Round 22 - the dead goldfish games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 22 - the dead goldfish games.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Disagree. A shovel is a throw. It’s in the rules definition. They just don’t apply it. Like the shrug to raise an opponents tackle high. It’s been in the rules for years. They just let Selwood get away with it until Jack G turned up.
It ain’t that hard.
The issue is the AFL don’t mind illegal stuff if it keeps the ball moving. This they won’t penalise throws.
Fair enough but I disagree. it is difficult to see many of the throws as an umpire. It's physically impossible to see some of them, but as I previously said, the interpretation of a handball has changed a lot from the old days.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Disagree. A shovel is a throw. It’s in the rules definition. They just don’t apply it. Like the shrug to raise an opponents tackle high. It’s been in the rules for years. They just let Selwood get away with it until Jack G turned up.
It ain’t that hard.
The issue is the AFL don’t mind illegal stuff if it keeps the ball moving. This they won’t penalise throws.
That’s correct Miles Davis. I had this debate with TBR some time ago.

The definition of handball is:

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

‘Hitting’ is the operative word. But of course, our bs AFL and our bs umpires are applying their own interpretation which is to ignore the ‘hitting’ part and instead defer to just touching it and otherwise shovelling it off.

Just one of many examples of the bs AFL and the bs umpires in it not applying their own rules.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Fair enough but I disagree. it is difficult to see many of the throws as an umpire. It's physically impossible to see some of them, but as I previously said, the interpretation of a handball has changed a lot from the old days.

Considering half the crowd can see the chuck, and there are 3 of them on the ground who are supposed to be looking specifically for players breaking the rules, this is a weak excuse.

Is this good enough?

You really think this is good enough?

DS

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Considering half the crowd can see the chuck, and there are 3 of them on the ground who are supposed to be looking specifically for players breaking the rules, this is a weak excuse.

Is this good enough?

You really think this is good enough?

DS
I'm not commenting on whether it is good enough, I'm commenting on how difficult it is to police. Yes half the crowd can see it is a throw, the other half say it's not depending on which side you go for. It's not as black or white as you make out and if the ump is on the blind side, how can he possibly adjudicate on it? Like pretty much every rule there is inconsistency because the rules are so interpretive.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
A few on here with greater intel on juniors than I have rated Winbager and Owens very highly on the 2021 draft thread
Agreed. However because both were injured with little exposed form in their draft year there was more risk.

I'm ecstatic with Sonsie, Gibcus and Clark.
Happy to see how Brown and Banks go.
Though like you I think I,d preferred we went mids.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm not commenting on whether it is good enough, I'm commenting on how difficult it is to police. Yes half the crowd can see it is a throw, the other half say it's not depending on which side you go for. It's not as black or white as you make out and if the ump is on the blind side, how can he possibly adjudicate on it? Like pretty much every rule there is inconsistency because the rules are so interpretive.

Nothing interpretive about a throw. Ump on the blind side you say? Yeah, that's why we introduced 2 umps back in 1976, and increased to 3 later.

You are providing a defence, by implication that is saying it is good enough. This is not suburban football, this is a billion dollar competition, not good enough.

DS

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Nothing interpretive about a throw. Ump on the blind side you say? Yeah, that's why we introduced 2 umps back in 1976, and increased to 3 later.

You are providing a defence, by implication that is saying it is good enough. This is not suburban football, this is a billion dollar competition, not good enough.

DS
Ah no I'm not implying that at all. Time to put the queue in the rack I think. We obviously disagree and that's fine. Just remember though I'm right.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Agreed. However because both were injured with little exposed form in their draft year there was more risk.

I'm ecstatic with Sonsie, Gibcus and Clark.
Happy to see how Brown and Banks go.
Though like you I think I,d preferred we went mids.
The industry knew enough about Windbager before he got injured as he played well for Vic Metro and was an Australian U/15 basketball representative but to be fair it looks like everyone ignored him to a degree.
Just been nominated this weeks rising star.
Many clubs will rue their decision to overlook him