Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Hocking's supposedly about to become Geelong CEO. Whatever gets his hands off the controls is good with me.
I heard him asked this question on Saturday and he ducked and dived on the subject which made me think, this is good....he's going.
On reflection, we better be careful what we wish for as if that happens and then McLachlan stays on for another stint.... I could see him engineer Hocking coming back to step into his shoes after a few years with Brad Scott head of Footy ops.... if everyone reckons thing are bad now, imagine this scenario!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The worst thing about sHocking is Australian football lovers are talking about their hatred & pure distain for a pissant league administrator, not their passion for the sport itself. This is your appointment Gil. Congratulations.

Line ball who was the worse appointment by Gilligan? Shocking or Meatloaf?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Hocking's latest debacle (no he's not reigniting AFLX) is sending this McKay/Clark incident directly to the tribunal looking for a 3/4 week suspension.
He really is looking to *smile* the game isn't he?

Not enough has been made of this. There was a bit last night on Fox but silence everywhere else as the rest of the media have sold their souls to Gill and Shocking.

They run the tribunal like a trial. How can anyone defend themselves in said tribunal / trial without knowing what they have been charged with. What a ridiculous situation to put themselves in to. The tribunal is essentially an appeals court yet what are they appealing??

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sydney used their COLA allowance which was meant to be evenly distributed across the whole playing list to recruit Buddy. Subsequently it was removed. Fair enough it was BS from the start.

Did they or was that just the propaganda that was fed to the media about it?

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
He
Not enough has been made of this. There was a bit last night on Fox but silence everywhere else as the rest of the media have sold their souls to Gill and Shocking.

They run the tribunal like a trial. How can anyone defend themselves in said tribunal / trial without knowing what they have been charged with. What a ridiculous situation to put themselves in to. The tribunal is essentially an appeals court yet what are they appealing??
He could have also sent Dangerfield on Vlastuin straight to the tribunal, but strangely... Cough, cough.... Wink, wink..... there was nothing to see here....

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
He
He could have also sent Dangerfield on Vlastuin straight to the tribunal, but strangely... Cough, cough.... Wink, wink..... there was nothing to see here....

So much for the duty of care and the head is sacrosanct! Dangerflop elbowed him in the head after a gutless effort at the ball.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The worst thing about sHocking is Australian football lovers are talking about their hatred & pure distain for a pissant league administrator, not their passion for the sport itself.
One has affected the other in my case.

They've since worded the charge in a very unconvincing way, such that I think they've opened the door for Mackay to be cleared, but a rule change will follow (e.g. brace for contact = same as bump).

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I wonder if I'd be still as invested in Richmond is we were still *smile* over the last 5 years rather than Premiers. RFC matches are the only ones that get watched these days, lost interest in the others.

Reactions: 5 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Just my opinion, but I reckon most AFL supporters share my opinion on this. I'll be interested to know if anyone thinks the game is better now than 12 months ago or 5 years ago? I think that the excitement, skills and standard hasn't changed much over the last 5 years and definitely hasn't changed from this year to last.

So what was the point of changing the rules?
The game this year, in my opinion is demonstrably worse. It's netball. Chip kick. Stop. Stand, Chip Kick. Stop. Stand. All free flowing has gone from the game. Uncontested footy is thru the roof. Contests are down. They are taking the bump and tackle out entirely. It is absolute crap these days. Hocking is a *smile* wit of the highest level.

Reactions: 8 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I wonder if I'd be still as invested in Richmond is we were still *smile* over the last 5 years rather than Premiers. RFC matches are the only ones that get watched these days, lost interest in the others.
I mostly watch other games because of fantasy footy and know a few in the same boat. It definitely has indirect value to the AFL.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The game this year, in my opinion is demonstrably worse. It's netball. Chip kick. Stop. Stand, Chip Kick. Stop. Stand. All free flowing has gone from the game. Uncontested footy is thru the roof. Contests are down. They are taking the bump and tackle out entirely. It is absolute crap these days. Hocking is a *smile* wit of the highest level.
It was very noticeable at the season-opener, without commentators to influence my thinking. On one hand it was good to have footy back, and the game seemed to be flowing, but halfway through the second quarter it hit me that there hadn't been many contests. And the rest of the season has followed suit.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
It was very noticeable at the season-opener, without commentators to influence my thinking. On one hand it was good to have footy back, and the game seemed to be flowing, but halfway through the second quarter it hit me that there hadn't been many contests. And the rest of the season has followed suit.
And it has got worse. The Pies Melbourne game yesterday was almost unwatchably boring. Slow and uncontested for a large part. No flow at all.

Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I would like someone who has plenty of spare time to do some analysis of contested v uncontested footy this year compared with previous years to see if our perception is real.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
And why are Geelong allowed to keep a home game with no crowd when every other club is moving their games interstate?
To add to that case. So if RFC insisted on keeping its HG at the G against Adelaide, even without a crowd, but the SA government refused to allow it i.e. for a SA team to fly into Victoria under sensible protocols, then the Crows could just forfeit the 4 points. Instead of allowing the game to be shifted to Metricon. How about that?

We have all seen the SA government has been prepared to allow 'Covid dirty' Vic teams in to play their teams for their HGs under draconian Covid precautions, when it was actually their release of a contaminated case from quarantine that led to the latest outbreak here and created so much further hardship and damage to Victorians. [It's a matter of great satisfaction to me to see Vic teams win in both cases!}

Of course, SHocking's position and placement at the AFL is all about advantage Geelong - who have been denied premierships by RFC just being too damn good.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Dear Steve,

I love you! Forget the haters. Football is so much better because of you.
Easier to watch, easier to understand. I hope you stay on and become CEO of the AFL when Gillon retires.
I look forward eagerly at the end of each season to see what changes you will make to improve football in the next.
You are simply brilliant and my inspiration. I wake every morning and think to myself, "How can I do my job just like Steve?"
I am still asking myself that question and know that one day if I set my focus just right I will be just like you.

Signed,
Nobody Ever (Not even Steve's Mum!)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I would like someone who has plenty of spare time to do some analysis of contested v uncontested footy this year compared with previous years to see if our perception is real.
Ratio of contested : uncontested possessions

2021 37.8%
2020 40.4%
2019 39.5%
2018 38.9%
2017 37.4%

But I think this largely obscures the fact that teams are using chip, chip, chip to advance now, rather than merely to hold possession in the backline. Tackles per game shows it more clearly:

2021 115.2
2020 126.3 (adjusted)
2019 125.1
2018 129.7
2017 137.0

More dead time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users