Round 2 - Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 2 - Other Games

Feb 25, 2007
Haha stick that carlscum. Two games in a row that the blues have let through 100+ points
RD 1 - 105
RD 2 - 106

Zac Williams is a total turnover merchant

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Mildly entertaining first half, but neither of these two sides are finals bound IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Carlton being described as "plucky" in some sort of glowing praise is kinda funny. 9 years in a row they have lost their first 2 apparently
And something like 6 years in a row at 0-3

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
And Murphy has to go.
Has a knack for finding it but you can see the game passing him by. Had great goal sense for a mid but it seems to have deserted him. If they can't get over the Dockers at home, I suspect the axe will fall. And even if none of their supporters can admit it, they will be rueing the decision to take Betts back ahead of Butler.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Teague is fast running out of free passes.

They'll start to come for him if the Blues are still floundering.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Williams is on more money than most of our midfield and I wouldn’t take him ahead of any of them
Probably astute, but the awful thing for the Bloos is that tonight he has still been better than about 6 others; the likes of - Casboult, Dow, Fisher, Murphy, Setterfield, Williamson. :eek:

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Probably astute, but the awful thing for the Bloos is that tonight he has still been better than about 6 others; the likes of - Casboult, Dow, Fisher, Murphy, Setterfield, Williamson. :eek:
SPS only got going late. He has been pushed out of position by the back five who played almost every game last year + Saad.

Weitering is a real good anchor but they will lose most games where 15-16 goals are going past them.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Seemed to me like Figgy went the flood in the 3rd again. He can't help himself.
That's the whole game plan, really copied from Paul Roos at his finest in the successful Swans era. The only thing is he employs a basketball element with two huge, ruckmen-size defenders (the brilliant Moore and his assistant role-player in Roughead) supported by other talls who are really good marks (Howe) or just another spoiler (Magden) to provide a pack defence that either mark or spoil aerial attacks, making it very difficult for opposing tall forwards to hold a mark. Grundy can get down to help out. That's 3 tall defenders bigger than Tom Lynch.

Then the swarm of small defenders gather the crumbs to run it out. They always make sure they outnumber the defence and have players behind the pack ready for the HB back to ensure the ball is cleared by someone with a bit of time to find an escape route.

When the opp pressure is really high, they then bring the ball up the field by slow short-pass transition. It's even easier now with the new 'freeze' rule. Just vacate space so some else can time a run back into it. They do this well, led by Pendles and Sidearse, to keep possession, taking the heat out of their opponents' run. It's just keep-uns-off. Great clock-killer too if in front late.

But if they get a chance to move it fast seeing an advantage forward because the opposition have all moved too far forward from frustrated attacking, they can go quickly to some handy mobile forwards, or to another basketballer again, whose height is a threat or SFs can gather the crumbs.

It's a really boring, safe game-plan. But, unfortunately it works well often because it has a lynchpin backman who is very talented and the team is quite disciplined, plus skilled in kicking and HB. To beat Colonwood, it's got to how it was with Rance at his peak. Teams have to have someone who can really combat Moore. I must look back at what the Moggies did to belt them badly in that 2020 final but pretty sure that had enough big forwards who stopped their big defenders dominating the air.

Sorry; I'm sure you, and most on PRE, know this well. I just hate how this game-plan kind of works often for Buckley. I just hate that.

We found the way to break down this kind of GP - usually - by our pressure, which we would ramp up to break them down, cut down space and time, force them into disposal errors or tackles/turnovers.

Unfortunately, I think this new 'freeze' rule reduces any team's ability to really ratchet up the pressure.

Reactions: 9 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
SPS only got going late. He has been pushed out of position by the back five who played almost every game last year + Saad.

Weitering is a real good anchor but they will lose most games where 15-16 goals are going past them.
Thought SPS was one of the better players for them, can still deliver the ball under pressure. Weitering always good. Jones has fallen into the bad habit of hanging onto arms before the contest and is getting pinged.
But their FL lost the game; nothing up there except McKay and cameos by Gibbons, and Martin, but he disappeared when the going got tough in 2nd half.
Moore the match-winner again. The huge loss for the Bloos is C. Curnow - could make all the difference in attack.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Another shocking performance by Carlton.
My view of their team last night,
*Dow, is their Fiora, will never be a top quality mid. Huge error
*Murphy, too slow, should've retired.
*Cripps, either the game is way to fast for him now or he is doing a Cameron and preparing to leave.
He was shocking last night. Slow and disinterested.
*SPS, Ok but not a defender.
*Williams, will be the number 1 man, not the 5th man like at GWS.
*Fogarty, not sure why they recruited him.
*Mckay, young key forward, that needs to get more desperate, reminds me of Vickery.
*Jones, shocking footballer, clumsly
*Docherty, if you can't man up in defence your in big trouble, his opponents always have space.
*Walsh, best player on their list.
*Plowman, useless
*Martin, classy footballer, but did Teague move him away from the forward line??
*Weitering, good defender.
*Fisher, good footballer, but at times plays like a chook with his head cut off.
*Pittonet, what more do you want from a $270k Ruckman.
*Curnow, no good, game is too fast for him.
*Newnes, when Stkilda get rid of you, you should know your no good.
*Gibbons, There version of Aarts.
*Casboult, and then they wonder why they aren't any good, worse footballer in the comp.
*Saad, good footballer, we shouldve delisted more to try to get him, he wouldve been unreal in our side.
*Setterfield, another Dud. A nothing footballer.
Overall a very ordinary team list.
Not sure they have enough talent in the kids to climb out of the bottom 6-7 teams in the comp.
They made Collingwood look like a free following/fast football team last night.
2 weeks in a row they have conceded 15 goals, thats bottom 4 material.

Reactions: 4 users