Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

KB played 400 games and kicked nearly 800 goals, and was a noted hater of training.
Always save your best for the real thing.
He also said that stretching is extremely overrated, which I tend to agree with. He said that he would never get any soft tissue injuries because of his lack of stretching.

I hardly ever stretched while playing school footy and never did a hamstring/calf etc.

Reactions: 1 user
For me last chance.
Regardless How good he is, if he returns after the Xmas break looking like John Candy, its time to say goodbye.
Its Richmond 2022 not Richmond 1992.
Love JC.
Vale JC.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lot of complex science behind it but in simple terms there's two main factors at play.

Firstly multiple training years allow the various systems in the athlete to be levelled out. For example when Sam Walsh gets drafted he has a huge aerobic capacity and ability to run distance as well as any player you will ever find on an AFL list. He doesn't have the strength through the core or the body development required to carry the load required of an AFL season however, and if you turned him lose on the program he could aerobically benefit from then you would break him down.

So in that instance, he actually has to tread water or even go backwards until his other systems are ready to align with the level of training he needs to take that gift into the really, really elite level, which is where he is getting to now.

Most draftees are in a similar position, they run better than the rest of their systems can cope with because the aerobic work is the easiest and lowest risk at their ages.

The other thing that happens is each year you train your ceiling raises. To use Sam as an example again, really basically put, let's say his strength and conditioning was at 75% year one and his aerobic capacity was at 95%.

Year two he might be at 85 and 90 respectively, gained strength but he is not as able to carry the extra mass he has developed.

Year three he might be at 95 and 95, and then year 4 at 100% and 100%, so he is as strong as he ever gets. Then with that strength he can really push himself in training and we might find the 100% for his aerobic capacity is not the ceiling for him, and he might get to 103% or 105%.

From there, it's a lot easier to maintain the level. For a start if you lose 5% over preseason break, you are still at an elite level and can still handle the work to get back, and bodies respond much better to a threshold they have already reached than a new one, so you regain fitness really quickly.

As I said, that's a really crude description and there's obviously a lot more too it than two systems but hopefully that gives a feel for it and how interruptions from injury can really echo through a career for some time.
There’s also a player’s ability to handle training loads.
Blair and Peter Burge took a group through the playing list and showed us how each player has a detailed historical chart on their ability to handle a full preseason program.
Some players even after 5-10 years in the system can only ever handle a certain percentage of the program without breaking down. Think Edwards fell into 85% category as an example. Some far less.
Believe it or not but Tod Elton was used as an example of a player who you could push hard past the 100% barrier without him ever breaking down. Pity he couldn’t find the ball.
Takes time but the club are great at tailoring individual programs for each player because each athlete is so different.

Reactions: 4 users
The reason I'm optimistic with Stack is not everyone can play footy really well at an AFL level like he can, but anyone can get themselves super fit. If they want to.
Yep. Natural talent can fudge the fitness a bit, but mega fitness can never fudge the talent.

Cyril was never a super fit mega runner but he had plenty of talent coupled with some explosive impact on certain game situations. Stacky might never get mega running fit, but if he can impact game similar to a Cyril then I'll happily take it.

Nic Nat, though a ruck and a beautiful palmer of the ball to set up his mids, often has that similar explosive impact on game situations. Plenty love to bag out on him only having a few possessions some games n complain the media drool n sing n dance every time he goes near the ball. But Nic Nat bustin his way through contests smashing space for his mids or ramming the ball forward is a sight worth seeing.

I still believe, if the penny drops with Stacky, that he could be as good as Andrew Mcleod, he is that gifted. Also tough and hard at the ball and doesn't lack courage. It will be a real pity if he doesn't develop the motivation and discipline to reach his ceiling, not only for him but for us supporters. He is a real joy to watch in full flight. Got my fingers crossed it starts this year and he keeps that going for the rest of his career.

Reactions: 5 users
The two way running that players have to do these days is insane. If you can't do that, you won't play.
True.
Does Sydney not 2 way run?
I have not read many posts on here, but I didn't think his 2 way running was an issue.
Training might be an issue though. And most of us can understand that.

The two way running that players have to do these days is insane. If you can't do that, you won't play.
Dusty's never been a renowned two way runner. Perhaps Stacky's trying to learn from the best. See ball, get ball, use ball well n save valuable energy by not having to chase arse too often.

December is the worst of The Abyss months I reckon. Once you get to New Year’s Day you’re over the hump and moving back down the other side, but until then it’s hard going.
I hate January the most, everything crawls, people are half on holidays, searing heat, two weeks of TENNIS!

Tuesdays & January. Calendar calamities. April & Fridays. Calendar kings.

Reactions: 2 users
I hate January the most, everything crawls, people are half on holidays, searing heat, two weeks of TENNIS!

Tuesdays & January. Calendar calamities. April & Fridays. Calendar kings.
But …but… Aussie ! Aussie ! Aussie ! Oi ! Oi ! Oi !!!

So depressing…

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Off season programs are recorded on their watches and info is accessible by the club. Fact.
If Stacky didn’t complete his required work load, do you think they would have signed him up so close to the start of preseason?
I don’t.
In fact I heard he was training with Bolton in WA.
Lots of supposition and heresay regarding his condition atm.
He may not have flogged himself during the off season, and maybe he should have, but it’s a very very long season.
Amazing
Follow his Instagram
Been in Melbourne . Fact
But you can believe he was in WA if you like
Walking along the Yarra is hardly sticking to any program
Suggest you get down to training and have a good look
Done little off season

Amazing
Follow his Instagram
Been in Melbourne . Fact
But you can believe he was in WA if you like
Walking along the Yarra is hardly sticking to any program
Suggest you get down to training and have a good look
Done little off season
Well he was at Twin Falls in Queensland in mid October with Pickett, Rioli and Eggy for a start so not sure you know as much as you claim to.
Keep guessing.

Last edited: