Round 4: the root canal games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 4: the root canal games.

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
It's pure virtue signaling from the ESGAFL.

All BS sort it behind closed doors if it is really an issue and genuine offence is taken. This stuff can be handled quietly amongst the clubs.

No need for the BS roll out across the media leading news Bulletins either.

Pure social engineering activism nothing more nothing less.
You can tell the AFL and its media is jammed with white-collar jerks who've never set foot on a manual labour job site in their lives. They'd be a wailing mess within two minutes after hearing the profanities fly. 😂

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Perhaps they're Visy environmental ambassadors?
:LOL: I reckon those days are long gone. Clubs get fined $10k for filling a form out incorrectly related to the salary cap so I suspect times are different now.

Not all Carlton’s imports would be high paid of course, guys like Acres, Hewitt and Fogarty were more money ball types but what having high paid imports does do is probably weaken the bottom half of the list. That would be my concern about Carlton but the role players have held up ok so far.

Whether they have the depth and their bottom 6 are good enough is the big question mark for me. That being said Collingwood’s was pretty ordinary on paper last year as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
It's pure virtue signaling from the ESGAFL.

All BS sort it behind closed doors if it is really an issue and genuine offence is taken. This stuff can be handled quietly amongst the clubs.

No need for the BS roll out across the media leading news Bulletins either.

Pure social engineering activism nothing more nothing less.
Well don’t call someone a “big girls blouse”. It would probably be transphobic, a slur or a transphobic slur.
What about calling someone “a soft co*k” is that offensive? Even if he has. Or is the connotation a slur? Can you be charged for “slurring” anyone? o_O

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Because words have to be dealt with in their context.

Why would you say these things to a player if they were true?
To do what players have done for a hundred years. To put them off their game.
All it would be doing is pointing out difference to a person who probably will have struggled in their life with the fact they are in a marginalised portion of society.
Plenty of players would do it if it gave them an edge over their opponent . Gay pride? I guess some still haven’t come to grips with that. Understandable in Aussie rules. NRL, NBL, NSL have all had players come out. Still that stigma in afl
The question to ask is whether you would say to someone else “ hey Jim ya heterosexual”. Of course you wouldn’t
Well I’ve been called a lot worse.
I am not commenting on the Finlayson case which I haven’t really been following. Sometimes rules are made that are an overkill but as I said I haven’t been following what he said to who.
Well I think it has been “overkill” . But that’s just me. The world has gone mad. If someone was upset by being called a “f agg ot”. Is the player he was referring to homosexual? Dunno. If he wasn’t so what. Toughen up. If he is, apologise and move on.
There are bigger issues in the world than someone’s hurt feelings

Ive been called that, a poof, *smile*, pr ick and everything under the sun. So what?

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Well don’t call someone a “big girls blouse”. It would probably be transphobic, a slur or a transphobic slur.
What about calling someone “a soft co*k” is that offensive? Even if he has. Or is the connotation a slur? Can you be charged for “slurring” anyone? o_O
I don’t know the answer to those questions but the context always has to be about the other person, not about the person making the comment.
If you are making a comment that reinforces the marginalisation of a person because of race or sexuality then you shouldn’t be doing it, no matter the workplace. How the individual reacts will depend on that person but what most workplaces do now is just say don’t do it. Which is probably fair enough.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To do what players have done for a hundred years. To put them off their game.

Plenty of players would do it if it gave them an edge over their opponent . Gay pride? I guess some still haven’t come to grips with that. Understandable in Aussie rules. NRL, NBL, NSL have all had players come out. Still that stigma in afl

Well I’ve been called a lot worse.

Well I think it has been “overkill” . But that’s just me. The world has gone mad. If someone was upset by being called a “f agg ot”. Is the player he was referring to homosexual? Dunno. If he wasn’t so what. Toughen up. If he is, apologise and move on.
There are bigger issues in the world than someone’s hurt feelings

Ive been called that, a poof, *smile*, pr ick and everything under the sun. So what?
Everyone is different Willo and to be honest what you have been called has no relevance to the issue.
You aren’t a homosexual male who has probably been bullied and mocked, or an indigenous person who has been racially abused in their life.
We white males have no right to be judging what hurts people and what doesn’t.

Reactions: 3 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I’m old but jeezus people are soft these days. Zero resilience. I actually think outlawing “wrong-speak” and “wrong-think” are destroying society’s ability to handle the tough stuff that we all inevitably face. And before I’m piled on, I do not condone what happened.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Everyone is different Willo and to be honest what you have been called has no relevance to the issue.
Why not? I have give my personal experience
You aren’t a homosexual male who has probably been bullied and mocked,
Well I’m not homosexual, but I have been bullied and mocked.
Is it being homosexual or being bullied and mocked for it?
or an indigenous person who has been racially abused in their life.
You don’t know this at all.
We white males have no right to be judging what hurts people and what doesn’t.
True. But we can give examples of our own experiences. Being gay, black, yellow or brown doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on that

But what I did ask was the player in question homosexual? Was it just calling him a name off the cuff? If so, no big deal to me.
If he is homosexual and took offence, apologise and do better.

If this player is homosexual and wanted to keep it in the closet, the afl has done him even more an injustice by highlighting it. IMO
No need for the afl to publicise how much of a social conscience upholder they are. Especially in light of their own shortcomings on social issues. They’re a *smile* football administration, not the social police.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013

Good questions.
Not nice being on the end of bullying, Willo. It can affect some people for life.
Kids at school can be horrible but (hopefully) most grow up and mature a bit.

Yes many of us (me very much included) have told jokes amongst friends and family or in bars, that would today be VERY frowned upon.
There are some slurs that are now clearly out of bounds. Skin colour, race, sexuality. I'm sure there's more.

I can remember some of the dreadful comments yelled at Sid Jackson and the Krakauer brothers by Tiger supporters. I was embarrased then. I con only imagine the stuff screamed out by Collingwood supporters :(

Times change. What was ok last week isn't today.

If a mate left a putt way short of the hole I would jokingly ask "and does your Husband play golf too"? :ROFLMAO:
I'd wan't to be pretty sure of the audience before pulling that out now.

Maybe Finlayson should have just called the bloke p!ssweak. :cool:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
According to Ian Roberts, the first NRL player to leap out of the closet while still playing dropping the F----t label regarding homosexuality is the same as dropping the N bomb on a black person. There's an article on it in today's Hun, it's deemed a massive derogatory insult.

World's a massively different place from when I was a pimply snot nosed *smile*. Old fart's gotta think twice about what I'm saying at times. Simply can't drop the insults and abuse that was the norm forty / fifty years ago, it's no longer shrugged off or tolerated.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Good questions.
Not nice being on the end of bullying, Willo. It can affect some people for life.
Kids at school can be horrible but (hopefully) most grow up and mature a bit.

Yes many of us (me very much included) have told jokes amongst friends and family or in bars, that would today be VERY frowned upon.
There are some slurs that are now clearly out of bounds. Skin colour, race, sexuality. I'm sure there's more.

I can remember some of the dreadful comments yelled at Sid Jackson and the Krakauer brothers by Tiger supporters. I was embarrased then. I con only imagine the stuff screamed out by Collingwood supporters :(

Times change. What was ok last week isn't today.

If a mate left a putt way short of the hole I would jokingly ask "and does your Husband play golf too"? :ROFLMAO:
I'd wan't to be pretty sure of the audience before pulling that out now.

Maybe Finlayson should have just called the bloke p!ssweak. :cool:
Yes, good, valid points.
It does take a bit to stop, think and reply sometimes. You aren’t sure when an off the cuff reply is going to offend someone.
Once upon a time, you could reply, think nothing of it and life goes on.
Nowadays too many take offence at anything said, not said, done or not done.

You can only try to be a good and decent person. Someone will always still be offended by something. But if you are a generally good and decent person, you should be able to tell them to gagf. That’s my motto anyway :giggle:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Geez I’m glad I don’t play afl.
Those pricks would have hung, drawn and quartered me 30 times. Suspended me for 400 games and fined me several $million.
Just because I call it as I see it
So you enjoy derogatory slurs? Cause they don't mean anything to you?

In Willo's world a fag will always be a fag and a coon always a coon.

You are an an ignoramus - I saw it & I called it!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

You don’t know this at all.

True. But we can give examples of our own experiences. Being gay, black, yellow or brown doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on that

But what I did ask was the player in question homosexual? Was it just calling him a name off the cuff? If so, no big deal to me.
If he is homosexual and took offence, apologise and do better.

If this player is homosexual and wanted to keep it in the closet, the afl has done him even more an injustice by highlighting it. IMO
No need for the afl to publicise how much of a social conscience upholder they are. Especially in light of their own shortcomings on social issues. They’re a *smile* football administration, not the social police.
The very fact that you may have been bullied upholds the point. Don’t mock people because you don’t know their background story
I’m not talking about the afl or Finlayson, I made that clear
Gay people and ethnic minorities are far more likely to have been bullied and abused but as a general rule don’t do it to anyone is the point.
I was once sanctioned for pointing out someone’s height, turned out she was very sensitive about it and my sanction was fully justified

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The Syd Jackson abuse was the first time I heard it. I was young and my Dad asked me when we got home from the game what I thought about it.
My Dad was a pretty gruff person not given to showing emotions. I said I was uncomfortable with it and I hoped Jackson didn’t hear it. His reply was “ good, because if I ever hear you do that at the footy or anywhere else that’s the last game I will take you to. Syd Jackson is a human being, same as you and me”
Always stuck with me. I got abused by some Tiger supporters many years later for asking them to stop racially abusing the Krakouers. I was called a weak *smile*.
I am very glad times have changed but I also do think sometimes we have gone too far.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
The very fact that you may have been bullied upholds the point. Don’t mock people because you don’t know their background story
well fortunately I haven’t mocked anybody
I’m not talking about the afl or Finlayson, I made that clear
No, but I was
Gay people and ethnic minorities are far more likely to have been bullied and abused but as a general rule don’t do it to anyone is the point.
And a fair point
I was once sanctioned for pointing out someone’s height, turned out she was very sensitive about it and my sanction was fully justified
Geez.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
So you enjoy derogatory slurs? Cause they don't mean anything to you?

In Willo's world a fag will always be a fag and a coon always a coon.

You are an an ignoramus - I saw it & I called it!
Get over yourself. Where have I said I enjoy derogatory slurs? It was tongue in cheek. Then you want to make it something else.

Some of you *smile* wits make me laugh. You quote my post then ad lib whatever you want, tell straight out lies as if that had anything to do with what I actually wrote in my posts.

I didn’t mention a fag or a coon. You’re both full of *smile* and a flat out liar. DO NOT quote my post and make out that I said that.

And you’re being a complete c o c k head. You proved it all by yourself. Well done you. I read it & called it..that must make me a champion of the world, by all accounts. Tosser.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
If you wouldn't want your kids to cop it, or DO it, how can you condone it in any way? There's gay people in my family and this *smile* makes me sick. Let alone my wife and son's Asian background. The way to stop it is call it out and sanction it. I would be SACKED in 5 minutes if I did any of this crap. Not that anyone in my workplace would but there is a conspiracy theory wacko I spose thats another story.