Succession Plans - I don’t get it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Succession Plans - I don’t get it

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Worsfold-Rutten seems to be going OK now Worsfold has left.

You could argue it paid off given Worsfold could take some of the covid angst off Rutten's shoulders last year. Bomber fans could comment better on how it went I guess.

Clubs can promote internally in a succession mode or go external of course, but senior coaches should always be developing their assistants. Two obvious reasons, if your assistant coach learns and develops its better for you as a senior coach as it would flow into results, and if you don't develop them they may go somewhere else.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
It doesn’t matter if the incumbent drives the succession plan or not. Playing groups cannot commit head and shin to a coach who is halfway out the door or a “trainee” who doesn’t quite have full authority to demand such.

Even teams at the peak of their powers (see Collingwood 2010) left success at the table due to the ‘no man’s land’ succession plans tend to bring.

They don’t work and are the product of boards / presidents with too much control / hubris.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It doesn’t matter if the incumbent drives the succession plan or not. Playing groups cannot commit head and shin to a coach who is halfway out the door or a “trainee” who doesn’t quite have full authority to demand such.

Even teams at the peak of their powers (see Collingwood 2010) left success at the table due to the ‘no man’s land’ succession plans tend to bring.

They don’t work and are the product of boards / presidents with too much control / hubris.
Colonwood was a forced succession. Poosy n Horse wasn't forced n that seems to have gone fairly well.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Mishandled overt succession plans where they want to lock away the next coach like Mitchell/Buckley because their hands have been forced are the exception. But succession planning still happens - there's too much at stake not to plan for it, it's part of the CEO and execs job, as well as to consider the CEO's own role.

As TM said Roos/Longmire worked, Roos/Goodwin worked and you can argue Worsfold/Rutten worked as well. These were different to the above two situations. People have short memories, or only choose to remember the train crashes of course.

Clarkson will not win another premiership at Hawthorn so even if he leaves end of season at least they get a good luck at Mitchell as a senior coach. That's almost the preferable outcome.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Clarkson will not win another premiership at Hawthorn so even if he leaves end of season at least they get a good luck at Mitchell as a senior coach. That's almost the preferable outcome.

Realfooty podcast opinion is that Clarkson will go early, and this is the desirable outcome for all.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Getting Clarkson to leave early was always Kennet's plan. They just need Carlton or Collingwood to stump up for him now.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I don't believe in (forced) succession plans...they are messy. However, I give a lot of credit to Clarkson for his response especially after he opened up publicly last week. It looks like he will go out with grace and that is pretty remarkable under the circumstances. Jake Niall's article is bang on and for me, Clarkson is showing great leadership.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
:rotfl2Bloody succession plans work nearly as well for clubs as the old hiring the interim coach works after mid season sackings.

Just love it when the big ego's of presidents, boards n coterie / corporate's start digging in to fix the footy side of clubs. As we Tiger fans know probably better than most. It almost always ends in tears n disappointment.
More than happy for all the big noters, shakers, movers n manipulators at Colonwood, Carlscum, Hawforn, Essendrugs to keep right on influencing n fixing their big boy toys, erm, oops, I mean footy clubs.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Did i just hear Doppy Cornes just say the succession plan at Collingwood worked.
Just ask Collingwood fans if it worked?? :rotfl1 :rotfl1

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Succession plans are the biggest load of bullshiit.
A club that wants the so called club champion not to figure at another club mean while trashing the best coach's.
Roo's worked at Sydney and Melbourne because he never wanted to be the senior coach for the long term.
Worsfold-Rutten waste of 12 months, totally useless.
Malthouse had a team primed for multiple flags, destroyed by a president that couldn't face seeing his best mate and favourite player working for the opposition.
Cost them at least 1 flag.

Reactions: 2 users