Perfectly summed up!

Reactions: 1 users
The time wasting decision is an interesting one.

I have seen the footage but not the rest of the game.

The rule is clearly there and does not mention whether time on is called or not, as time wasting can happen when time is not being counted because it gives players time to get back behind the ball.

There are teams who do take their time giving the ball back to the umpire to make sure the ground is set up right for them. If that is the case then pay this every time, then it will stop.

I would think the main issue here is that this is the first time it has been paid in a while, it impacted directly on the result of a game and players have been getting away with this so often and for so long they are genuinely surprised when the rule is enforced.

As usual, the real solution is to enforce it every time or change the rule. It really isn't that difficult, make a decision on whether this should be a free kick, under the current rules it should be a free kick, and enforce the rule as written.

Ironically one rule they do have a problem with because it is such a mess, is the stand rule. Again, simple solution: if a rule is unenforceable then get rid of it. It detracts from the look of the game anyway so should be gone.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Going by the hysteria surrounding this decision and based on me turning the TV off at 3/4 time, I assumed that it led to the last score in the dying seconds. I was surprised to see there was 6 and a half minutes to go and another 3.1 to be scored but “this” was the definitive moment of the game. I reckon I saw at least half a dozen *smile* decisions/non-decisions in the first 3/4 that affected the result.

That said, Collingwood fans feeling they were dudded out of a win is an excellent way to start the weekend.

Reactions: 6 users
Port are nothing but a train wreck waiting for disaster to happen. Cornhole better start waking up to himself and announce this publicly. Brother or no brother under Kenny Boy.

The umpires have decided to make their own rules up now. Just hold onto the ball for an eternity and if you’re tackled, just throw it. There is no such thing as HTB. Especially if you are Patrick Chucker Cripps.

Reactions: 2 users